Welcome to PatsFans.com

Christine O'Donnell's provocative question

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  2. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

It's like she's there to make Sharron Angle look less crazy. What's great though is that we can witness Christine devolve into a monkey before our very eyes!
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +190 / 7 / -23

The playbook of the right, it is not important what she said or what she says, it is not important in her belief that what she desires is sometype of "chaste" theocracy.. what is important is that by electing her that congress will be more fiscally responsible...

Anyone who believes that is incredibly stupid and or incredibly naive. O'Donnell is about 4.5 cans short of a six pack.. on a good day.
  4. voorter

voorter Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

crazy shcik
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -9

She should take a close look at Al Franken, he looks just like f-cking baboon.
  6. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Interesting choice of words, and I defer to your expertise on that subject.
    It's poorly worded and I doubt she understands what she is talking about, but the problem is her question raises a good point. First of all, I should point out the modern evolutionary theory does not hold that man evolved from apes (or monkeys). Rather, it claims that men and apes share a common ape-like ancestor. Nevertheless, there are some legitimate "missing link" questions in evolutionary theory, which even proponents of evolution agree are not fully explained. Not to mention that evolution does absolutely nothing to address the biggest question of them all: How did life get started in the first place? Nobody has any clue how that very first life form appeared out of nothingness. I mean there are all sort of theories involving amino acids to electricity to panspermia but there really is still no consensus whatsoever.

A lot of the liberals in this group have made repeated bigoted and ignorant assumptions about me and my beliefs. Apparently their mothers never told them what happens when you assume. I'm sure the above post will only produce more of the same.
  7. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

8. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Ha ha, good one.
  9. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

As much as I believe there is evolution, there is no proof of real evolution yet.

So that clip is just Bill Maher ( I like Bill ALOT ) just taking someone opinions, and blowing them out as a looney.
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

A better question would've been:

"Why haven't giraffes evolved into a human like creature, and why did some monkey's choose NOT to evolve?"

Didn't this lady believe in witchcraft not too long ago? Reminds me of a teenager and their many phases....

Just when you thought someone from Deleware couldnt put their foot in their mouth more than Biden.....the Tea Party gpoes to the polls! The funny thing is that somehow they tea-baggers are proud of this lady-clown?

should be an interesting election.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  11. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +154 / 2 / -1

What do you want as proof? Are there specific reasons you may be skeptical about the evidence supporting evolutionary theory?
  12. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

There is no evidence of one species turning into another one. You can cite dogs, and other animals as changing and micro evolution, but there is no proof or missing link to show that one species as defined by DNA, turned into another one.

I probably believe it has happened, but there is no proof, it's only a theory, and she's entitled to her opinion on it.
  13. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +154 / 2 / -1

There is plenty of evidence supporting evolutionary theory. That is why it is a theory. In science, something being a theory isn't "only a theory" -- it means there is a good amount of evidence supporting it and that it hasn't been disproven.

Given the timespan of evolution, I don't know if there could be "proof" (I'm not a biologist or geologist, etc)

But saying that she's entitled to her opinion doesn't make her opinion reasonable. If you disagree with that, just ask her to support that opinion -- if she offers any response (yes, I realize this is hypothetical), I'm confident it, unlike evolutionary theory, would be riddled with mistakes.
  14. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

All im saying is there is no proof her view is incorrect as well... and via that clip she was attacked and not given a chance to explain. There are tons of examples in science where theories are held as truths only to be proven wrong hundreds of years later.

Watch any show on discovery about the cosmos, and it's funny listening to them talk in facts as if they are there on those other planets and know as a fact how things billions of miles away work and act...

So overall, my point is, people are entitled to their equally unproven opinion.
  15. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +154 / 2 / -1

Did I say she isn't entitled to her opinion?

She's entitled to her opinion, but she's not entitled to avoid questioning or criticism of her opinion. Has she explained her view at all? Because if she does try to support an anti-evolution view, there will be plenty of evidence that she is wrong, and I'll guarantee that pretty much anything she claims will be demonstrably incorrect.

I haven't followed this O'Donnell / Maher thing, but my understanding is that she has in fact been given a chance of explain -- I think she has an open invite to come on the show again. Understandable that she may not want to, but the claim that she doesn't have the opportunity to explain herself is false. (especially given that she could addres it any time via the prss, now that she's a candidate)

I don't think you'll find many scientists speaking in terms of "truths" and "facts" regarding theory -- maybe I'm wrong overall, but the scientists I've known have been much more aware of what is proven, or provable, than laymen.
  16. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +21 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I remember in a Biology class many years ago we went over the strength of the different terms such as hypothosis, theory, and law.

If something is termed a law it is 100% correct and provea
    ble, such as Boyles law concerning gas and absolute pressure and volume.

A theory is around 98% of certitude that the idea is correct. So there is enough evidence to say your 98 % certain that evolution is correct and explains how we got to were we are.

I know its confusing but at the moment i have writers block and can't explain it any more clearly.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  17. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Again, THROUGH OUT all of history, more theories have been proven incorrect, rather than correct.

So that 2% sure does come up quite a bit then eh?
  18. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +154 / 2 / -1

How many of those were actual scientific theories, subjected to any kind of systematic testing and scrutiny?

But, yes, theories can be incorrect. Nobody disputes that. Your repetition of this is a strawman that in no way validates O'Donnell's opinion.
  19. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

Sigh. I have gotten into many arguments with people from church about this. Unfortunately, I think there is fear that being open to the accepted science will undermine faith. I think it is hard to argue with the idea that evolution happened and is happening. The question is: is the mechanism of evolution sufficient to explain the diversity of all life? I think the jury is still out on that.

I think that one example of theories that were later invalidated is Newton. To be fair, his theories were really refined by Einstein, who showed that Newtonian mechanics were incomplete.

Science is never really "settled", as new knowledge or better means of measuring and observing natural phenomena lead to further refinements. I think that there is a vast amount of stuff that we still do not know.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  20. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +154 / 2 / -1

Good post, Brandon.

I'm not religious, but I don't see any inherent conflict between science and faith.