PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chris Houston Film...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't Belichick really like Ahmad Carroll?

I have no idea. GB did pay for that love. If BB did love him I'm glad he never got he chance to express that in form of a draft pick.

He was out on the market last year and BB did not grab him.

I'm just passing on info from resoarces that I have seen. They may be right or wrong, but they are both considered top player evaluators.

Good post Patchick, the only problem I see is that your profile for a Pats CB is the same as a profile for the perfect CB. No prospect is going to have everything...

Well, here are some things I didn't list in my Patriots target profile:

- speed
- size
- smooth hips
- top college conference
- pure blanket cover skills

Those qualities are important enough to many observers to keep a guy like Josh Wilson from being considered an elite prospect, and a guy like Michael Coe from getting any attention at all...and on the flip side, to make Chris Houston a possibility as the first CB off the board.

?

Such as? The only thing not right for a Patriots style of play perspective is that he isnt a great tackler on run support. Neither was Samuel coming out but he changed that eventually.

Samuel was always a good tackler. He was just skinny.

as said before, the "draft experts" making the carroll comparison are simply pretending to earn their money by coming up w/ the "o hes from arkansas" assessment. considering the amount of tape available to the common person (si/yahoo/rival), its easy to see the physical ability of houston. while im sure you could find some tape that suggests otherwise, i find it hard to believe a player w/ that kind of strength and aggressiveness could not be at the very least coached into a sufficient run stopper. especially by bill. that being said, w/ the pac man suspension, it seems like the titans would be very likely to take houston at 19, barring some other trade (samuel?).

after watching the video/reading the various analysis, I'd really like the patriots to take a hard look at both meriweather and mcCauley. those who simply use the "foot stomping" incident to justify not drafting meriweather simply dont belong posting. on top of his solid workout times, hes simply a good football player-and those of you concerned about his size should look at the tape and watch him againist 240 lb michael bush of UL. hes rated as the top cover safety in the draft, not to mention his high football IQ/leadership/versatility at corner.

mcCauley is more of a risk. his workout numbers r insane (ran a 4.31 last yr) and his jr tape shows a very good db. it dosent seem like ne1 knows what happened his sr yr, but i think the problem could be positional (suggested by nfl.com, but if you look at the tape it makes a lot of sense). hes a great open field tackler w/ good size/strength/range, which is what you would like in a fs prospect. that, along w/ the fact that he looks much better facing the ball/has more than adequate cover skills againist the slot makes him a very intriguing pick if we were to trade down to the top of the second rd. both players would provide a lot of versatility/athleticism, two things that I think belichik will focus on this yr in the secondary

as said before, the "draft experts" making the carroll comparison are simply pretending to earn their money by coming up w/ the "o hes from arkansas" assessment. considering the amount of tape available to the common person (si/yahoo/rival), its easy to see the physical ability of houston. while im sure you could find some tape that suggests otherwise, i find it hard to believe a player w/ that kind of strength and aggressiveness could not be at the very least coached into a sufficient run stopper. especially by bill. that being said, w/ the pac man suspension, it seems like the titans would be very likely to take houston at 19, barring some other trade (samuel?).

after watching the video/reading the various analysis, I'd really like the patriots to take a hard look at both meriweather and mcCauley. those who simply use the "foot stomping" incident to justify not drafting meriweather simply dont belong posting. on top of his solid workout times, hes simply a good football player-and those of you concerned about his size should look at the tape and watch him againist 240 lb michael bush of UL. hes rated as the top cover safety in the draft, not to mention his high football IQ/leadership/versatility at corner.

mcCauley is more of a risk. his workout numbers r insane (ran a 4.31 last yr) and his jr tape shows a very good db. it dosent seem like ne1 knows what happened his sr yr, but i think the problem could be positional (suggested by nfl.com, but if you look at the tape it makes a lot of sense). hes a great open field tackler w/ good size/strength/range, which is what you would like in a fs prospect. that, along w/ the fact that he looks much better facing the ball/has more than adequate cover skills againist the slot makes him a very intriguing pick if we were to trade down to the top of the second rd. both players would provide a lot of versatility/athleticism, two things that I think belichik will focus on this yr in the secondary
Really sir, for your first post chiding us for doing the same thing the professional scouts and personnel men of the NFL are doing seems in bad taste.

well im sorry if i infringed on your seniority box o rocks. and those professionals you talk about are the same people who had ryan leaf as the next dan marino. so yes, i do question going along with the same assessment as the professionals. besides, bill clearly likes meriweather, so i think its safe to say blindly writing him off as a character problem is mildly stupid.

well im sorry if i infringed on your seniority box o rocks. and those professionals you talk about are the same people who had ryan leaf as the next dan marino. so yes, i do question going along with the same assessment as the professionals. besides, bill clearly likes meriweather, so i think its safe to say blindly writing him off as a character problem is mildly stupid.

This whole draft exercise comes down to a matter of opinions. Yours is not any better than mine or mine yours. But when you tell people they shouldn't be posting and "midly stupid", then it's you sir who is showing stupidity through aggrogance.

You have a different opinion, fine, express it. But don't be putting others down. The Merriweather incident is important until it is checked out by people who have the means to get all of the facts about the player. He's not off my list but I do have a lingering question about what kind of a person he is becasue of it.

The last thing I would base my opinion on is watching HIGHLIGHT tapes of any player. They are just that, HIGHLIGHT tapes, put together by the players agents. They don't so the players LOWLIGHTS which everyone, including Willis, has. They don't show the players attitude, his intellegence, or his character.

Now, go ahead and pop off about my seniority that means exactly nothing on this forum.

Speaking for myself, where have I "blindly" written him off? As for senority, I presume you don't wander into new establishments and upbrade the clientel for their choice in beverages unless you want excitement? Instead of chastising people for finding fault with a prospect who stomps on people during a brawl, perhaps you have better information that shows the deadly spiders he was crushing to save their lives? Your personal assessment which explains why that incident is out of character? Something beyond a scold would be welcome and might make people feel more welcoming.

besides, bill clearly likes meriweather, so i think its safe to say blindly writing him off as a character problem is mildly stupid.

And you have what evidence to support that BB "clearly likes meriweather"? Did he whisper in your ear? Do you have him saying it on tape? Do you even have a SINGLE report that confirms this? Sounds like you're just making a broad statement to support your own opinion without any offering of proof.

i realize that this is just a forum of amateur opinions which exists simply for the enjoyment of pats fans. and as far as the seniority quip, i was simply responding to what felt like someone trying to pull "rank" on me, which seemed uncalled for/illegitmate considering its a chat forum and number of posts dosent equate w/ knowledge. regardless, my statement about that opinion was misinterpreted. i would stand by my claim that if BB has spent considerable time working out a prospect (meriweather), that w/e character concerns may exist, they have likely already been examined, and to proclaim that he does not fit as a patriot would qualify as ignorant and stupid considering that BB ultimately provides the best info on who in fact would fit as a patriot. i wasnt intending to hurt any feelings, i jus thought it was amusing that someone would try to sum meriweathers draft prospects w/ the patriots up as "we dont need a leg stomper"

and in response to "liking meriweather". the scouting department works all year (if not years in advance) examining prospects and reporting back to BB. so long before us draft fanatics get going looking at prospects after the season, the patriots already have a good idea who they are interested in looking at. therefore, if BB puts someone through multiple workouts, i think it is safe to say he likes him. obviously i have no verbal confirmation considering BB never puts any of this stuff out in the press, but id say any prospect that goes through multiple workouts w/ BB would be deserving of the vague distinction of being "liked" by BB-how much I couldn't tell you, but i dont think im reaching here.

All I know about Houston is what I have read and just watched thanks to Yahoo. I see a few problems about Houston that make me dread the Pats drafting him.

1. Fumbled the ball on an interception return (reminds me of Ellis Hobbs fumble during the Broncos playoff game during a kick off return that wasn't the Patriots style)

2. Gets his fingers on the ball, but isn't coming down with the ball. Granted some of those passing in the video were too low even for the wide receiver to have a chance, Chris appears to be jumping the route and still can't come up with the ball.

3. He isn't afraid of going up against a taller, physical and talented wide out. He shut down Sidney Rice and he manhandled Meacham, but I think he might be too physical for his own good. I don't know if it is an attitude thing that could lead to problems off the field or penalities/altercations on the field.

4. Think he will need to start out as a nickel corner and slowly progress to a starting left corner.

Overall, I think Houston is an overhyped version of Ellis Hobbs. I think he can become a good corner and depending on his work ethic and coaching, a great corner. I don't think he showed enough at college level to be drafted in the first round, but definately a find in the second round and a steal in the third or fourth round. The Carroll comparisons should stop at Arkansas. Two different corners.

btw, i was responding to an earlier post when I said people should not "blindly write meriweather off"-it was not in response to your previous post box. its very easy to find isolated incidents that appear to represent a flaw in someones personality. the shooting incident where he returned fire seems like behavior most people would have in that situation. and as far as the stomping, meriweather did not start that fight, and while his actions were poor choices, the incident was blown up by the media looking for an explicit example of "Thug U" in action. he followed w/ an official apology, and in my opinion was unfairly targeted because of his status as a premier player. i would expect rodney harrison to act in a similar manner if someone was nailing our kicker/holder while he was helpless on the ground (I forget which it was). he was regarded as the teams leader, and he reacted hastily to a very complicated and spontaneous situation. nonetheless, he recognized his failure in judgement and apologized. you can interpret meriweather as you like, but when it comes down to it, he is a phenomenal football player, and by many accounts a good person.

If you think Houston looks good in his video, check out Brian Leonard and Anthony Spencer. McCauley and Ross looked good in in their videos, but Beason and Merriweather looked average. Just going on the video.

Apology accepted, thank you. Welcome to the forum! :rocker:

(Spot on about Willis, but don't say bad fit around Sebby and Nut, they'll blame me!) ;)

i realize that this is just a forum of amateur opinions which exists simply for the enjoyment of pats fans. and as far as the seniority quip, i was simply responding to what felt like someone trying to pull "rank" on me, which seemed uncalled for/illegitmate considering its a chat forum and number of posts dosent equate w/ knowledge. regardless, my statement about that opinion was misinterpreted. i would stand by my claim that if BB has spent considerable time working out a prospect (meriweather), that w/e character concerns may exist, they have likely already been examined, and to proclaim that he does not fit as a patriot would qualify as ignorant and stupid considering that BB ultimately provides the best info on who in fact would fit as a patriot. i wasnt intending to hurt any feelings, i jus thought it was amusing that someone would try to sum meriweathers draft prospects w/ the patriots up as "we dont need a leg stomper"

Apology accepted, thank you. Welcome to the forum! :rocker:

(Spot on about Willis, but don't say bad fit around Sebby and Nut, they'll blame me!) ;)

I see you have another member of your posse.:rofl:

I see you have another member of your posse.:rofl:
Only if he TPs Willis' home and leaves behind evidence pointing to a local Phoenix-area celebrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes