PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chris Price's Theismann Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Ronnie. We’ve been friends for a long, long time and I think the world of Ron. [But] I’m not happy with what happened. When you sit down in a meeting and they tell you that you’ve had your best year ever, and the ratings have gone up 50 percent and the executives don’t even talk to my boss and tell me that they didn’t like the fact that I talked about football, you have a little trouble trying to process how you could have done better. For Mike [Tirico] and Tony [Kornheiser] and Ron, it’ll be a learning process again, because Ron hasn’t done television. Tony is extremely neurotic. And I think Mike really settled in. I felt like the last six games we really settled in as a real solid team, all of us. And now, they’ll have to re-create that chemistry again. I’m disappointed, certainly I never expected it. But the people at ESPN understand how to deliver a product. I will say this — I believe, 100 percent that you cannot insult the football fan. “Monday Night Football” is about football, and I hope that they continue to deliver that product to the fan. “Monday Night Football” cannot be an extension of “Pardon The Interruption,” because the game is too important. That’s just the way I feel.

He's so full of B.S. I'll give him that Tony Kornheiser can be a distraction from the game, but ESPN thinks that having one pure "entertainer" on the broadcast is going to keep people interested in what at this point is an afterthought game. I understand that logic, even if it can be irritating at times (PS, Tony - Nobody cares about your fantasy team. Those comments should not make a reappearance this year.)

But, what Joe doesn't want to look in the face, and what I can imagine nobody from ESPN wanted to come out and tell him was....well, he's not a very smart guy. His commentary was wishy-washy, not insightful, and at times plain dumb. It got so routine it became a joke: guy completes a pass, he "looks really comfortable and in rhythm out there," he throws an interception four plays later and, "he just doesn't look like he's on his game tonight." He needed to go. They shouldn't have told him it was his "best year."

They should scrap the whole team and go with the Jaws/Vermeil crew, anyway.

I always liked Al Michaels announcing,IMO he was born to broadcast sports games.

Theismann needs to go back to American Gladiators

Note to self: If I ever see Joe in public, never, never, NEVER ask him how it's going...

Good find, though. Thanks.

Seems like an okay guy. Nice to get some candid insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes