PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chip Kelly holding out for New England Job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yopats

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Last edited:
One Oregon writer thinks so..
Canzano: Chip Kelly's NFL dance becomes clear as he returns to Oregon | OregonLive.com

"But I think the job Kelly absolutely wants is the one currently held by 60-year-old three-time Super Bowl champion head coach Bill Belichick, who is as close to Kelly in his monomaniacal drive and ultimate hands-on style as there is in sports."

Interesting stuff..

It is just speculation I guess. The writer is just guessing. He doesn't have any sources.

Dumb. College coaches have a window to go pro, it doesn 't last 5 years ot more unless they are the greats like Saban. If Kelly wants to be an NFL coach then he needs to jump in the next couple of years, or bet that his window will wtill be open 6-8 years from now, and that's taking a big chance.

Dumb. College coaches have a window to go pro, it doesn 't last 5 years ot more unless they are the greats like Saban. If Kelly wants to be an NFL coach then he needs to jump in the next couple of years, or bet that his window will wtill be open 6-8 years from now, and that's taking a big chance.

A VERY big chance. That's also assuming that the Krafts would be interested in him.......

It is just speculation I guess. The writer is just guessing. He doesn't have any sources.

Of course it is.

In 5 years from now, when BB is 65 and Kelly is 54, after BB's won 3 more SBs and Kelly a few national championships and they've both solidified their legacies, then maybe we can consider it.

A VERY big chance. That's also assuming that the Krafts would be interested in him.......
Well IMO ole chip is going to have to wait a while, i don't see BB leaving any time soon.

Kelly would have a lot of work to do in order to change this team over to his team. Sadly, it would start by trading Brady.

The Cleveland newspaper ran an article based on the story coming out of Oregon; a couple of the comments from readers were somewhat amusing.

Chip Kelly is probably waiting on his dream NFL job - with the New England Patriots | The Plain Dealer | cleveland.com

First, some sour grapes from someone I assume to be an Ohio State fan who is in denial about the Buckeyes probation:
Small college town reporter, still flush with the elation Chip will stay another year, momentarily forgetting the NCAA hammer that is about to swing down on them.​
Then this gem who makes Gloom and Doom forum posters sound like Pollyannas:
It's being reported today that Chip Kelly was the Browns first choice because he is a bachelor and they can't get more qualified candidates who have families interested in coming to Cleveland, Ohio; based on the undesirability as a city and state. High crime, meth amphetamine and alcohol addictions at epidemic proportions, low property values and high taxes, failing schools and off the chart illiteracy rates, measurable religious intolerance and misogynist attitudes, chronic unemployment, corrupt political environment to shame DC, shallow-substandard cultural institutions, etc.​
And his response to others that said it wasn't that bad in Cleveland:
Yeah, people are flocking to move to Ohio. Property values don't lie. Cleveland and the state are a stagnant population for 40 years. If it weren't for Rockefeller the US probably would have sold it to the Canadians in the 19th century. Stuebenville is how the rest of the nation sees Ohio. And Cleveland? There's blue collar and then there's dog collar. The dawg pound is a laughing stock. You have to get outside to see how it is perceived by those who are not in it.​

Kelly would have a lot of work to do in order to change this team over to his team. Sadly, it would start by trading Brady.

Fortunately, a team's owner has to sign off on trades.

Other than Brady, not that much. The Pats already play an uptempo offense. They have the best move TE in the NFL. Their OL is very adept at pulling and moving in space. Guys like Vereen, Edelman, Woodhead and Demps are perfectly suited to a movement offense, and Gronk could be a tremendous weapon (Oregon already features a TE who is somewhat in-between Gronk and Hernandez in Colt Lyerla).

As I say, give it 5 years, post-Brady. If BB wants to hang it up then, well, maybe it's something to think about.

Why would he want to trade away the best pure pocket passer who has had shown the capacity to incorporate the more effective aspects of his offense (extremely up tempo) into what historically works at the pro level more consistently?

I don't doubt Kelley is holding out for an opportunity to work with the right organization and this one might be his ideal. The money isn't that different once you become a hot ticket item at the college level to roll the dice on being able to crack that level here and sustain it. He's smart to take his time. And while Chip may never see the stars align a guy like Saban who thought he had seems to have decided he's inclined not to even risk it again.

Fortunately, a team's owner has to sign off on trades.

I'm just saying that Brady is a bad fit in a Chip Kelly offense. He prefers quarterbacks who are extremely mobile and make decisions on the fly. Brady can do one of those.

Either way, anybody that thinks Chip Kelly is holding out for New England doesn't understand how his offense works.

Why would he want to trade away the best pure pocket passer who has had shown the capacity to incorporate the more effective aspects of his offense (extremely up tempo) into what historically works at the pro level more consistently?

I don't doubt Kelley is holding out for an opportunity to work with the right organization and this one might be his ideal. The money isn't that different once you become a hot ticket item at the college level to roll the dice on being able to crack that level here and sustain it. He's smart to take his time. And while Chip may never see the stars align a guy like Saban who thought he had seems to have decided he's inclined not to even risk it again.

See my last response.

Other than Brady, not that much. The Pats already play an uptempo offense. They have the best move TE in the NFL. Their OL is very adept at pulling and moving in space. Guys like Vereen, Edelman, Woodhead and Demps are perfectly suited to a movement offense, and Gronk could be a tremendous weapon (Oregon already features a TE who is somewhat in-between Gronk and Hernandez in Colt Lyerla).

As I say, give it 5 years, post-Brady. If BB wants to hang it up then, well, maybe it's something to think about.

There'd also be a complete re-vamp of the defense, at least on the front 7. Less size and wayyyy more speed.

Basically, if Kelly is our new coach sometime, as followers of the draft, we'd be singling out the best pure athletes available and focusing much less on the trenches.

To put a twist on an idiom: Tom Brady and Bill Belichick aren't walking out that door any time soon.

It wouldn't surprise me if there is an unwritten agreement between Kraft and Kelly that Kelly will be the guy once BB hangs up his hoodie. In fact, I could see BB being the driver behind this and staying as part of the organisation for a short term to help with transitioning Kelly into an NFL HC.

It wouldn't surprise me if there is an unwritten agreement between Kraft and Kelly that Kelly will be the guy once BB hangs up his hoodie. In fact, I could see BB being the driver behind this and staying as part of the organisation for a short term to help with transitioning Kelly into an NFL HC.

In all honesty, that seems a bit far-fetched. In any case, unwritten agreements aren't worth the paper they aren't written on.

That would surprise me. BB has nowhere to go and nothing to do past football. He could stay for another 10 years easily.

I did not know Chip Kelly from Brian Kelly about 8 months ago…now they both have become the Lombardi and Rockne of our times. :rolleyes:

I never even considered he would be future HC of the NEP until that wonderful piece of literature came over the wire. I need to add the Plain Dealer to my google page and get rid of either the WSJ or NY Times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes