PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CHFF: Fascinating stat on Patriots Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bertil

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Captain Comeback: Special Mistakes Set Up Super Rematch | Cold Hard Football Facts

"The New England Patriots are the only defense in the league to never allow more than 27 points in any game this season (including playoffs).

A few caveats: this is all about points allowed by the defense. Buffalo scored 34, but 7 were the result of a pick six thrown Brady. The Patriots allowed 27 twice on defense (Buffalo, Washington), which is their “minmax” this year."

Who would've guessed? This is certainly a different perspective. Now in the playoffs, that number is in the 15 point range. Hardly a scientific sample, I know. Let's hope this trend continues.

This site is always an interesting source of information, not found anywhere else. Then again, you can hardly expect the Pete Prisco's of the world to do anything remotely analytical. You get to hear what "Supercharged" Offense is playing "Light's Out" or who is "Taking his game to the Next Level". Yeah...uh, thanks there, Petey.

who knew that shooting for mediocrity could wind up being so rewarding.

good stuff.....here's to vince wilfork ripping chris snee's head off

That's why I laugh when people say the Giants are putting up 35. Not that they can't do it there's just no basis for it this season especially since we already played them once and it took 2 pass interference calls, 4 turnovers, and key injuries in game for them to get to 24.

Note that Captain Comeback is a mouth-frothing Brady hater when he posts on KFFL (aka Still No Life).

Fencer said:
.....a mouth-frothing Brady hater

Man, try saying THAT phrase 10 times in a row. That's a real tongue-tangler. :eek:

Agree with your assessment of CHFF, but must admit that there are times I do not understand them.

That's why I laugh when people say the Giants are putting up 35. Not that they can't do it there's just no basis for it this season especially since we already played them once and it took 2 pass interference calls, 4 turnovers, and key injuries in game for them to get to 24.

Let's not forget that 1. Nicks did not play 2. Cruz was not the star then that he has become 3. Bradshaw did not play 4. the Giants and Eli are playing much better now than they were around the middle of the season.

Note that Captain Comeback is a mouth-frothing Brady hater when he posts on KFFL (aka Still No Life).

That guy is still there? I thought he disappeared in 2007 when Brady's historic season was crushing all of his stupid anti-Brady rhetoric. I left that board midway through the season as I couldn't stand the vitriol and garbage. I guess he returned.

Let's not forget that 1. Nicks did not play 2. Cruz was not the star then that he has become 3. Bradshaw did not play 4. the Giants and Eli are playing much better now than they were around the middle of the season.

Yeah? So are we. We turned the ball over 4 frigging times that game and didnt give up 30 points.

Look the Giants are a great team, they can win this game and should probably be favored. But I'm getting really tired of them being treated like the 85 Bears and most of that stems from this fan bases perception that if the 07 team lost to them then there's no way this 11 team can beat them. Screw that. That team can be beat. This team which hasnt lost by double digits all season will not get steam rolled like I'm reading on some boards like SOSH. This fan base needs to sack the hell up.

This is the most amazing stat I heard last night on sportcentral and I think it bodes well for the Pats going forward and speaks to their resiliance.

Playoff teams that give up 2+ turnovers and 50 yards more offense to the opposition. Are 2-110 That would be Green Bay and our Patriots the only team to pull that off.

I think we have to look at points per drive. I imagine that the Patriots offense gives the patriots a higher time of posession (and thus fewer opportunities for the other team's offense to score) as well as the fact that the other team is usually playing from behind, thus it limits their playbook some.

Yeah? So are we. We turned the ball over 4 frigging times that game and didnt give up 30 points.

Look the Giants are a great team, they can win this game and should probably be favored. But I'm getting really tired of them being treated like the 85 Bears and most of that stems from this fan bases perception that if the 07 team lost to them then there's no way this 11 team can beat them. Screw that. That team can be beat. This team which hasnt lost by double digits all season will not get steam rolled like I'm reading on some boards like SOSH. This fan base needs to sack the hell up.

I think it will be a great game, but the Giants offense is more than capable of putting up 30 if we don't take advantage of Eli's hail marys. Of course, our offense is too, if we don't turn it over.

Agreed, but at the same time, Sergio Brown did play, and AHern hadn't fully recovered until early December. No doubt Nicks, Ballard, and Cruz will have their moments, but at that point in the season, our front seven wasn't anywhere near what it is now. The Pats have also played some solid front sevens the last two games, and aside from Suggs skinning Solder alive one time, the line has held firm.

The issue with the Giants is that they were 9-7 for a reason. They could blow us out by 20 points or get blown out by 30 points depending on which team shows up.

That guy is still there? I thought he disappeared in 2007 when Brady's historic season was crushing all of his stupid anti-Brady rhetoric. I left that board midway through the season as I couldn't stand the vitriol and garbage. I guess he returned.

Absolutely. His current screen name is Still_Swinging.

He just posted that he predicted before the game that Pollard would injure Gronkowski, and now he wants to get Pollard's autograph.

A nice read, but I can't forget that last week CHFF predicted a Pats loss based on the oft repeated mantra that we hadn't beaten anyone with a winning record in the regular season and therefore would not beat Baltimore.

Huh?

When the Giants won that game, it put them at 6-2. Their losing streak started right after that.

It's amazing how a Hail Mary and a 15 yards crossing pattern against a keystone cops secondary grows the legend. The reality is for the vast majority of the year, Nicks has been a butter finger/alligator arm receiver.

Ahh, yeah, Cruz was the "star" he is now.

I think we have to look at points per drive. I imagine that the Patriots offense gives the patriots a higher time of posession (and thus fewer opportunities for the other team's offense to score) as well as the fact that the other team is usually playing from behind, thus it limits their playbook some.
Well, in the playoffs, not counting kneel-drives, the Broncos had 12 drives for 10 points, and the Ravens had 11 drives for 20 points. That's a total of 23 drives for 30 points, or about 1.30 points per drive (0.83 against the Broncos, and 1.81 against the Ravens).

On the season as a whole, that stat's probably not too shabby, either, since the nature of the offense gives opposing offenses a lot of drives to respond.

Well, in the playoffs, not counting kneel-drives, the Broncos had 12 drives for 10 points, and the Ravens had 11 drives for 20 points. That's a total of 23 drives for 30 points, or about 1.30 points per drive (0.83 against the Broncos, and 1.81 against the Ravens).

On the season as a whole, that stat's probably not too shabby, either, since the nature of the offense gives opposing offenses a lot of drives to respond.

Actually the long drives by the Patriots offense reduces the number of drives opposing offenses have to respond. I think the Patriots D faced the fourth fewest opposing drives.

Lets not forget that 1. the Pat lost BOTH their starting safeties DURING the game (the worst time). and was down to their 3rd C and 2nd RT. 2 actually you are wrong in your 3rd point, because Cruz's production was consistent throughout the year. Its not like he got better after this game. 3. you are also wrong in your 4th point. The Giants came into that game one a roll and it was AFTER this game that they took their dip.

The Giants have a better running game with Bradshaw than without him. But think about this. He isn't nearly as good as Ray Rice who was controlled by the Pats, and if you wanted to pick a Giant player most likely to turn the ball over, even Giants fans would pick Ahmad Bradshaw.

The issue with the Giants is that they were 9-7 for a reason. They could blow us out by 20 points or get blown out by 30 points depending on which team shows up.

Agreed, I have absolutely no gut feeling about how this game will go. The Giants are extremely talented but extremely inconsistent; the Patriots defense is just settling into a stable identity; the Patriots' weakness in the defensive backfield is a tough matchup with the Giants' strength at WR; the Giants' weakness in the interior OL is a tough matchup with the Patriots' strength up front....

In short, anybody who feels confident about how this game will go must have one heck of a crystal ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down