PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chiefs Release CB Stanford Routt. Any Interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
I don't know a lot about his capabilities but he's just been waived by the Chiefs. What really peaked my interest was this from his scouting card:

He is most effective up in a press alignment where he can use his length and long arms to disrupt the receiver on his release.

If we really are in "all in" mode is he worth looking at?

Holy crap. That's a huge surprise. If Pioli and Crennel did this I imagine they will communicate to BB why. I'm sure there's a huge buyer beware behind this.

They waived him to sign DT Shaun Smith to help shore up the depth at DE with Glenn Dorsey's nagging in jury. Waiving a starter who just signed a 3 year ~$20 million contract for a depth guy is a huge tell that this is a bit more than just performance related. And if I recall from Romeo's days in Cleveland, he's pretty tolerant with locker room imbeciles so Routt must have really screwed up.

He's certainly worth looking at. With a contract as fat as his he's definitely going to pass through the waiver wire.

Weird. They gave Routt a good deal this offseason (3 years about $20 million) and hyped him as the Brandon Carr replacement. N0w he is cut 8 games later.

SIGN THE BEAST!

Routt, Talib and Dennard playing Nickel? One of the worst secondaries to a very good one in the space of a bye week!

It is probably something very bad that he has done off the field to be cut this early. I think that BB should talk to Pioli and Crennel about him and see whats up and then take him in for a work out if it isn't too bad. But I gotta say, with that contract and cut this early, it seems like it is pretty bad. There gotta be some big red flag behind this. But still, worth taking a look at!

Last edited:
I'd take a look at him.

Talented player, but whatever he did must be really serious in order for him to be cut loose and for RAC to say what he did.

Heh its kind of bizarre the Chiefs signed him to such a big contract and he doesn't even make it an entire season? It seems awfully fishy to me.

It is probably something very bad that he has done off the field to be cut this early. I think that BB should talk to Pioli and Crennel about him and see whats up and then take him in for a work out if it isn't too bad. But I gotta say, with that contract and cut this early, it seems like it is pretty bad. There gotta be some big red flag behind this. But still, worth taking a look at!

Maybe he takes drugs, hits teammates and cab drivers, and shoots guns.

Last edited:
You can say what you want about RAC as a head coach, but he has the rep of being a player's coach - if he says that his "relationship" with Routt was not progressing, to me that = Routt was not coachable. Whereas it seems that Talib is a good football player but makes bad off-field decisions. Not the same situations at all.

Maybe he takes drugs, hits teammates and cab drivers, and shoots guns.

Exactly. If he's a locker room cancer than we shouldn't touch him with a barge pole but if it's something less then...

What interests me is that he came in to the NFL when Pioli was with the Patriots and I wonder whether signing Routt was a legacy of the Pats draft research at the time. FWIW, Routt had an excellent 3-cone of 6.63 and the fastest 40 time of 4.27.

Long Arms, 4.2 speed, excellent 3-cone and a press corner. if he was in this years draft, he'd be near the top of my mock for the Pats providing he could play.

You can say what you want about RAC as a head coach, but he has the rep of being a player's coach - if he says that his "relationship" with Routt was not progressing, to me that = Routt was not coachable. Whereas it seems that Talib is a good football player but makes bad off-field decisions. Not the same situations at all.

Maybe it's nothing more than that Pioli and Crennel are really bad at their jobs and the Chiefs are a disaster. Or maybe they're actually good at their jobs and they're masterminding a "suck for Geno" strategy.

Rout stinks.

Pioli was a fool to let Carr go and sign that Bum when KC is millions under the cap.

Rout stinks.

Pioli was a fool to let Carr go and sign that Bum when KC is millions under the cap.

Yeah, having two $50 million plus cornerbacks was definitely the way to go. C'mon....

Last edited:
Routt is pretty solid cb, maybe all those losses got to him. It's the chiefs anyway, they find a way to lose.

Yeah, having two $50 million plus cornerbacks was definitely the way to go. C'mon....

KC is rumored to be 26 million under the cap and Carr wanted 5 million more.

Next season they have to spend up the cap anyway so forwarding the 2012 cap savings will do them a lot of good this season when Pioli gets fired after the Chiefs go 4 - 12.

Stupid, Carr knew the defense and wanted to stay in KC and Pioli pizzed him off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes