PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chiefs Fan's Obituary Claims He Died Of 'Heartbreaking Disappointment'

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenepatsrule

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Kansas City Chiefs Fan's Obituary Claims He Died Of 'Heartbreaking Disappointment'

A Kansas City Chiefs fan may have paid the ultimate price for his team's losing ways.

According to the first sentence of an obituary in the Kansas City Star, Loren G. “Sam” Lickteig passed away last week at the age of 81 from "complications from MS and heartbreaking disappointment caused by the Kansas City Chiefs football team."

As Larry Brown Sports points out, this isn't the first time a team has been mentioned in a fan's obituary, but it is unique in being listed as a possible cause of death. Back in July, an obituary in the Daily Courier-Observer described a Connecticut woman as "a lifelong NY Mets fan though surprisingly, that wasn’t what killed her."

Kansas City fans have had reason to mourn lately, with their team sitting at 1-9 following Sunday's 28-6 loss to the Bengals. The Arrowhead faithful have not held back in expressing their frustration with the Chiefs, infamously cheering after quarterback Matt Cassel went down with an injury in October, only to be disappointed by the lackluster performance of his replacement, Brady Quinn

Omg...
wVo4N.gif

Chiefs fans are all saying "All we need is a QB to be contenders" when you have only won one game, your problems are a hell of a lot bigger than the QB. Cassel is serviceable to above average, look at what he did in 2008 and 2010 in this system, play him to his strengths and he would be fine. 2010 Weiss was running the offense the same way McDaniels ran it in 2008 and he was a pro bowler.

Since the family obviously are the ones who write the obituary, that is kind of a funny tongue-in-cheek story right there. I think that it was intended for some good natured laughs from a guy who was apparently a big KC Chiefs fan.

If there really was a way to die from "heartbreaking failure" of a sports team, I would have been gone this past February when I had to witness my worst nightmare come true again...to the same team, in the exact same last-drive, lucky catch fashion.

On a more somber note, RIP "Sam" Lickteig, who obviously was a very big football fan, and a man with a sense of humor :cool:

Heard that it was tongue and cheek elsewhere yesterday, comic relief in death is interesting.. perhaps underused.

Keep on "matriculating the ball down the field," Loren G. “Sam” Lickteig. Tough way to check out with your team sucking and all. I hope you can TiVo NFLN in the Great Beyond. Super Bowl IV will come on once in a while and you can spend eternity watching Joe Kapp get picked off by your beloved Chiefs.

Last edited:
If the "heartbreaking disappointment" that kills me comes from a football team at the age of 82 I'll take it. (Condolences to Mr Lickteig's family.)

Chiefs fans are all saying "All we need is a QB to be contenders" when you have only won one game, your problems are a hell of a lot bigger than the QB. Cassel is serviceable to above average, look at what he did in 2008 and 2010 in this system, play him to his strengths and he would be fine. 2010 Weiss was running the offense the same way McDaniels ran it in 2008 and he was a pro bowler.

Cassel stinks.

Stop the run and you stop the KC. Cassel holds the ball too long, stares down WRs and his arm is weaker than Bradys little son. This explains why he was a bench warmer at USC.

The Chiefs have problems alright starting with Pioli. Its safe to say that he wasnt the draft Guru in NE. Also, hiring Haley and Crennel as HCs and paying Cassel 60 Mil+, really makes you wonder about his judgment as a GM.

I'll bet you anything that Mr. Lickteig himself asked his family to mark his passing this way. His personality shines through loud and clear in that one line, doesn't it?

Rest in peace, stalwart fan.

According to ESPN radio the NFL is actively investigating the matter. Roger Goodell expected to announce a possible punishment as soon as friday.

Honestly though R.I.P. good sir.

According to ESPN radio the NFL is actively investigating the matter. Roger Goodell expected to announce a possible punishment as soon as friday.

Honestly though R.I.P. good sir.

If Ed Reid gets a one-game suspension for three helmet-to-helmet hits, what do you think Scott Pioli and Romeo should get for causing the demise of a fan?

Can Roger Goodell impose eternal penalties?

If Ed Reid gets a one-game suspension for three helmet-to-helmet hits, what do you think Scott Pioli and Romeo should get for causing the demise of a fan?

Can Roger Goodell impose eternal penalties?

Their penalty should be one more year of RAC and Casselerole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back