PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chris Snee/Matt Light/Justin Tuck: HOF Beckoning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

groundgame

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
All 3 are right there in the discussion, with Light, BC Alumnus Snee and Tuck in that order, for those on the fringe, if their team is victorious in Super Bowl 46.

Last edited:
A lineman who's a Pro Bowl starter more years than not is a strong HOF candidate. Otherwise, not so much.

Light has never been in the conversation for "best in the game at his position right now". He's only been in the conversation for "actually, not that far below those other guys who are considered best in the game at his position"

Not a single one of those players will even be in the conversation for the HOF.

Snee and Tuck still got some years to play but they are not on a HOF pace, Light has been a very good OL and will be starting in he's 5th SB but when you look at the LT's that are in the HOF he's realy not at that level i dont think he will get in

Have to agree. They're simply not in the discussion as dominant players of the era.

Snee and Tuck still got some years to play but they are not on a HOF pace, Light has been a very good OL and will be starting in he's 5th SB but when you look at the LT's that are in the HOF he's realy not at that level i dont think he will get in

The thing about Light is that the quality of his play has far exceeded the raw physical skills he has.
Guys like Pace, Ogden, Munoz that are physically dominant monsters get in the Hall. Lights play on the field, his full body of work, can be reasonably compared to any of his contemporaries. This is his 5th SB. He has been the backside protection for the GOAT QB for his entire career.
While they do not keep these statistics it is almost certain that Matt Lights team's record with him starting at LT is better than any LT ever. (Since Brady is easily the best record by a QB and there careers are the same timeframe I can't imagine any other LT has a better w/l).
Also, it may very well be the case that a win on Sunday would give Light the most rings ever by a LT. I will try to look that up.
In the end, its hard to say Lights career isn't HOF caliber, but the votes won't be there because the protoype behemoth 6'7 350lb LTs are the ones that get in.

Last edited by a moderator:
People take a MLB HoF viewpoint of the NFL HoF way too much, imo.

There are some amazing players who haven't made it into the NFL HoF because it's just not the same. Ben Coates will never be a HoF'er. Irving Fryar will never make it into the Hall. Bruce Armstrong won't be in the Hall either.

All three of those guys are superior at their position to Light. I'm not hating on Light, either, unlike a lot of people I've never lost faith in the dude and he's one of my all-time favorite offensive lineman the Patriots have ever had.

But this is the NFL. Not the MLB. Thank God.

The thing about Light is that the quality of his play has far exceeded the raw physical skills he has.
Guys like Pace, Ogden, Munoz that are physically dominant monsters get in the Hall. Lights play on the field, his full body of work, can be reasonably compared to any of his contemporaries. This is his 5th SB. He has been the backside protection for the GOAT QB for his entire career.
While they do not keep these statistics it is almost certain that Matt Lights team's record with him starting at LT is better than any LT ever. (Since Brady is easily the best record by a QB and there careers are the same timeframe I can't imagine any other LT has a better w/l).
Also, it may very well be the case that a win on Sunday would give Light the most rings ever by a LT. I will try to look that up.
In the end, its hard to say Lights career isn't HOF caliber, but the votes won't be there because the protoype behemoth 6'7 350lb LTs are the ones that get in.

It looks as if (and by no means do I guarantee my research is 100% accurate) Light will become the 1st LT to start 5 SBs, and with a win will tie Jon Kolb as with the most rings for a LT.
Mark Tuinei has 3 rings also. Joe Jacoby has 3 too, but technically was moved to RT when he won his 3rd.

Tuck rules!

See what I did there?

Tuck rules!

See what I did there?
gruden.jpg

Chris Doleman = 8 Pro Bowls + 150.5 career sacks and not in the HOF

Justin Tuck = 2 Pro Bowls + 45.5 career sacks (probably won't get to 100) and maybe a HOFer?

i-lol-d.jpg

A lineman who's a Pro Bowl starter more years than not is a strong HOF candidate. Otherwise, not so much.

Light has never been in the conversation for "best in the game at his position right now". He's only been in the conversation for "actually, not that far below those other guys who are considered best in the game at his position"

In my opinion, all three of them, especially light belong in the Foyer of the Very Good, but none of them get into the Hall of Fame conversation except as the object of an action done by a HoF candidate (ie, look at what XYZ did to Light, a very good LT in these three critical games...)

Russ Grimm is in and he was the 3rd best lineman on his team but as noted by the OP Chris Doleman who was dominant and had 150+ sacks can't get in. The HOF is way too arbitrary and the offensive bias is ridiculous. Kiss the committee's @ss like Grimm and maybe these three have a shot.

In my opinion, all three of them, especially light belong in the Foyer of the Very Good, but none of them get into the Hall of Fame conversation except as the object of an action done by a HoF candidate (ie, look at what XYZ did to Light, a very good LT in these three critical games...)

Well said!

Chris Doleman = 8 Pro Bowls + 150.5 career sacks and not in the HOF

Justin Tuck = 2 Pro Bowls + 45.5 career sacks (probably won't get to 100) and maybe a HOFer?

I don't think Tuck is going anywhere close, but to be fair, at age 28 Tuck and Doleman have almost identical stat lines

Tuck: 61 starts, 45.5 sack, 1 INT, 16 FF, 6 FR
Doleman: 66 starts, 43.5 sacks, 2 INT, 15 FF, 8 FR

Doleman had seriously freakish longevity. He played until he was 38 and had 46 sacks after he hit 35. The chances that Tuck matches Doleman's late career production are miniscule.

I would argue that Matt Light is in the convo. He has been the starting left tackle on at least three super bowl winning teams, and five superbowl teams. He has protected the blind side of one of the greatest QB's in NFL history for his entire career and has been part of some of the highest scoring teams in league history. He has been to the pro-bowl a few times, I believe. I don't know if he makes it, but he is in the convo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes