Welcome to PatsFans.com

Cheney targeted in Afghan. blast

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Feb 27, 2007.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

while i don't wish death for the man, i do hope the Dark Lord took a good look at the latest innocent bodies blown to pieces because of him... and perhaps comes to realize that the real enemy lies in that country, and not Iraq...

Cheney OK after Afghan blast; 23 killed
    By ALISA TANG, Associated Press Writer

28 minutes ago

BAGRAM, Afghanistan - A suicide bomber attacked the entrance to the main U.S. military base in Afghanistan on Tuesday during a visit by Vice President Dick Cheney, killing up to 23 people and wounding 20. Cheney was unhurt in the attack, which was claimed by the Taliban and was the closest that militants have come to a top U.S. official visiting Afghanistan. At least one U.S. soldier, an American contractor and a South Korean soldier were among the dead, NATO said.

Cheney said the attackers were trying "to find ways to question the authority of the central government." A Taliban spokesman said Cheney was the target.

About two hours after the blast, Cheney left on a military flight for Kabul to meet with President Hamid Karzai and other officials, then left Afghanistan.

The vice president had spent the night at the sprawling Bagram Air Base, ate breakfast with the troops, and met with Maj. Gen. David Rodriguez, the commander of U.S. troops in Afghanistan.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

It's a sad day in Afghanistan.
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Isn't he supposed to be greeted as a liberator?
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I guess they are in the 'last throws' if you will...of assassination attempts on the VP.
  5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Let me know when there's a happy day in Afghanistan.:(
  6. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The next time that you claim that you are not actually rooting for the terrorists in this war, please refer yourself back to this post, I know I will.

Terrorists just attempted to murder the VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, and you're happy about it.
  7. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

While it may turn out that PressCoverage is actually rooting for the terrorists, his post didn't alude to that. To paraphrase, he said that hopefully thinking of the people who died in the blast will make Cheney reconsider his own behavior.
  8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I'm not sure how 'happy' people are....I wish NOBODY death in this world. and I don't think PC was wishing anyone death...

however.....

Dick Cheney is an evil person. He is a man out for personal gain, a man with a skewed vision of the world, and a coward. He has done nothing but create, promote and cause death to human beings.

Todays Challenge:
    Name 5 good things dick cheney has done for americans.
  9. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2

My Jersey:

Wait I thought all the Cheney haters who claim they support the WOT wanted more resources to Afghanistan? I thought the libs believed the Taliban were the bad guys?
  10. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

i'll keep this as respectful as it deservers... even though yours above showed me none...

but, your post here as a moderator is an embarrassment to Ian and all of Pasfans.com if this is the deduction you're imposing upon this forum ... you, like so many of your reactionary allies on this forum, are forming a conclusion that your opponent NEVER uttered for the purpose of attempting to demonize him... show me where, in the original post that you cite, that i indicated i was "happy about it."... i'm sorry, there is no such indication? oh...

mmm, yeah... not very responsible in the spirit of debate, are you... "moderator?".... how very Rovian ...

here's what i did say: 1) "i don't wish death on the man"... and 2) the real enemy is there in afghanistan and pakistan... NOT in iraq... never was...

big fan of Dick Cheney and all his ambitions are you, Teddy? let's get it out on the table, shall we? ... then we can debate the "merits" of the real leader of this administration...

but coming to the genius conclusion that i want him dead? or that i want "terrorists to win?" you're way offisdes there... a person of "power" and "responsibility" here should know better... i would ask for an apology, but i know i won't ever get one... because Bush Leaguers not only lack shame, they also lack any recognition of remorse...
  11. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Maybe now people in denial like Real World will see that we are losing Afg too, as Ive said for six months now.
  12. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2

My Jersey:

\\

But you did blame the deaths in this suicide bombing on Cheney

Since the 'enemy in your eyes is in Afghanistan and the bombing was Afghanistan, why are the innocent bodies blown to bits Cheney's fault rather than the people who ordered and carried out the bombing?
  13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2

My Jersey:

A guy blows himself up and it shows a war is lost???

BOy I would love to see what you would have said about the kamikaze's during WW2, you probably thought the Japanese were kicking our ass.

:D
  14. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Probably because had Cheney not been hell bent on an illegal invasion of a country that didn't attack us, instead of focusing on the one that did...it never would have come to this state of crisis in AFG.

Remember? Al Qaeda is based in AFG, and not Iraq?

Wow...you actually still believe what 75% of the rest of the USA has already rejected??
  15. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

There...now you are in need of english lesson too? Losing vs lost.

Look it up
  16. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

He was, which is why the oppressors tried to kill him.
  17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2

My Jersey:

Nice dodge the point remains you think twe are losing due to a sucicde bomber. What would have been your response to thousands of suicide bombers.
  18. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I guess children going to school, people voting for the first time in their lives, and women being taught in classrooms is misery at it's finest.
  19. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

tell me, patsfans.... if cheney did not show up at that base, would there have been a bombing there this morning?... i would say that's quite "because of him"... not you?

or are you creating a new intent on my meaning like you always do?
  20. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Um..it demonstrates that security has fallen off dramatically since we first invaded. As for multiple attacks, everyone in the know seems to think we'll see that this spring.

Do you disagree that AFG is falling apart?
  21. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

We are loosing there? Really? News to me & most everyone else.

I see, more kneejerk assumptions which lack logic. A bomb goes off and we are loosing. Kinda like seeing snow and saying "what Global Warming?". :D
  22. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

What crisis in Afghanistan? Do you really think the Taliban is going to come back into power? You're hatred of this administration, though warranted, blinds you.
  23. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2

My Jersey:

Really there was a point in time when someone in Afghanistan could have blown himself up OUTSIDE an Airbase????/

Wow, next thing you know if a terrorist blows himself up while building a device in his house it will be proof they are winning????

:D :rolleyes:
  24. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Suicide bombings went up from 20 to 139 in Afghanistan. Why? Cuz we are losing? Or is it because the enemy is desparate? Hmm....
  25. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2

My Jersey:

Well by your twisted it was Kennedy's fault that Gov Conelly was shot cause after all if Kennedy didn't visit Dallas, would there have been a shooting in Dallas that Day.

Brilliant, :p

Lefties always good for a laugh. Blame the target rather than the terrorist. Are you studing to be a liberial judge or something?
  26. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

might wanna do a bit more reading about the state of things there... coalition forces there are undoubtedly losing ground... perhaps, you know, if your heroes in office didn't opt to redeploy to Iraq, then all the progress the coalition made there in late 01-early 02 wouldn't be in profound danger...

The Rise of Jihadistan

Five years after the Afghan invasion, the Taliban are fighting back hard, carving out a sanctuary where they—and Al Qaeda's leaders—can operate freely.

By Ron Moreau, Sami Yousafzai and Michael Hirsh
    Newsweek

Oct. 2, 2006 issue - You don't have to drive very far from Kabul these days to find the Taliban.

<snip>

Not long after NEWSWEEK's visit, U.S. and Afghan National Army forces launched a major attack to dislodge the Taliban from Ghazni and four neighboring provinces. But when NEWSWEEK returned in mid-September, Sabir's fighters were back, performing their afternoon prayers. It is an all too familiar story. Ridge by ridge and valley by valley, the religious zealots who harbored Osama bin Laden before 9/11—and who suffered devastating losses in the U.S. invasion that began five years ago next week—are surging back into the country's center. In the countryside over the past year Taliban guerrillas have filled a power vacuum that had been created by the relatively light NATO and U.S. military footprint of some 40,000 soldiers, and by the weakness of Afghan President Hamid Karzai's administration.

In Ghazni and in six provinces to the south, and in other hot spots to the east, Karzai's government barely exists outside district towns. Hard-core Taliban forces have filled the void by infiltrating from the relatively lawless tribal areas of Pakistan where they had fled at the end of 2001. Once back inside Afghanistan these committed jihadist commanders and fighters, aided by key sympathizers who had remained behind, have raised hundreds, if not thousands, of new, local recruits, many for pay. They feed on the people's disillusion with the lack of economic progress, equity and stability that Karzai's government, NATO, Washington and the international community had promised.

NATO officials say the Taliban seems to be flush with cash, thanks to the guerrillas' alliance with prosperous opium traffickers. The fighters are paid more than $5 a day—good money in Afghanistan, and at least twice what the new Afghan National Army's 30,000 soldiers receive. It's a bad sign, too, that a shortage of local police has led Karzai to approve a plan allowing local warlords—often traffickers themselves—to rebuild their private armies. U.N. officials have spent the past three years trying to disband Afghanistan's irregular militias, which are accused of widespread human-rights abuses. Now the warlords can rearm with the government's blessing. Afghanistan is "unfortunately well on its way" to becoming a "narco-state," NATO's supreme commander, Marine Gen. Jim Jones, said before Congress last week.
  27. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

from now on, when you attempt to make some lame parallel to Kennedy or Clinton, and refuse to acknowledge the challenge posed to you, i'll officially consider that your cowardly form of capitulation...

i believe tricky Dick was supposed to be home by now... but, of course, with the deliberations dragging on, he's decided to extend his trip a few days...
  28. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The enemy is desperate. I hope so. Unfortunately, even a cursory look at history tells you that people of this region are more than willing to wage war for hundreds of years.

Now, spin doctor, you could say its a sign of desparation. The council on foreign relations probably has a more unbiased opinion. and this from a year ago...

http://www.cfr.org/publication/10551/
  29. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2

My Jersey:

They run the same story about the spring offensive every year.
  30. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

lol... that's your reply? ...