Welcome to PatsFans.com

Cheney's Company Providing Tainted Water to Troops

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by All_Around_Brown, Jan 23, 2006.

1. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

“The level of contamination was roughly 2x the normal contamination of untreated water from the Euphrates River,†Granger wrote in one of several documents. The Associated Press obtained the documents from Senate Democrats who are holding a public inquiry into the allegations Monday.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10977706/

That is, 2x the water from the Euphrates which directly receives human waste! Halliburton should be under investigation, but of course this Congress won't look into their egregious abuses, their criminal accounting, or their shoddy provision of services to our troops. Why? Because the puppet master is holding stock options and anything bad fopr Halliburton is bad for the criminal Cheney. oh theres more...it went on for over a year, in secrecy...

“It is my opinion that the water source is without question contaminated with numerous micro-organisms, including Coliform bacteria,†Carter wrote. “There is little doubt that raw sewage is routinely dumped upstream of intake much less than the required 2 mile distance.

“Therefore, it is my conclusion that chlorination of our water tanks while certainly beneficial is not sufficient protection from parasitic exposure.â€

Carter said he resigned in early April after Halliburton officials did not take any action to inform the camp population.

The water expert said he told company officials at the base that they would have to notify the military. “They told me it was none of my concern and to keep my mouth shut,†he said.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2006
  2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Just in a purely objective way, all things being equal (that is: Dems and "liberals" = repubs and "conservatives"), why shouldn't a huge contract as Halliburton has, be under the most extreme scrutiny and subject to revocation for events like these? It seems they have total immunity because of the bogus claim that they are the only ones who can do the job. Why does Halliburton enjoy such a shield from oversight?

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +557 / 22 / -19

Our government is corrupt, Wistah. I don't think we've seen anything like it since Nixon. We lack checks and balances.

4. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

By itself, I could see this as an honest mistake. But considering...

1. Haliburton has a no-bid contract

2. The government is immediately defending them instead of conducting an actual investigation (the army was quoted as saying the claims are unsubstantiated).

It certainly shows the government has an agenda in keeping Haliburton employed.

The Dems have their favorite cronies, too (look at what Bechtel/Parsons is doing here in Boston on the Big Dig), and I would hope both of those gross abuses would evoke outrage from everyone here. These are our soldiers that rely on Haliburton!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2006
  5. All_Around_Brown

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Think Bechtel is primarily a democrat contributor? Think again.

The company also has several close associations with previous Republican administrations. George Shultz, secretary of state during the Reagan administration, is a current Bechtel director. Past Bechtel executives include Caspar Weinberger, appointed defense secretary by former President Ronald Reagan in 1980, and William Casey, a former CIA director. Riley Bechtel, the company's chairman and chief executive, was also recently appointed to President Bush's export council.
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/bechtel_04-18-03.html

6. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Yeah, when it comes to corruption everyone has their hand in the cookie jar.

7. All_Around_Brown

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

True, but some appear more blatant and shameless than others. That goes for the republican donors who are now busy profiting off the Bush war.

8. Chevy

Chevy Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

Should be interesting to see where this leads. Seeing as the water used by the troops is constantly tested, there exists a record of the actual state.

9. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Outside of Halliburton, how many other companies have the capacity for an operation of this scale?

10. Chevy

Chevy Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

The troops themselves. Every field unit has water buffalos (towed water storage) as well as bladders (used for non-potable water such as field showers). Drinking water, even at remote camps, is bottled water - the same as you get in most stores here in the US.

In fact, the major bases in Saudi, the UAE, Kuwait, and Qatar have the drinking water (bottled, as I said) provided by the host nation.

11. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 50 / -7

#75 Jersey

All these people actually worked for Bechtel, before Reagan was elected, that's where he got them from. He had the brillant idea of letting men who had a proven track record in business run the government, Instead of a bunch of trust fund elites. That's how he turned the 22% Jimmy Carter inflation rate around, for those of you not old enough to remember what happens when the Democrats get control of the whole government, let me remind you, gas lines, record levels of inflation, unemployment, etc. So the fact that these men are back working for Bechtel only makes sense.

12. All_Around_Brown

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Was it worse than it is now that Republicans control the whole government?

But digression aside, there's a word for when business buddies get awarded top positions in government- its called cronyism. Thats what you seem to be referring to.

We're seeing alot of it today. Bush cronies, who may not be qualified for their positions, are taking positions that would be better served by the most qualified persons in their fields- and this has made america less safe.

Look no further than Brownie, or Chertoff. Thats how NO was lost to the inaction and incompetance of cronies. The Arabian Horse Association doesn't make you a disaster manager. And I'm willing to bet mine safety has been compromised by cronyism. Wait till you find out what happened to our beef inspection system (just a hint: stick with the fish).

And hiring firms that are close business associates to privatize the military ancillary functions amounts to cronyism and its resultant lack of oversight can directly harm our troops.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
  13. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Today, Republicans have control of the whole government, and everything is rosey. For those that can remember, we have corruption, indictments, illegal wiretaps, torture of prisoners, and invaded a country under false pretense. SWEET!