Welcome to PatsFans.com

Chris Gocong

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by BritPat, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BritPat

BritPat In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +238 / 4 / -3

#54 Jersey

He's been a bit of a wet dream for Box especially (and myself) since it transpired the Eagles weren't going to sign him to a new deal before he hit RFA - just seen Adam Caplann talking about him on Twitter:

I've seen little talk - where's it coming from, and what are others thoughts?

IMO he was born to play SILB in the 3-4. I think he'll end up with a second rounder tender though.....

2. Sean Pa Patriot

Sean Pa Patriot Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I think we need 2 more pages on this guy ,before he is the 2010 version of Adam Seward....:D

3. satz

satz 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

With guyton,mayo and last yr 3rd pick who the pats were very high last year i do not see either a RFA or a High draft pick on this.

In Nickel the guy will be out for Guyton/3rd safety anyway so i do not see a whole alot from here.

4. fair catch fryar

fair catch fryar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

I've always salivated at the idea of Gocong playing for the Pats, but I just don't see them giving up anything higher than a 3rd for him in compensation.

5. patsfan-1982

patsfan-1982 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +51 / 8 / -2

i don't know what to think of Chris Gocong, this system can either make you or brake you at OLB. it could turn JAG's like vrabel. and TBC in to stars. or turn stars like colvin and AD into JAG's

if they can get Gocong, for a 3rd or 4th round pick and he's contract. would not brake the bank. why not but if it's a 2th round pick i say no this draft is to deep at LB to give up a #2

6. robertweathers

robertweathers Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +49 / 1 / -0

Need to account for his injury and recovery time and factor that into Colvin's play IMO. Laster part of 04, all of 05 and good chunk of the 06 season he was good to very good at OLB for this team.

ADs issues have been well-chronicled.

7. BritPat

Ratings:
    +238 / 4 / -3

#54 Jersey

Colvin was excellent for us.

8. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +680 / 6 / -9

I would even consider giving up a 2nd for him. He presents less risk than a draft pick, is still young, and I was really high on him coming out of college.

Not saying that I necessarily would give a 2nd for him, but I would entertain the notion. I suppose it also depends on what they feel they have in McKenzie.

If they're looking to upgrade the ILB position, this would certainly be a less expensive way to do so than, say, signing Dansby.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  9. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,544 / 14 / -5

When did Colvin turn into a JAG? Must have missed that one. Even if you can make the argument that Colvin was a JAG, was it the system or the fact he broke his hip that made his skills decline?

Also, Thomas wasn't a JAG in 2007 or 2008. He just wasn't the player the Pats hoped he would be.

10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +380 / 11 / -28

McKenzie is the kicker, no one really knows what we have with this guy.. and if they feel as though he can contribute, may look to meet other needs.

11. BritPat

Ratings:
    +238 / 4 / -3

#54 Jersey

Slight OT, regarding McKenzie.....

I've had computer problems recently and lost all of the notes and videos I had stored, but from what I remember about McKenzie, he had superb hands, was powerful, and was terrific against the run - that's the basics of a 3-4 SILB/4-3 SLB.

12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +380 / 11 / -28

Also was a high character guy, remember something about taking care of his mother and interrupted his college education..

In some boards he was projected a 1st rounder, 6'2".. 243 Lbs.. he went to three different colleges, until graduating from USF... we will see.

13. WhoaDirty

WhoaDirty Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

I think the question is ... can Philly use ADT? :)

14. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +182 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

Not sure about first round but his stock was definitely affected by all the moving he did in college which as you said was done so he could take care of his mother.

He is definitely an intriguing prospect for us. Hopefully he learned enough while recovering to be able to have an impact this year and hopefully the injury isn't a problem moving forward.

I think because of his story alot of people are routing for him and we could certainly use the depth at LB.

One of the exciting things to me about him is he would seem to be a good compliment to Guyton as they seem to have a different skill set.

PS: for whatever reason he becomes nasty really quick in Madden.

15. BritPat

Ratings:
    +238 / 4 / -3

#54 Jersey

He also played all three LB spots in his College career.

I seem to remember a quote about him from Belichick just after he was drafted, I'll see if I can find it.

16. robertweathers

Ratings:
    +49 / 1 / -0

BB gushed over the kid. Gushed. Gave up football for a year b/c he mom couldn't work. Went to school days. Worked at a hotel nights. Practiced too.

A quality human being....

17. BritPat

Ratings:
    +238 / 4 / -3

#54 Jersey

Got it:

That is the epitome of a ringing endorsement.

18. BritPat

Ratings:
    +238 / 4 / -3

#54 Jersey

Found it and posted it above. I remember him saying it, and was taken aback. I was very high on McKenzie coming out, as I was Jason Williams, and was delighted when we drafted him.

19. robertweathers

Ratings:
    +49 / 1 / -0

On a football-note, many thought that he would have been a top 20 pick had he gone to a big school and didn't take time off.

Anyway, if his game is anything close to the quality of a human being he is, we'll be set at ILB for years to come.

20. DW Toys

DW Toys In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +14 / 1 / -2

I mentioned this in a 2/15 post. He is on the block I have read. He could start OLB and solve a problem. "He recorded 212 tackles as he set an NCAA career-record with 42 sacks for minus 284 yards. "

DW Toys;

Umenyiora wants out of NYG to start. The G-Man are desperate for DT help and Saftey help. We have to give up quality to get quality. I trade Myron Pryor and James Sanders for Osi in a minute.

The Eagles run a 4-3. Gocong is a very fast young player at 262 lbs and could be the next Vrabel here as he is more suited to the 3-4. The Eagles could take a flyer on AD to get a better suited LB for their team concept. The Eagles would like to move Gocong. Perhaps with a Wheatley (Hobbs is a FA) or a pick. At the end of the day, the Eagles want to move him.

If we can't get Spikes I would take a one or two year shot with Antonio Pierce if he checks out. Great leadership!

From Philadelphiaeagles.com news.

LB CHRIS GOCONG

Moving Chris Gocong to SAM linebacker seemed like such a great idea four years ago, but the experiment clearly hasn't gone as the Eagles hoped. Gocong lost his starting job in 2009 and did not emerge until he played a really strong game in the playoffs against Dallas. Now what?

Well, Gocong is a very good football player. He is terrific on special teams. He plays good downhill football from the line of scrimmage. But he is a linebacker?

In a perfect world, Gocong would love to stay here and be a starting linebacker. But, well, this is the NFL, and there isn't a player more in flux than Gocong. If he were an unrestricted free agent, Gocong could consider options from teams that play a 3-4 scheme and become a full-time edge rusher. But as a restricted free agent, Gocong's next step is uncertain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.