Welcome to PatsFans.com

Cheney: Yeah, we outed Plame... But we're immune.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, May 18, 2007.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

and so here it is.... admission.... at long last, what we all knew to be true is right out in the open... they outed Plame ...

you gotta love the defense tactic... "ok, ok... yes, we did it... we disclosed the identity of a COVERT CIA officer... but look, it's part of our normal duties to tell select members of the media such information.... throw this case out... please??"

how utterly satisfying and vindicating on so many levels...

Judge Told Leak Was Part of 'Policy Dispute'

By Carol D. Leonnig
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, May 18, 2007; Page A03

Attorneys for Vice President Cheney and top White House officials told a federal judge yesterday that they cannot be held liable for anything they disclosed to reporters about covert CIA officer Valerie Plame or her husband, former ambassador Joseph C. Wilson IV.

The officials, who include senior White House adviser Karl Rove and Cheney's former chief of staff, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, argued that the judge should dismiss a lawsuit filed by the couple that stemmed from the disclosure of Plame's identity to the media.

<snip>

U.S. District Judge John D. Bates asked: "So you're arguing there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- these officials could have said to reporters that would have been beyond the scope of their employment," whether the statements were true or false?

"That's true, Your Honor. Mr. Wilson was criticizing government policy," said Jeffrey S. Bucholtz, deputy assistant attorney general for the Justice Department's civil division. "These officials were responding to that criticism."

Erwin Chemerinsky, a Duke University law professor who is representing Wilson and Plame, said the leak was no typical policy debate. President Bush himself said that revealing Plame's identity could be illegal conduct and a firing offense, he told Bates.

Chemerinsky said that after Plame's cover was blown, the couple feared for their safety and their children's safety and Plame lost any opportunity for advancement at the CIA.

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Ladies and Gentelmen....welcome to communist China!

3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

so, when the judge rules on this in a few weeks, what will the defense strategy be then? they've already admitted to it....

who wants to bet this judge gets paid off in the time it takes for him to make his decision?

4. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +481 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

This administration is always raising the SCUM-LINE in the bath-tub of U.S.history to new levels.

5. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

i officially feel slightly sorry for Libby.... while guilty, he really was a fall guy for Cheney and Rove...

6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +465 / 12 / -14

The claim thaqt Plame was covert was made by the author of the Wa comPost article. not by Cheney's Defense. They calim the right to respond to the dishonest smear by Wilson.

Reading comphrension isn't your strong suit is it.

7. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

ah yes... as Pied Piper, I knew I'd get you, or staunchest Plame denier, to show yourself...

interesting that you still won't acknowledge their capitulation ... but rather instead cling to the "prove she was covert" bit of rationale...

the author wrote covert because he, like everyone, accept for you and a few shills at Fox News, knows she was covert...

regardless, now they're changing their story... first they denied they ever leaked her name to the press.... now, they're saying they had every right to leak her name to the press... gosh, there's consistent honesty for you...

8. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Point is, nobody gives a flying frig, Pressy. *YOU* may have wet dreams over it, but most of the world, most of America has long since moved on.

Hint: put down your pitchfork, lose the tinfoil, and get a life. You could even find happiness!!

:D

//

9. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

is this one of those posts you conveniently forget about when you praise yourself for debating with class and congeniality? it follows a pattern... with you making a personal attack first, and me responding...

i'm sure if Robertsons like yourself had their way, we'd all be forced to forget about your heroes' criminal intentions and endeavors, opening the door for future criminal endeavors... unfortunately, they will not be forgotten or silenced... as much as that ruffles your feathers...

Hint: put down your bible, lose the kool-aid, and try to enjoy life without such a tight sphincter... you may even find tolerance for your fellow man...

10. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Guess you don't read all my posts, the ones that have taken fundamental issue with W's ill-advised response to 9/11. Check this again, and see if you can catch the drift. My attitude is summed up very well here:

http://www.peacefederation.org/

It's pretty clear: peace comes through living for the sake of others, not from acting from a self-serving agenda. Means we need to reach *more* than half-way to the other, especially when differences exist.

I'm no Pat Robertson, probably any more than you are Lenin's second coming. Robertson is far too narrow, I never watch his show, and don't subscribe to his parochial view of life or God.

Bible: how often have I quoted the Bible? In the few instances when I used a quote here and there -- kinda like Sam Ervin at the ol' Watergate hearings, only being more apropos -- where do you disagree?

Kool-aid: you mean like not laying down and soaking up any and every mole-hill or old old news you try to turn into something earth-shatteringly new? No can do. You spin, I counter-spin. Life's a beach, ain't it.

Tight sphincter?? I dunno, Press. You seem to be the one who is constantly bulging your eyes and going apoplectic over the most mundane events, treating the Bush administration as if it were the virgin presidency of the US of A, as if the Clinton, Carter, Johnson, and Kennedy admins never happened. I'd suggest getting a little perspective before you blow out a mitre valve or something.

;)

//

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,149 / 5 / -10

Plames Husband Is An A$s Hole

He Thinks He's James Bond

We Can't Allow People Like Him Or Anyone Close To Him Running Around Loose Inside Our Government

:bricks:

12. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +252 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

You're "Cheney admission" is not found in that article. You are making that leap. You make a lot of leaps. Some of them "may" have some merit but the more bogus "proof" you put up here the more your credibility suffers, in my opinion. Just keeping it real.

13. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

What's real is that the CIA doesn't like to talk about how much coffee the break room at Langley goes through. What's also real is that the front company that the CIA used to mask her identity got outed as well. I wonder how many other operatives handed out Brewster Jennings calling cards over the years and what about the critical work they were doing and what happens to their careers? All just flushed away so a hack could score some cheap political points. Shameful.

14. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

True. She was NOC and had "nonofficial cover". which basically means the CIA would have disavowed her if she was busted in a foriegn country. She drove to the CIA headquarters daily, so to say she was a COVERT OPERATIVE is silly. However her disclosure had the unintended consequenses of "outing" Jennings company, which is bad. For the reasons listed above.

Hmmmm, sounds like a certain newspaper I know :rolleyes:

15. mr3putt

mr3putt 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Should we not hold the incumbant Administration to a higher standard than the scandle sheets?

The people they put at risk are working for them!!!

When running the "Empirial Presidency" there are no rules.....
    Except Rove's rules.

Cheney is scum...period

16. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +465 / 12 / -14

Whoi was put in danger??????

Plame who hadn't been overseas in years and wasn't going overseas again????

17. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

This is total B.S. Everyone knows that if a Democratic administration did this (and one in particular) that the Cheney defenders would be up in arms. Rove stated she was fair game. You can twist and spin that anyway that suits your purpose, but its bottom feeding at its' worst. So much talk about patriotism, moral, and bible thumping proclamations. It doesn't get too much lower then this. Unless you want to start an unproved war, which leads us right back to this topic.

18. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Us, this country, the USA.

This is no different than when Heraldo went on TV and laid out the Army's battle plan years ago. Its just more abstract and you're more than smart enough to know that.

19. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

He has a point PC........... explain how the text in the article YOU linked to explicitly details a "Cheney" admission. Part of this article speaks to Richard Armitage and his outing her to Novac (he should not have), which was to essentually add filler for Wilson's antics. Yes, there were some bad unintended consequenses such as the revalation of Brewster Jennings & Associates, but the truth is, we don't know the extent of the damage that it has done at this point. There are mixed report so far. Libby got fried for "being a moron" and he deserved it. The rest of this story is not nearly as advertised, it really isn't.

PC threw this out there, hoping that people would be duped into buying that there is some new revalation here. A for effort, but it just not the case. This is tactical posturing in a civil case is what this is. It means NOTHING at this point. Relax........... There are bad things afoot my friends, but lets keep our eye on the ball here.

It doesn't get too much lower then this??

Ummmmm, yeah. Seriously dude............. put down the kool-aid and step away from the pitcher.

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  20. mr3putt

mr3putt 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I guess you must have used your Top Secret clearence to uncover the details of what operations and contacts were blown...:rolleyes:

Do you think the CIA will release that data?
    This was political retribution foisted by Cheney upon Wilson's wife.

He sucks...and by defending this action....well...being so insightful I'm sure you can figure that out too.