Welcome to PatsFans.com

Chiefs release Jerome Woods

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Alk, May 18, 2006.

1. Alk

Alk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  2. drew4008

drew4008 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I don't want all these Chiefs defensive players... they've sucked, what makes you think they'll be so good for us?
  3. RxJock1120

RxJock1120 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I think the bigger implication of this story is that the Chiefs are making room in the secondary to add Ty Law. On ESPN this mourning they had a quote from a partner of the Poston brothers that said that Ty was most likely to sign with the Chiefs. So this is probably what this move is all about.
  4. Alk

Alk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

The Chief's defense sucked, that doesn't mean every single player on defense sucked too. This guy was very solid for something like 8 seasons before losing his job to another safety who is none too shabby himself.
  5. Remix 6

Remix 6 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

their DBs sucked because pressure was rarely applied. Woods is 33 or going 33..i rather not sign him
  6. Haterproof

Haterproof Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Law is so confused right now.He doesn't know where he's going to end up.Most likely it will be here or KC.
  7. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +113 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

I don't know how much a cap # Woods had. But, when I heard that I immediately thought that it was a move for Law.
  8. Brady-To-Branch

Brady-To-Branch Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 11 / -1

It doesn't help.

Then again, Woods was viewed as a disappointing 1st round pick. If BB thought he could help the team he'll make a run at Woods. Here's saying, he won't.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2005
  9. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +331 / 6 / -7

Woods solid for 8 seasons? I guess it depends on your definition of solid, but he's definately nowhere near that now.
  10. Alk

Alk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Disappointing? He had a very good run. I guess when you consider he is a safety then yeah, he is disappointing because you would have to be the next coming of Ronnie Lott to NOT be a disappointment as a first round safety. Short of a healthy Harrison and Wilson, I don't know any other safety on the team that is better than him. It would be an immediate upgrade to our safety depth.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2005
  11. Alk

Alk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

12. mcsully

mcsully Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 3 / -0

Here is some info that might change peoples minds about TY law going there.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2341755

Apparently there is only a savings of $25k.. If I use that as a measuring stick plus the drafting of a saftey in the second round (never mind his age of 33), I would tend to believe he was released because of his lack of skill..
  13. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

This guy is way on the wrong side of 30, has been injury prone (averaging 8 games a year for the last 4 years) and was never very good to begin with. He lost his starting job in KC and is now being cut even though it costs more to cut him than keep him. This was from a pre CBA article in a KC paper. The ESPN list claims cutting Woods will COST $25,000 more on the cap. This article says it will cost $600,000 MORE.

"Jerome Woods lost his starting safety job last season and, with a base salary of $1.6 million in 2006, would appear to be a prime candidate. But because he is only two seasons into what was originally a six-year contract, Woods’ cost against the cap is actually more if they released him (about $3.5 million, the unaccounted-for portion of his signing bonus, which all would count against this year’s cap) than if they keep him (about $2.9 million)."

KC was way over the cap before the new CBA but they obviously made some adjustments and cuts and with the cap bump at last glance they were around $9M under before signing their rookies. Not as fat as the Pats, but OK. This guy costs them $600K MORE to cut than to keep - so thanks but no thanks. I'll pass on any more JAG safeties and save my $$$ for a CB.

And cutting Woods obviously has nothing to do with making room for Ty Law financially or on the roster. They are apparently in good shape at safety and looking at Ty as a potential corner opposite Surtain. They wouldn't seem to have the money to do that though unless they got Ty for less than $3-4M on their cap this year. After they sign their rookies that's about all they will have left for any FA signings.
  14. Brady-To-Branch

Brady-To-Branch Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 11 / -1

Another Joyner gem from Scientific Football: 2005...

NOTE: this is from the 2004 season

15. Alk

Alk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

The last 4 years are deceiving. He had two seasons where he was injured. Prior to that, he has been very consistent. I'm not talking about bringing this guy in as a full time starter, just quality depth. I can't imagine anyone saying that he isn't better than the rookies that we have on the roster right now. Again, he is no Rodney Harrison but if Rodney isn't able to suit up on opening day, I would rather have this guy than anybody that we have on the roster right now.