Welcome to PatsFans.com

Chinese spies may have put chips in US planes

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Lest we think all is cheery as the spring sunbursts:

[size=+4]Chinese spies may have put chips in US planes[/size]

17 Apr 2009, 0041 hrs IST, PTI

WASHINGTON: The Chinese cyber spies have penetrated so deep into the US system — ranging from its secure defence network, banking system, electricity grid to putting spy chips into its defence planes — that it can cause serious damage to the US any time, a top US official on counter-intelligence has said.

“Chinese penetrations of unclassified DoD networks have also been widely reported. Those are more sophisticated, though hardly state of the art,” said National Counterintelligence Executive, Joel Brenner, at the Austin University Texas last week, according to a transcript made available on Wednesday.

Listing out some of the examples of Chinese cyber spy penetration, he said: “We’re also seeing counterfeit routers and chips, and some of those chips have made their way into US military fighter aircraft.. You don’t sneak counterfeit chips into another nation’s aircraft to steal data. When it’s done intentionally, it’s done to degrade systems, or to have the ability to do so at a time of one’s choosing.”

Referring to the Chinese networks penetrating the cyber grids, he said: “Do I worry about those grids, and about air traffic control systems, water supply systems, and so on? You bet I do. America’s networks are being mapped. There has also been experience of both Chinese and criminal network operations in the networks of some of the banks”.

Chinese spies may have put chips in US planes - US - World - The Times of India

//

2. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

sounds like one from the twilight zone

3. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The Cylons already tried this 150,004 years ago. It met with limited success.

4. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Granted, the Indians and the Chinese do have their own version of the Yankees-Sox thing going on, but .... no ..... there's some veracity to this; at minimum a chance this might be true. Put it this way: if the Chinese could do it and get away with it, they probably would.

//

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +702 / 20 / -30

Lets put it this way, if any nation could get away with it, they probably would...

6. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

even if they could get away with it, I seriously doubt the capability of such a 'chip' without physically connecting it to the rest of the airplanes system........

a single self-powered chip would lack the power in order to make it happen via RF, and I sincerely doubt that anyone is climbing into the workings of the airplane and physically wiring such a device without the system firmware picking up on it..........it is not like hacking into an ATM

but lets say for a moment that there is some validity to this notion.......what can it achieve? taking the plane down is the limit.......and which planes? did the chinese sneak onto the aircraft carriers and put them on those planes, too? how about chinese divers sneaking into US subs and doing the same?

the whole thing is pretty ridiculous

7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +475 / 18 / -17

My God, what did Bush do during his 8 years? Another headache for Obama to deal with.

8. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

What kind? I was getting sick of the pretzels, and some airlines don't give you anything anymore. Some chips would be nice to tide one over until the end of the plane ride.

9. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +323 / 6 / -4

#91 Jersey

I'm not worried about the possibly of Chinese chips in planes. I'm worried about Chinese dry wall, toy's with lead in them, dog food that kills pets, baby formula thats has melamine in it. And the dozen or so of other things the chinese send here thats defective or dangerous.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  10. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

But regulation hurts business!

11. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +323 / 6 / -4

#91 Jersey

Thats what i keep hearing.

12. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Yankees-Sox? Did the Sox have a GM that sold top secret info to the Yankees? I mean we had Bill Clinton.

13. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Hmmm, you've got a point there.... how 'bout Harry Frazee??

:(

//

14. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +967 / 2 / -9

Chinese Spies Are Everywhere

Spain Tortures Bulls

Spain Sucks

Obama And Chavez Watch Cartoons Together

15. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +323 / 6 / -4

#91 Jersey

Your bored aren't you Harry.

16. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +853 / 12 / -7

Meanwhile, in the category of people who ARE putting chips into vehicles...

Creditors are now demanding that a chip be put into a car before it is sold, allowing them to remotely cause it not to start until the bill is paid.

They claim this allows them to lend money to otherwise poor credit risks. It also doubles as an anti-theft chip, already active in many models, that slows a car to a stop in the event it is reported stolen. But they promise they new deadbeat chip won't do that to you. Your car just won't start.

For several days the chip will announce what a deadbeat you are unless you pay your bill. Then the car is disabled.

Come to think of it, didn't we pretty much buy the hardware we're talking about on Chinese credit?

Huh.

PFnV

17. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Modern day version of "the hand-writing is on the wall", and everybody sees it.

//

18. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

What's that? That we don't make anything in this country any more, and outsource all technological advances to far eastern countries, a practice most capitalist gluttons like yourself widely approve of?

YOu have a mantra you like to espouse often... Reaping and sowing or some such? Yeah...

19. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I dream of the day you wake up on the right side of the bed for a change. :rolleyes:

My comment is directed toward PFinVA, talking about car sellers putting chips in cars to shut off engines of deadbeats. Point is, people are getting much more sensitive about giving credit. Huh, wonder why.

Peace, out.

//

20. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I wouldn't worry too much about that chip PFinVA. Just find a 12 yr old who's 1/2 proficient with computers and ask him nicely to get you a crack. Just remember the lad isn't an elite hacker, he's a leet haxxor.

Bill Gates couldn't protect his XBox 360 from hackers. Sony couldn't protect the PS II. You think those morons at GM or Ford know anything more about the chips they put in their vehicles than they do about lug nuts?