PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chris Henry WR - charges dropped

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgssand

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Chris Henry's latest charges have been dropped, freeing him up to return to the NFL.

"Prosecutors dropped an assault charge against former Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry on Monday, clearing the way for him to apply for reinstatement by the National Football League. "

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-8-174/Did-Bengals-react-too-soon-with-Henry-.html

When I read the article above, it got me to thinking, just a little bit about NE.

How bad is bad?? While certainly no angel, he is not exactly a hardened criminal. Henry's legal problems include arrests for possession of marijuana in northern Kentucky, carrying a concealed weapon in Florida, drunken driving in Ohio and providing alcohol to minors in northern Kentucky.

How good is good?? - If this guy ever matures, he can be very, very good. They guy can flat out play. There has never been any doubt about his WR skills.

Where does he go?? - rumors are that Dallas said no a few months back and he has interest there as well as New Orleans. I have not heard of any interest here from anywhere, not a mention at all. That said though, does New England dare to let him drink the best Kool Aid ever?? Just a thought and maybe a possibility?? I would hate to see an already much improved Dallas team score again.

Anyone thinking that if he were to be BB certified this could work here??

Given that they couldn't find a pass attempt for Kelley Washington last year, why/how do you expect them to fit Henry in? [For that matter, I'm still trying to understand why they're trying to convert Ventrone to a WR, too. . . .]

I can't see a point in bringing Chris Henry to NE. We don't need receivers, and he has been nothing but problems. I could see if it was late November and we were suffering from lots of injuries... but it's July and right now there's no reason to even think about that.

Given that they couldn't find a pass attempt for Kelley Washington last year, why/how do you expect them to fit Henry in? [For that matter, I'm still trying to understand why they're trying to convert Ventrone to a WR, too. . . .]

Stallworth gone.....

Flanker position after Moss is either the young and unproven Chad Jackson ( his position to lose, but he has to win it first ) or Gaffney (ideally a terrific #4 great back up for slot or WR positons).

Washington is really a special teams ace.

One or two hamstring pulls and our WR corp will be in trouble.

My only concern would be alot of Henry's sucsess could have come from Housh and Ocho being the 1 and 2 WR's, kind of like Welker benifitting from Stallworth and Moss.

I would not be opposed to signing him. I like Gaffney alot, but I think Henry has more potential. A Gaffney/Henry/Jackson free for all for WR2 would be an interesting camp battle.

Last edited:
Henry is bad news and not in the way that Moss and Dillon were. Henry doesn't even have the upside on the field that Moss and Dillon had. I do not want to see the Patriots get near this guy. It is only a matter of time before he is suspended for a long time. He is still actually suspended from these charges and there are no guarantee that Goodell will lift the suspension especially since the charges were dropped because the prosecution losts a couple of motions, not that Henry was exonerated.

Henry is bad news and not in the way that Moss and Dillon were. Henry doesn't even have the upside on the field that Moss and Dillon had. I do not want to see the Patriots get near this guy. It is only a matter of time before he is suspended for a long time. He is still actually suspended from these charges and there are no guarantee that Goodell will lift the suspension especially since the charges were dropped because the prosecution losts a couple of motions, not that Henry was exonerated.

My entire statement was qualified by saying IF, somehow he gains BB clearance AND drinks the Kool Aid, THEN, what do you all think.

Let me ask you though, Bad News how?

( How bad is bad?? While certainly no angel, he is not exactly a hardened criminal. Henry's legal problems include arrests for possession of marijuana in northern Kentucky, carrying a concealed weapon in Florida, drunken driving in Ohio and providing alcohol to minors in northern Kentucky.)

No upside?? Why not? - seems to define upside potential, he may never realize that potential, but, what if he does??

" 2007 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 70 | Key
Alert: C

Comment: Henry is a tall, lanky receiver who uses his great height very well, particularly deep downfield and near the goal line. Henry is extremely talented, but also has the luxury of playing alongside two exceptional wideouts who divert much of the coverage attention away from him. He is not especially sudden, but has a long deceiving stride and eats up real estate quickly with the ability to surprise a defense with his long speed. He can eat up a cushion rapidly. Henry has very good body control, above-average hands and shows the ability to consistently leave his feet and snatch the ball at its highest point, even when running full speed. His routes are not his strong suit and he only runs a handful of routes well. He is very effective running nine routes, deep posts and slants in tight quarters, but other than that he is too inconsistent and does not present good timing for his quarterback on comebacks or out routes. He is more or less a one trick pony, but that trick -- the ability to get deep and score touchdowns -- has kept him in the league despite a multitude of off-the-field indiscretions. Henry has a long laundry list of incidents off the field and been suspended, which makes him a candidate to be suspended for an entire season should he slip up again. Henry is not a player to be counted on, but he has a very impressive blend of natural abilities and is certainly a downfield playmaker."

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/players/scouting?statsId=7259

My only concern would be alot of Henry's sucsess could have come from Housh and Ocho being the 1 and 2 WR's, kind of like Welker benifitting from Stallworth and Moss.

I would not be opposed to signing him. I like Gaffney alot, but I think Henry has more potential. A Gaffney/Henry/Jackson free for all for WR2 would be an interesting camp battle.

Sorry had to call you out on the Welker benifiting from Moss and STALLWORTH:eek:....No question Welker benifited from Moss but Stallworth was fazed out by the end of the year and to say Welker was getting open because of the space Stallworth created would not be fair to Welker. If anything it is the opposite Stallworth was able to contribute because teams were double teaming Moss all over the field and they were more concerend with Welkers underneath game than Stallworths deep threat.

As for Henry coming here, The only way I would give this any thought would be if Chad Jack were to get hurt or just plain old doesn't look like he is ever going to get it. Even than after thinking about I might pass. But to do it before we give Chad Jack another shot wouldn't be fair to a kid who we thought high enough to trade up in the front of the 2nd to get and who has worked hard for a few years despite some bad luck (injuries).

My entire statement was qualified by saying IF, somehow he gains BB clearance AND drinks the Kool Aid, THEN, what do you all think.

Well if you told me BB/Pioli were OK with it than sure I would be on board.

If you told me the numbers to tonights lottery numbers than I could win.

But I think until they do it is safe to assume this wont happen. I bet they look into it to see whether he has rehabed his personality but I just don't see him passing the test.

*Just My Opinion*

I think he's worth a chance. Look at his "crimes"...it's not like he's Rae Carruth, or even Pacman Jones. Possession, carrying a concealed weapon, fighting...these are not that big of deals, in the grand scheme of things. The biggest thing, to me, is the DUI. And he doesn't deserve to not get a look because of a DUI. Plus, he's in his early 20's and it's not like he has had a role model to look up on that team he was with. Imagine Chris Henry getting mentored by Randy Moss and being kept in line by Bruschi and Rodney. He would be a beast.

Randy Moss got his chance, and didn't he hit a meter maid with his car?

As for Henry coming here, The only way I would give this any thought would be if Chad Jack were to get hurt or just plain old doesn't look like he is ever going to get it. Even than after thinking about I might pass. But to do it before we give Chad Jack another shot wouldn't be fair to a kid who we thought high enough to trade up in the front of the 2nd to get and who has worked hard for a few years despite some bad luck (injuries).

I am not giving up on Chad Jackson....I wrote it is his job to lose - but, he needs to win it first.

A T/C flanker battle between CJ/GAFF and Henry would not be the worst competition battle to wage?

Plus.....I am concerned about injury - if one of the group of four (Moss/Welker/Chad Jack & Gaff) go down, we are in trouble.

Sorry had to call you out on the Welker benifiting from Moss and STALLWORTH:eek:....No question Welker benifited from Moss but Stallworth was fazed out by the end of the year and to say Welker was getting open because of the space Stallworth created would not be fair to Welker. If anything it is the opposite Stallworth was able to contribute because teams were double teaming Moss all over the field and they were more concerend with Welkers underneath game than Stallworths deep threat.

You're right. I meant to take Stallworth out of there. Sorry about that.

Let me ask you though, Bad News how?

( How bad is bad?? While certainly no angel, he is not exactly a hardened criminal. Henry's legal problems include arrests for possession of marijuana in northern Kentucky, carrying a concealed weapon in Florida, drunken driving in Ohio and providing alcohol to minors in northern Kentucky.)

No upside?? Why not? - seems to define upside potential, he may never realize that potential, but, what if he does??

" 2007 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 70 | Key
Alert: C

Comment: Henry is a tall, lanky receiver who uses his great height very well, particularly deep downfield and near the goal line. Henry is extremely talented, but also has the luxury of playing alongside two exceptional wideouts who divert much of the coverage attention away from him. He is not especially sudden, but has a long deceiving stride and eats up real estate quickly with the ability to surprise a defense with his long speed. He can eat up a cushion rapidly. Henry has very good body control, above-average hands and shows the ability to consistently leave his feet and snatch the ball at its highest point, even when running full speed. His routes are not his strong suit and he only runs a handful of routes well. He is very effective running nine routes, deep posts and slants in tight quarters, but other than that he is too inconsistent and does not present good timing for his quarterback on comebacks or out routes. He is more or less a one trick pony, but that trick -- the ability to get deep and score touchdowns -- has kept him in the league despite a multitude of off-the-field indiscretions. Henry has a long laundry list of incidents off the field and been suspended, which makes him a candidate to be suspended for an entire season should he slip up again. Henry is not a player to be counted on, but he has a very impressive blend of natural abilities and is certainly a downfield playmaker."

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/players/scouting?statsId=7259

First, Henry is bad news. He may not be a harden criminal, but the guy has multiple incidences of off the field problems that neither Moss nor Dillon had. Even after being suspended for half the season last year, he wasn't smart enough to stay out of trouble. That doesn't seem like a type of guy who will ever drink the Kool-Aid and very different than the reclaimation projects that the Pats have taken on in the past.

Second, I never said Henry had no upside. I just said the upside is not as huge as Moss or Dillon were. Dillon and Moss were/are elite players at their position when they are in the right situation. Henry hasn't even proven he can be a fulltime starter. Henry does have a decent amount of upside if he can stay out of trouble and on the field, but no one can argue based on what we have seen it will be nearly as much as Moss and Dillon provided when the Pats acquired them.

I am not giving up on Chad Jackson....I wrote it is his job to lose - but, he needs to win it first.

A T/C flanker battle between CJ/GAFF and Henry would not be the worst competition battle to wage?

Plus.....I am concerned about injury - if one of the group of four (Moss/Welker/Chad Jack & Gaff) go down, we are in trouble.

If one of the group of four go down than you go calling on TROY.

Career high 36 catches. He has more arrests than that, doesn't he?

Last edited:
The guy is flat broke right now according to his attorney and he is a cop magnet (for good reason). Plus, our WR corps is set IMO. We don't need him. Let him join the rest of the criminals in Dallas.

I like thugs in the rap music I listen too.
Not on the football field I love the Way the Patriots drafted this year and brought in high calibur team first football players.
Very bright guys no spotty histories.
I hope this is the trend cause I loved being the under dog big hearted superbowl champions.
Not the we have the most talent when it comes together team.
Now bring in Rey Malunga next year after a trade up to 10,15 range and this team is set for years to come.

Why not Geno? Troy is now well past his shelf date.

We released him and he was a DB.........just kidding, did you mean GINO Cappeletti??

I am so freaking old that I am one of the few that saw the guy catch TD passes and kick field goals.

I was too young, however, to drink in the bar he owned on Dartmouth Street in Boston known as "The Point After" - anybody else remember that??

As for Troy - having the guy on the shadow roster is great security for me - you can count on the guy to be where he is supposed to be and do nothing but make plays, even at 37.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye