Welcome to PatsFans.com

Christian fired for sharing God during off-hours

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by 3 to be 4, Mar 28, 2007.

1. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Christian fired for sharing God
    University, agency that sacked woman on trial in federal court
    Posted: March 28, 2007
    1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2007 WorldNetDaily.com

A Christian woman is battling a California university and state social agency for terminating her internship because she shared her faith with co-workers during off-hours.

Jacqueline Escobar was completing a master's degree in social work at California State University Long Beach when she interned with the Department of Children and Family Services, or DCFS.

A straight-A student, Escobar was complimented regularly by the DCFS for her work. But she came under scrutiny for sharing her faith with co-workers during lunch breaks and after-hours, and for changing into a shirt with a religious message – "Found" – after signing out for the day, according to the Pacific Justice Institute, which is representing her.

A trial is scheduled to begin April 3.

"Through this case, we hope to send a powerful message to government employers: you cannot trounce upon the First Amendment rights of people of faith and expect to get away with it," said Brad Dacus, president of Pacific Justice Institute.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=54906
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  2. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Good riddance. Go bop your bible elsewhere ya jesus freaks.
  3. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Why do you say that? Unless she was being disruptive, and there's absolutely no indication she was, I don't see where the university gets off here.
  4. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

dont you have some blacks or hispanics to complain about?
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Leave it to World Net. Not a single quote or comment from the university. Certainly, based on the one-sided information, the university sounds like it was completely in the wrong. I bet there's more to this story.
  6. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Usually you bring more to the table than "well I just bet......."

why dont you find out what exactly you "bet" she did from any source you like to justify her firing.

that would be a fairer response than just saying "I bet..." because you have a bias.
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

I agree about world net, they go whichever the wind blows and anything that can fit their agenda does, I know this will be followed by the could say the same about WAPO and NYT... beatcha.
  8. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

What the heck is she suing for? Not the reason; but what does she hope to get? Interns don't get paid. So she can't demand back wages.
  9. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

I actually did a search before posting, but the only information I found online comes from the law firm representing Jacqueline Escobar and sites that admit to a bias, i.e., such as conservative Christian sites. Everything I read seems to be derived from Escobar's attorney's press release:

http://www.pacificjustice.org/resources/news/focusdetails.cfm?ID=PR060222a

I found NO other information.

If there's not more to the story, then the University's processes are inept. My guess is that she was practicing her faith during work hours, and that's based on this sentence in the press release: "She was also directed to refrain from sharing her faith, even during breaks and after work hours." I'd also like to see that evidence that she was directed from sharing her faith after work rather than rely on her attorney's press release.
  10. taltos

taltos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If she is driving the paid workers out of the lunch room with her testimony at lunch every day, I would dump her and keep the workers who I am paying happy. People do have the right to tell someone to shut up and not intrude on their down time. If this request is not respected, it has to be addressed by management.
  11. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Hmm, nothing in the MSM? No trouble finding anything on the gay couple not getting the room rented though.
  12. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Actually, I found the gay couple through a liberal blog that linked to a local news station, not the MSM. As far as the Christian who was fired, I don't think it will be news until someone gets the other side of the story.
  13. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +107 / 7 / -10

I am sure the MSM will rush to pick this up! :eek:

I can imagine if the person fired were a gay person expressing their views on gay marrage to folks in the same circumstances. :rolleyes:
  14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

As WND reported, a Christian former employee of Allstate settled a lawsuit claiming he was fired because of an anti-homosexual, anti-same-sex marriage column he wrote on his own time.

J. Matt Barber was a manager in Allstate's Corporate Security Division, its investigative arm, at the Fortune 100 company's headquarters in Northbrook, Ill. After being called into a meeting with two human resources officials who confronted Barber about the column, he was fired.

Personally, I think companies should be able to hire and fire as they chose. Afterall, it is the owners money, and company, and employee's serve at his/her liesure. When government money is involved then different rules would apply, as it involves taxpayer funds.
  15. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +77 / 5 / -7

#37 Jersey

You never cease to amaze me, I agree with you on this, but you want people in office who would crap all over your religous freedoms in the name of a very very small minority. Sometimes I just wish I could pull your head from your *****. How you can support the same canidates as patters and gj do, and still feel comfortable, I understand you don't like republicans but have you ever thought about looking in to the Constitution Party or something like that.