Welcome to PatsFans.com

China's blowing up Satellites

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 5 / -2

Are any of you concerned by this? The first thing I thought about was the debris, and what would happen if it damaged different satellites in orbit. I'd assume China would be responsible, but then again, one would have to prove that it was the space junk from the missle blast that did the damage. How could someone do that? Hire NASA to go investigate? I'm really surprised a country like China would do this. Unless the risks of space debris are non-existent, this seems like a really irresponsible thing to do.

[​IMG]

Chinese missile destroys satellite in space

By Richard Spencer in Beijing
    Last Updated: 4:26pm GMT 19/01/2007

Britain has joined the US, Japan and Australia's condemnation of China after the communist country destroyed a satellite in space using a ballistic missile.

The British embassy in Beijing said it had raised the test, the first of its kind for 20 years, with the Chinese foreign ministry noting that the Government believed it was “inconsistent” with China’s opposition to the development of space weapons.

A spokesman refused to elaborate on the form the protest took or on the Chinese government’s response.

Later, a Downing Street spokesman said: "We are concerned about the impact of debris in space and we expressed that concern.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...FOAVCBQYIV0?xml=/news/2007/01/19/wchina19.xml
  2. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Wow, that IS horrible. Space debris are a serious problem. NASA was even concerned about the Russian hitting a golf ball off the ISS recently. More to the point, China is building anti-satelite weapons, which is going to cause another arms race. Maybe Reagan had the right idea about Star Wars.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +496 / 2 / -9

Bush's Fault.
  4. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

This is the most misleading crap ever. If you read the New York Times article, the US has been developing Space Weapons under Bush. China is merely responding to the arms race that Bush started.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  5. Real World

Ratings:
    +402 / 5 / -2

Space weapons sure. I'm talking about blowing up a satellite and the dangers of debris. We all remember Reagan's Star Wars in the 80's. There is nothing misleading about the actual destruction of an orbitting satellite that just took place. It happened.
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I saw this today in the paper.
    I was really disturbed because I always viewed the Chinese as a people who kept to themselves and left other countries alone. I hope that's still the case and that this is a defensive measure for the future and how they perceive future conflicts to play out. I'm both perplexed and worried about this development. It also gives a rationale for other governments to go "one further". Stay tuned for the fear-mongering by the MIC.
  7. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

China, in my opinion, IS a defensive minded country. They are probably alarmed by Bush restarting up Star Wars as well as by the US's new developments in space weapons. This looks like a defensive move, as well as a veiled warning to the United States.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  8. Real World

Ratings:
    +402 / 5 / -2

Whatever the reason they decided to do it, it was irresponsible. What if that debris ends up destroying communications satellites, or endangering astronouts on the international space station? Like i always say, just cuz you can do something, does it mean you should?
  9. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

No question, a very irresponsible thing to do. I am still very surprised and disappointed in this action.
  10. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

No danger to the ISS, at least. Your diagram says the satellite is 530 miles above the earth, the ISS is about 190 miles above earth. There's not much atmosphere up there to drag things into a lower orbit.
  11. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

The Washington Post article says the US and Russia both did the exact same thing, blowing up satellites, in 1985. Is it just me, or does this whole thing reek of hypocrisy?

Russia and China have been asking the US for the past few years to sign a Space Weapons Ban Treaty, but the US has refused to do so. Maybe this move is designed to bring Bush to the bargaining table.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2007