Welcome to PatsFans.com

Christian Ballard is a real GEM

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by T-cat, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-cat

T-cat Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Christian Ballard I 100% see getting picked by the pats. They have been with him once and i believe they see the potential. He has no character concerns that i know of. Is good vs the run and pass. Has good size (could add a few lbs) and is pretty fast for a big man.

YouTube - Christian Ballard vs. Wisconsin

here is him vs wisconsin. i like the hustle plays at :14, :39, and 2:39.
    He is a player being over shadowed by Clayborne. Tell me what your faults are of him :D

2. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Just say 'no thanks.'

Currently he is a better athlete than football player, perhaps NE is considering him as a developmental project for OLB, I would not want him on the DL. He is easily blocked, and he has great trouble locating the ball in trash. Play him out on the edge as a DE in an attacking defense opposite someone like Julius Peppers to create single blocker opportunities and his natural athleticism would do the rest. Plug him inside dealing with one or more OL and he struggles. Out of Iowa's top five DL this past season, Ballard was too often the #5 blocking priority for the offense, I can't tell you the number of times I watched him unblocked looking around for the ball carrier who had just scooted by him for five yards.

I would not consider him for NE before Day Three, and then I would not be looking to use him in a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT role.

3. stinkypete

stinkypete In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -1

#24 Jersey

I want to like Ballard, but the knocks on him far outweigh the positives in my book. I don't want another rotational DL who can't shed blocks and who misses tackles.

I love the hustle, love the athleticism, don't love the player.

4. tricktak

tricktak Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ballard isn't tiny but he's just too small for a defensive end for the Patriots. His Combine Height and Weight were 6'4" 280 lbs. JJ Watt and Cameron Heyward are a much better fit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.