PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CHFF: WR epic fail

How many Superbowl winners have won it all with scrub wr's ?

If your team is truly bad enough to have earned a top 10 pick rather than having traded for it, and the best talent on your board is a WR by a good margin...that's when you trade your 1 for a later 1 plus something else, or for a 2 this year and a 1 next year, or whatever. Taking the best player available sounds good for a bad team, but if that player is a WR many times the return on investment just is not there. What good is a wonderful WR if the QB cannot get him the ball because either 1. the QB sucks, or 2. the OL sucks and the QB doesn't have time to do his job? If you do not have at least a serviceable OL and QB the rest does not really matter on offense.

Do you think that the Lions regret taking Calvin Johnson #2? How about the Cardinals drafting Larry Fitzgerald #3? or the Bengals drafting AJ Green #4? Or the Texans taking Andre Johnson #3? Just in the last 10 years, that's 4 guys who were top-5 picks, and whose teams have benefited greatly from having them.

I generally agree with what you're saying--for most teams, trading down is the right move--but there are absolutely situations where top-10 picks on WRs end up being worth it.

I think that is part of his point though.

Well I guess you should just draft a quarterback every year until you find one that works.

Kerry Byrne is kind of a moron and his 'facts' are really just opinions, and bad ones at that. Of course, the fact that he says Montana and Steve Young made Jerry Rice should be proof positive of that.

First, there's a lot of other rookies in the 1st and 2nd round last year who barely contributed at other positions. Second, Justin Blackmon was an odd guy to pick on when his numbers were actually quite good for a rookie wide receiver. His character issues notwithstanding, he steadily developed as a wide receiver over the course of the year and looked pretty good by the end of the season.

The idea that you can find talent in later rounds is silly, too. This is the 'well Tom Brady was a 6th round pick' logic that you hear every single year. Why not just trade your 1st and 2nd picks for tons of 6th and 7ths, then? Well, because most of those guys won't even make the team.

While I think it's unfair to grade guys after one season, especially in situations like Arizona and Jacksonville... it's not like getting either of those two guys was an option, and everyone else looked underwhelming all season and no one really did anything.

I remember how it was "the deepest WR draft ever" and "we need to draft a stud receiver".

Hard to draft a stud receiver when there aren't any available.

To all those arm chair GMs, yeah, Belichick might just know what he's doing.

What a skewed article. First off, 64 receptions for 865 yards is a successful rookie season for Blackmon.

Second, way to disregard two potential #1 WRs in this league with great rookie years in Ty Hilton and Josh Gordon.

Chris Givens and Kendall Wright look like future solid #2 WRs.

UDFA Rod Streater was quite a find for the Raiders last year and looks to start this year, watch out for him.

So just after their rookie seasons, the 2012 class produced 3 great WRs (Blackmon, Hilton, Gordon), and 3 solid WRs (Givens, Wright, Streater)

LOL, when I read the thread title I assumed it was an article about the present state of the Pats WR core. You can tell what I'm thinking these days....
So did I...

Blackmon actually played good when he had a half decent QB throwing him the ball. And I'd hardly even classify Chad Henne as half decent. Until week 10 he had about 250 yards recieving. Finished with 865. For a rookie who played half the year with absolute crap at QB and the other half with a decent backup caliber QB that is pretty damn good.

On the flip side of judging a WR after one season, I present one Michael Clayton

Clayton burst on the scene with 80 receptions 1,193 yard and 7 TD in his rookie year.

Over the next seven years he averaged 20 receptions for 252 yards, while accumulating a total of three more touchdowns.

As others have stated, one year is way too early to pass any type of judgement on a player.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back