Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which defense do you prefer if you HAVE to have one?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ALP

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
its a poll

if you can go into the playoffs with either the Patriots defense from 09, last year, or this year, which one would you want?

i want this years

in 09 the defense was not really very good, we did not beat some very good teams, and that defense got some real lucky breaks

in 10 the defense was much better, but it was more turnover prone than good, which i loved, b/c turnovers correlate to game wins...it was an opportunistic defense, but it could NOT produce turnovers, it capitalized on situations presented by teams....so when a team did NOT turn the ball over, we lost

this years defense is different, its streaky, inconsistent, and sometimes has some really bad stretches/drives.....but this defense also have points in the game where they clamp down, play awesome coverage, either zone OR man, and rush and destroy the pocket...and cause a good amount of turnovers...all this with incredible injuries, and playing multiple wr's as db's....brand new safeties, a regressing #1 CB, hurt LB's, revolving door at DL, hell we dont even know what formation we want more until we see the results...3-4 or 4-3

im not saying any of these defenses are the 85 bears,but if i have to be stuck with one, give me this years

Last edited:
in 09 they were ranked 11th over all and 5th in points but they were maybe the worst pass rushing team in the BB era and they could not make the big stops when they need it to the same last year, this years defense as much as they let any team go up and down the field they do make the plays when they need to,

i would like this years defense a whole lot more if they had Spikes Chung Dowling and carter all at 100% in the playoffs but it is what it is and i am really likeing this team as a whole

2009.... The secondary played like HOFers compared to the one the pats have now.....the front 7 was about the same.

I went with 2009 by default, none of these defenses are anything to brag about. But I don't remember being as frusterated or nervous about the defense being on the field back then as I have been recently.

Wow, we want the 2009 Adalius Thomas defense that just quit. Sorry, I'll take a better front seven and a crappy secondary that at least gives effort and doesn't whine and ***** all the time.

I really like our front seven, even without Carter. Deaderick, Brace, Anderson and Ellis give us lots of options and we don't need to play Vince At DE half the time because he's our only dominant lineman. G Warren is a great backup too.

Add in Fletcher and spikes to our much improved Nincovich with a healthy Mayo and we could have the best LB rotation in years too.

As bad as the secondary may appear, it's only one unit and DB is an outstanding secondary coach. He has coached up a nowhere secondary before and won a SB with it, don't forget.

I can't believe I am saying this but I'm picking the 2011 defense. I'll list out my reasons.

1. I still think Arrington and McCourty are good corners
  2. I like the size on the D-line.
  3. I like Nink, Mayo and Fletcher
  4. I think the pass rush is better
  5. With Chung and Spikes, this D is better than last year's defense
  6. I think the passing rules this year are tougher then 09
  7. 09 did not have any guts and was still shredded by good offenses and laid down vs BAL in the playoffs
  8. 10 proved to be awful (see Sanchez in the AFC Div game)

I like this year's D because Meriweather's not on it.

Strange question but I like it.

Can I take the 2011 defense with the 2009 Merriweather?:D

I think in the end I take the 2011 defense because they all had there flaws and sure statistically the 09 was better but I cant look past the collapse vs Balt.

The '11 D has shown some true grit and I will take my chances with these guys.

Strange question but I like it.

Can I take the 2011 defense with the 2009 Merriweather?:D

I think in the end I take the 2011 defense because they all had there flaws and sure statistically the 09 was better but I cant look past the collapse vs Balt.

The '11 D has shown some true grit and I will take my chances with these guys.

The same Merriweather that takes bad angles on ballcarriers (see 2009 div vs BAL) and the same that was cut in the pre-season?

No thanks.

I see you on this a raise you a "I like the 2009 D because Sergio Brown's not on it"

Agreed, but Sergio Brown most likely will not play on defense in the playoffs IF Chung returns. Nate Jones is the third safety. I'm taking 2011 if that scenario plays out.

2009 > 2010 > 2011

I give a slight nod to the 09 defense. With this offense I think the 09 defense's ability to actually stop good/decent offense would give the Pats the best chance to win vs most of this year's playoff teams. I however would prefer the 11 defense vs GB and NO because it seems steadier than the 09 defense.

I'm going with the 2010 defense.

Because this year's defense is SOOOOOOOO Horrid, we seem to think that last year's team was just as bad. While they were flawed, they certainly weren't terrible.

McCourty and Arrington played great at CB last year. Merriweather was decent. Chung showed flashes of being an intimidating Rodney Harrison type safety.

Do you recall having this much discussion about the defense going into last year's playoffs? No, we just talked about what a great team the Pats were and who we wanted to play in the Super Bowl. I have absolutely NO FAITH in this year's defense. My FAITH in the Patriots stems only from the offenses capability of outscoring anyteam they face.

The 2010 defense was way more opportunistic than this years.

More INTs and fumbles forced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey