Welcome to PatsFans.com

Chickenhawk Pub Congressman smears military expert

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Jul 27, 2007.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

kinda reminds me of a few posters in this forum, actually...

Chickenhawk Congressman Smears Military Expert

Center for American Progress military expert Lawrence Korb testified before the House Armed Services Committee this morning, challenging escalation proponents to have the courage of their convictions and call for a draft if they would like the surge to continue indefinitely.

One right-wing Ohio Congressman, Michael Turner, desperately tried to smear Korb during his question and answer period. Turner started off his smear attacks against Korb by questioning his credentials to speak before the panel:

TURNER: I was looking at your bio…that incorrectly I believe referred to you as Doctor Korb. And you do not have a PhD.

KORB: I do.

TURNER: You do have a PhD?​

After humiliating himself once, Turner next turned his guns on Korb’s prepared written testimony. “I’ve not seen citations like this before the committee,” Turner said, noting that Korb referenced research sources in his statement. Korb said he provided the citations for the lawmakers as a reference point for more information. He noted that Gen. Jack Keane, a co-panelist, “did not have any footnotes. His were all opinions.”

After falling flat in his numerous stabs at Korb, Turner moved onto the next smear. Taking a comment made by Korb completely out of context, Turner asserted that you’ve told us “you’re not a military expert.” Korb responded:

I’ll put my record in terms of scholarship, in terms of analysis of war in terms of military issues up against anybody.

Watch it:

After propagating his false smears, Turner refused to allow Korb time to answer and attempted to flee the committee room quickly. Chairman Ike Skelton (D-MO) told Turner to sit down and listen to Korb’s response.

ThinkProgress contacted Turner’s office for comment on the incident. Andy Bloom, communications director for Turner, told us that Turner has never served in the military and has no substantive military experience. Asked if Turner was participating in a coordinated effort to smear Korb, Bloom said, “I can’t be certain.”

Turner is a classic “chickenhawk,” a term used to refer to strident war proponents who have never personally experienced war. Korb, on the other hand, is a Navy captain who served in Vietnam. He has served in the Pentagon, taught at the Naval War College and Coast Guard Academy, and has twice traveled to Iraq. He recently returned from a 10-day visit to Baghdad (see his dispatch here).

If you wish to contact Turner’s office, you can do so here.

UPDATE:
    Commenter Midwest Product fine-tunes the definition of “chickenhawk”: “A chickenhawk is someone who ascribes the bravery of soldiers in wartime to themselves because they take a pro-war position.”
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  2. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

more on the obfuscation by war enthusiasts in congress:

KOLB: I say to those people who want to keep up this surge indefinitely, if you have the courage of your convictions, then call for reinstatement of the draft. Because our volunteer Army was not designed, as Gen. Abizaid said, for the long war.

Escalation architect ret. Gen. Jack Keane and Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-CA) tag-teamed in an effort to downplay the diminished strength of the military. Keane said calling the Army broken “is one of the most offensive statements we can make.”

Hunter, ignorant of the views of numerous national security experts, said to Korb, “I don’t think that any of those people you’ve quoted — did Gen. McCaffrey ever say, ‘the Army is broken?’” Korb responded, “I will give you the exact quote, ‘The ground combat capability of the U.S. Army forces is shot.’” Watch it:

Keane and Hunter are not only callously ignorant of the reality of the situation in Iraq and the condition of U.S. forces fighting there, but are also ignorant of the judgments of other military experts:

- Gen. Colin Powell: The “active Army is about broken,” Powell said. Even beyond Iraq, the Army and Marines have to “grow in size, in my military judgment,” he said, adding that Congress must provide significant additional funding to sustain them. [LINK]

- Lt. Gen. James R. “Ron” Helmly: In a “memo to other military leaders [Helmly expressed] “deepening concern” about the continued readiness of his troops, who have been used heavily in Iraq and Afghanistan, and warning that his branch of 200,000 soldiers “is rapidly degenerating into a ‘broken’ force.”" [LINK]

- Former Defense Secretary William Perry: The Bush administration has “failed adequately to assess the size of force and equipment needed in post-invasion Iraq, creating “a real risk of ‘breaking the force’.” [LINK]

- Chief Of Staff Gen. Peter Schoomaker: “Over the last five years, the sustained strategic demand … is placing a strain on the Army’s all-volunteer force,” Schoomaker told the commission in a Capitol Hill hearing. “At his pace … we will break the active component” unless reserves can be called up more to help, Schoomaker said. [LINK]​

Countdown to the obligatory and tired "why do you want America to fail?" retort in ... 10.... 9.... 8...
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

That's excellent. In fact the whole piece was excellent.
  4. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

P.C was this on c-span this morning? If it was all I got to hear was Kean,I listened to him for about ten minuts and couldn't take any more.I didn't relize Korb was there. I would have love to have seen the whole exchange.
  5. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

The whole administration is,or was made up of chicken hawks. A point that should have been expounded upon more vigerously.
  6. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

it was... don't you love when the right-wing noise machine is exposed by the very vessel through which they live vicariously?

here is a military man asking the GOP to put its money where its mouth is, and instead the Con man turns around and tries to insult the man... "you don't have a PhD.?.... oh, you do?... well, your sources are bunk... oh, they're not?.... well, you're not a military expert.... oh, you are?" .... *runs for the door*
  7. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

It will probabley be on tonight late. Yes I relish every moment of it. Especialy when the young arrogant ones screw up and get slapped down.It doesn't happen enough. I've been thinking wait till theses guys are out of office the depth of decipt,and criminal activity will be astounding. But the more I watch the more I think they're very,very good at covering their tracks.
  8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

So does this mean that I can't smear Kevin Faulk when he fumbles cuz I've never played profootball? :D

Doh~! :enranged:

I'm teasing.