Welcome to PatsFans.com

Christie + Tea Party = No?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

I thought Chris Christie was a big Tea Party favorite, no?

What happened?

(CNN) – Republican Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey will endorse Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney at a Tuesday afternoon event in New Hampshire, two sources close to the governor told CNN Chief National Correspondent John King.

Christie passed on his own run for the White House last week and suggested he might endorse a candidate in the 2012 race.

BREAKING: Christie to back Romney – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Tea Party seems a little light on the calories.

Chris Christie is starting the "Pizza Party", gunna run with Herman Cain in 2016....

you heard it here first!

3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +919 / 7 / -3

Christie is one of the few people I'd consider voting for. I say consider cuz his positions on issues wouldn't really be known unless he ran. Still, I wish he chose to run. Now it will be Monty Brewster 2012!

This is actually a really good endorsement for Romney, who I happen to believe will be the GOP nominee. A lot can change, and nothing is certified, but Romney is my horse in the GOP race. I think he wins the nomination. I won't vote for him though. I think Romney is also the GOP's best chance, and Obama's least favorite opponent. Critical for Romney will be to pick a VP that excites the people who like him least. Tea Party, base conservative types. I think Romney will do well with moderates and independents alike. It's the base of his party that might give him the finger.

4. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

That film never gets old....

Watched it the other day....

In today's climate its even more poignant. Dude wants to waste money as fast as he can, what does he do? He runs for office.

5. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Why do people confuse the Tea Party with the Evangelicals and the Christian right? I just dont get it. Sure some factions in the midwest are little more than Evangelicals with three pointed hats and support the Bachmans and Perry's of the world, but they are the minority of us. Thats media spin.

The Tea Party factions that I associate with generally support Ron Paul, as do I. Again, the media spin and blockade of the true Tea Party candidate has been, well, phenomenal.

6. Gainzo

Gainzo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +103 / 2 / -3

#11 Jersey

I think the problem is that there is no real definition of what the Tea Party stands for. When the movement started it was all about low taxes and small federal government. I have no problem with that.

It seems to have morphed into something else (Christian "values," bigotry, etc).

7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +919 / 7 / -3

It truly is a timeless movie. I watched it with my wife a year or so ago, as she had never heard of it. She absolutely loved it. It's one of those films that you can watch with anyone too. There aren't any uncomfortable scenes or moments in it.

Because when you do, you get....

...people to think like this.

The Tea Party is entirely about low taxes and limited government. It all started with the bailout of the banks under Bush, and grew with Obamacare, the trillion dollar stimulus, and more bailouts like GM. Christian Values and "bigotry" aren't a part of it. Not unless you tune into certain shows that want you to believe so.

8. shirtsleeve

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Tea Party didn't really morph. We are like a starfish movement without a central focus. I know there are some "arms" of that starfish that embrace the Christian right. But they are a small fraction of the total. The media focuses on these factions to discredit the whole.

Correct. Or read certain blogs, both on the left and the right. See the pubbies, or the branch of them up on the hill now, are just as much for a large central govt as the Dems and Libbies of all sorts. We threaten the status quo for all. Hence we are a common enemy of both, and therefore face discrediting from both.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  9. Gainzo

Gainzo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +103 / 2 / -3

#11 Jersey

When was the last Tea Party rally? If I was part of the Tea Party movement I would distance myself from the Michele Bachmann's, Herman Cain's and Joe Walsh's.

Why has the Tea Party allowed themselves to be aligned with those idiots?

10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +836 / 27 / -33

There were 640 People at the Tea Con Convention in Chicago, when Breitbart made his comments about Jeanine Garafalo... that was a great message about the cause.

11. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

But when it's just a movement, particularly a movement within a party, you can't blame others for now knowing what the "real" tea party is.

If the tea party wants to define itself, it needs to become a real party / organization.

Is there a true tea party candidate running for the GOP nomination? If so, who is it / are they?

12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Kinda like the Wall Street protesters?

Kinda like what 13, Beck, Cantor et al do to the Wall Street protesters?

13. shirtsleeve

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah. Ron Paul. But the movement isn't just for disenchanted pubbies.

14. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

Of course -- I shouldn't have forgotten about him.

Going back to the general point, though, I've heard Bachmann described as a / the tea party candidate, I'm pretty sure at least one other self-proclaimed tea party member here tout Cain as the tea party candidate, and I've even heard people (not here) refer to Perry as a tea party candidate.

Is Gary Johnson tea party?

So while I hear what you're saying about establishment pubbies being threatened, and I don't necessarily disagree with it, it's hard to know what the "tea party" truly is when it's a broad and decentralized movement.

15. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

the problem with the tea party is simple...

Without a majority, they need to clamp to a party (republican) Once they get elected, they become the enemy of the very movement that elected them.

Its odd...

I give them props for protesting, even though the movement was astroturfed by Freedomeworks and the Koch brohers...

Chris Christie is obviuously no dummy when it comes to elections. He knwos he'd be a whipping boy this year, he knows the tea party...isn't a party. He's taking 4 years off. gunna hit the buffet at golden corral, maybe wash it down with a diet koch.