PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chiefs Release CB Stanford Routt. Any Interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest thing to answer is, does Stanford Routt make this team better?

Is Mccourty a better corner than him, and if not, is the defense better off with Mccourty in at safety.

If the answer is no, then its a waste of time. If the answer is yes, then that speaks volumes about Mccourty.

As Talib was reportedly almost literally a last minute trade, if Routt was on the block, any trade would have happened before the Talib one. Which begs the question, if Talib was a last minute trade, did BB suddenly think, "You know what, we really need a corner" or had he kicked tyres on other options before Talib meaning Talib was not first choice. I don't know but interesting.

Edit: Or did he only read your blueprint thread on deadline day and got the idea then :)

Was Talib reportedly almost literally a last minute trade? I know it wasn't reported until late, but the Pats usually keep things under wraps pretty closely.

Mike Lombardi made an interesting point on NFL Network's Sunday morning show, noting that the Pats held joint practices with Tampa Bay this preseason, so that the Pats would have had a lot of opportunity to observe Talib in detail and assess him. I'm sure that the idea of trading for him had been kicked around. I'm not sure what it was that caused them to pull the trigger at the "last minute" - Ras-I Dowling going on IR, Devin McCourty performing well as a FS again, Alfonzo Dennard developing as a press-man CB, or all of the above.

If the Pats really wanted to go "all in", picking up Routt would be an interesting move. Again, I'd guess it has about a 1-2% chance of happening, but it would be interesting.

Is Mccourty a better corner than him, and if not, is the defense better off with Mccourty in at safety.

If the answer is no, then its a waste of time. If the answer is yes, then that speaks volumes about Mccourty.

The big question is, does Greg A. Bedard think the risk is too great? After all, that should be the decided factor.

Trading for Talib and not Routt has nothing to do with skill. Talib's contract is 10x more favorable than Routt's.

Beat me to it.

Routt thrived in Oakland's man scheme. But i can't see him coming here as i think other teams would be well ahead of us on the waiver wire who need DB help.

It would be interesting now though if we picked him up and dropped? cole?

We would go from a young inexperienced secondary to one with a mix of youth and vet NFL experience but still in the prime of their careers.

Very interesting and if a move were made i wouldn't be against it at all. There would be a chance this secondary could look like CB 1 Talib CB 2 Routt FS McCourty SS Chung or CB1 Talib CB 2 McCourty Slot Routt Safteys Chung and Wilson

Nobody is going to claim him. Or at least anybody that claims him is stupid, in my opinion. When he's a free agent, I'd take him for the minimum salary. I suspect that he was cut because he couldn't keep his effort up when the Chiefs kept losing. That's not the kind of player you want on a losing team. On a winning team, he probably deserves a chance, but I think he's the kind of guy who is ideally a #3 corner (pushing Talib to the slot, would be my guess), not a starter.

I'm not wrong. It was well known on the boards over there and, again, the Cowboys have admitted that they overpaid to make sure that he signed with them.

Speaking of those Cowboys, by the way, how's that team doing now that they've paid Carr that money? They're what, 8-0, right?

No, youre wrong.

Stick to being wrong about the Pats.

Talking outa your arsehole as usual.

Carr wanted to stay in KC.

You, sir, are a disgrace. Your profile picture is of Rex Ryan.

'Nuff said. :cool:

:D

Last edited:
More irony here that you can shake a stick at...

Youve been proven wrong on this subject and anything related to the Chiefs.

With that said, Your arguement Sucks.

Youve been proven wrong on this subject and anything related to the Chiefs.

With that said, Your arguement Sucks.

No, I haven't.

There seems to be a feeling that Carr wants to test the free agent market

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2012/03/05/franchise-tag-deadline-coming-for-bowe-carr-and-chiefs/

Cowboys owner/GM Jerry Jones sure thinks so, but with a qualifer.

"We know we overpaid to get Carr," Jones said at the NFL meetings. "Not overpay — we paid retail."

Jones has a point. In order to get a good cornerback these days, you have to overpay, and sometimes by a good amount. One thing is for sure though, the Cowboys needed an upgrade at cornerback with Terence Newman on his way out and Michael Jenkins continuing to seemingly take one step forward and two steps back.

Now it's just up to Carr to prove he was worthy of being overpaid.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-star/Jones-Cowboys-Overpaid-For-Carr-146270985.html

"There were teams that were interested, but I wanted to give the Cowboys my first visit because I felt like at the end of the day, I could see myself in a Cowboys uniform,” said Carr, who grew up a Cowboys fan, per ESPN Dallas. “Just by doing my research on the coaching staff and just watching a little film on my own, just different things that coaching, how they put their guys in situations to excel, I said, ‘man, this is something I want to be a part of.’ Once I got there they didn’t hold me hostage. They took care of me and treated me well.

“The respect level was high and at the end of the day, I was happy with the Dallas Cowboys and I didn’t want to go anywhere else.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-star/CB-Brandon-Carr-Didnt-Want-To-Go-Anywhere-Else-143369356.html

But you keep pretending otherwise if it makes you feel good.

3-5 Cowboys. Thank goodness they got Carr.... :rocker:

Last edited:
You, sir, are a disgrace. Your profile picture is of Rex Ryan.

'Nuff said. :cool:

:D

This clown wants to lecture me on whats going on with the Chiefs when I live in KC.

Have for the last 16 years. My neighbor has the password to the KCChiefs official website where he is allowed to post pictures. They dont give any jackleg access to their official site. My neighbor knows Brandon Carr and several Chiefs players. I dare say that he is well connected to whats going on with the team.

This clown wants to lecture me on whats going on with the Chiefs when I live in KC.

Have for the last 16 years. My neighbor has the password to the KCChiefs official website where he is allowed to post pictures. They dont give any jackleg access to their official site. My neighbor knows Brandon Carr and several Chiefs players. I dare say that he is well connected to whats going on with the team.

I wasn't saying anything about your point.

But that profile pic... it's so distracting. I keep thinking you're a Jets fan. :confused2:

This man has posted 31,000+ posts here. Do you REALLY think you know more than him?? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Routt has been paid this year's bonus and it doesn't seem like the rest is guaranteed so I'd claim on waivers if I wanted him - it's only going to cost the remainder of Routt's $2M salary. The problem is he's being referred to as "terrible" this year by local KC writers. Even some national writers have gone to lengths to point out how bad Routt's been.

Crennel obviously runs a D similar to the Pats and Routt just didn't find his way in the scheme, so it's hard to see why he'd excel here.

Of course, by saying that I probably make certain he's claimed by the Pats. It would be a $1M gamble essentially.

I wasn't saying anything about your point.

But that profile pic... it's so distracting. I keep thinking you're a Jets fan. :confused2:

This man has posted 31,000+ posts here. Do you REALLY think you know more than him?? :rolleyes:

that profile picture is a head scratcher alright !

that aside, when did 31000 posts = knows more than anyone :rolleyes:

Last edited:
that profile picture is a head scratcher alright !

that aside, when did 31000 posts = knows more than anyone :rolleyes:

Again.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'll wait for you to catch the sarcasm.

You're approaching this wrong. The question isn't whether Routt is a better corner than McCourty. You have to ask if he's a better corner than Arrington. If the answer is yes, then you bring him in because he provides better depth than what you already have and, thus, makes the team better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back