Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevy

Huh?
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
LINK

Sheds a whole new light on this year's rushing attack.

Great read! Thanks...Puts a greater perspective on things....

LINK

Sheds a whole new light on this year's rushing attack.

Just saw that myself, thanks for sharing.

Gotta bump this. It is a good read, but, of course anything that compares football to bosums deserves to be read.

This is a very good read. I'm not 100% sold on Maroney yet - but my opinion is slowly changing. I'm beginning to think we are using him wrong - seeing him get the ball in space last week on those two swing passes, he looked great.

I just think he should be used more in toss sweeps, and off tackle, not center/guard gaps etc. I think if he was used more in space, he'd be more comfortable and more productive.

I haven't had the chance to view that article yet, but I think you always need to view CHFF with a critical eye (like all other media of course). They trumpet "facts" but in the past I have noticed they are not above cherry-picking those facts and presenting them in the best possible light to make the Pats look good. They are run by a Bostonian and are certainly not completely objective (unlike Football Outsiders which is also run by a Bostonian). Even so, they often have an interesting and informative perspective.

The large number of first downs on the ground suggests that they are effective. DVOA takes this into account. For example, a 2 yard run on 3rd and 1 is effective, even if it does not look good on the stats. Ditto for short yardage TDs.

However, I suspect that many of the yards we have come when grinding out teams in the 4th quarter when they are beaten already. Going with the eyes (which has some risk), I question our ability to impose the will by running the ball when it counts.

But, I do think the running ability is better than usually portrayed.

Great read. I could do without seeing Chesty, though. :eek:

Thanks for posting.

I haven't had the chance to view that article yet, but I think you always need to view CHFF with a critical eye (like all other media of course). They trumpet "facts" but in the past I have noticed they are not above cherry-picking those facts and presenting them in the best possible light to make the Pats look good. ....

If the data arrays in that short, decisive article constitute cherry-picking
.... then i find them so compelling, prima facie,
that it behooves anyone who wishes to stay on the other side of this debate
.... to "cherry-pick" their own set of facts and publish them.

Until then, CHFF has closed the discussion.

Good read...but i think everybody here has forgotten one thing (well probly not everybody)...

Sammy Morris...i would like to see our #'s compared before/after his injury...i bet they are alot different...i cant think of one productive game since then running-wise...

Good read...but i think everybody here has forgotten one thing (well probly not everybody)...

Sammy Morris...i would like to see our #'s compared before/after his injury...i bet they are alot different...i cant think of one productive game since then running-wise...

That's right, the book is FAR from CLOSED. CHFF utilizes the Pats team rushing stats for the WHOLE season, and Sammy Morris was a big part of the Patriots running game through the first 5 games until he got hurt. Take his production out of the equation, and the Pats are a far worse running team than 8th overall. Don't believe it? Just look at the numbers.

Game Yards YPC
1 54 4.9
2 51 5.1
3 46 3.8
4 117 5.6
5 102 4.9

http://www.nfl.com/players/sammymorris/gamelogs?id=MOR536043

Take Morris' production out of the equation, and the Patriots running game is far less robust. I also think that it is very concerning that Maroney's decline in production coincides nearly perfectly with Sammy Morris' absence.
That suggests that Maroney is better suited to be a complementary back, and struggles when he is asked to be the feature back all by himself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes