Chicago is the Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanInVa

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Basically, Green Bay = Minnesota, Chicago = Indy.

Sort of.

(This isn't about how these sets of teams play out against each other, it's about one being a contender, the other a pretender. Green Bay and Minnesota are teams that hover around 500... Indy and Chicago have been rolling over much of their competition.)

So, this week is the biggest real test until the playoffs... of course we can win against Chicago then go on a losing streak against sub-par teams, etc. etc. etc. But in all likelihood, this is the last chance we'll get to knock off a team we're not favored against.

39 minutes of possession time (like today) might not be a bad way to start... but we're also looking at a QB (Grossman) that performs unless and until you get to him with a big pass rush.

Are we up to it?

opinions welcome.

PFnV

The million dollar question. Can we play well against a good team?

The thing about the Bears is that they look like the type team that would intercept our passes and shut down our run game, as well as flatten Brady.

And our secondary......

I think it will be a tough game, and will shed some light on how our post season looks to shape up. Our easy schedule has been a blessing if you feel like we have used it to tighten up our offense, but we have floundered so far when the competition steps up a notch. I'm not a big fan of soft schedules in general, but I was thankful this year to have one. But at some point we will have to beat some decent teams too and we may as well start now!

JUdging by what I saw this evening from the Bears, I wouldn't be too worried about our secondary. I'm not sure the Bears can throw on a good defence which shuts the run down, which ours should. Tonight the Jets let Jones run for 121 yards and still Grossman - one play aside - couldn't capitalise. We should be OK on that side of the ball.

This game will be won on the other side and I think we'll need to see a varied game plan that puts Brady through the full range of his game and also uses Dillon and Maroney cleverly. The Jets moved the ball on Chicago enough to win the game, but Pennington blew up in the red zone. If Brady brings his A game next week, we win this game, and all but wrap up the division. If he's in Indy/Jets form, it will be a long night.

Should be a fascinating game and I'm really looking forward to it.

PatsFanInVa said:
So, this week is the biggest real test until the playoffs... of course we can win against Chicago then go on a losing streak against sub-par teams, etc. etc. etc. But in all likelihood, this is the last chance we'll get to knock off a team we're not favored against.

Are we up to it?

opinions welcome.

PFnV

Psychologically, mentally, if the Pats don't beat Chicago it will do some damage to the confidence of this Pats team, with so many young players.

Belichick could work a head-game miracle and pull the team together for a late season/post season surge, but that's asking a lot.

//

The Pats should treat this game like the Dallas game in 2003. Be very careful with the ball and wait for Grossman to make the mistake. Teams have run the ball against them and a conservative game plan is in order. I also think that Bill tried to make the Indy game a statement game but Brady blew it.

This will be their second chance. If they win this game, my feeling is that they will finish 13-3 and make a run at the superbowl. If they lose like they did to Denver or the Jets, they may still finish 12-4 but they may not make it out of the first round .

Mosi, I won't go so far as to say we'll be done early in the playoffs if we lose this game... but it is a definite gauge of whether we can "make big time plays in big time games."

We just need to find that middle ground where we get pressure on QBs without putting them in the hospital, and Rex should return to his fumbling and interception-throwing... but if we don't get that pressure - well, either we're missing the obvious Chicago weakness, or we're not good enough to get it.

Fascinating game... the one thing I don't want (and which we haven't been subject to this year) is a blowout. Now THAT can take the wind out of your sails.

PFnV

The feeling here in Homerville is that we can beat the Bears. I look at this as an old fashioned smash mouth game.

Our D-line matches up very well with their OL. I look for us to go more 4-3 this week to contain their running game.

As long as it's an even game or we are ahead we should try to keep trying to pound the ball with Corey and Maroney. Then we can hit them medium to deep with a pass every once and a while.

Having said all that, the game will end up being the exact opposite of what I just said.

Funny part about this game is that I'm concerned but not overly concerned about it. I personally don't think the Bears are that "elite" a team yet. They got beat by Miami, an AFC East team that we're quite familiar with. The Jets shot themselves and still played the Bears really tough. And freakin Arizona had them totally beaten until they managed to unbelievably choke the game away!

I would expect that the Pat's analysts have, by this time, fully analyzed all the film of the games that gave the Bears their biggest problems. The Bears are really good, but they are not great and they are flatout phenominally lucky to be at 9 and 1. Absolutely have no doubt that the Pats can beat these guys with the team we've got and I don't believe its going to be a close defensive game either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back