Welcome to PatsFans.com

Cheney Advocates for Gay Marriage...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Jun 1, 2009.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +715 / 20 / -30

Guess the realities of living with a gay daughter has an impact.. interesting..

Cheney vs. Obama, but... - Ben Smith - POLITICO.com

2. godef

godef In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

3. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I was watching Hardball the other week, and he interviews two people who are fighting for gay marriage in California. Forget the second person's name, but..........sit down........the other person was......Ted Olson. Somehow, I was sure Mathews had gotten it wrong, but sure enough, he's an advocate for same sex marriage.

4. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,814 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

I've been saying this for years on end. Freedom for 1 is not possible without freedom for all. Who the frig wants to live under different rules. The stupid "civil union" thing ... please. A civil union is a marriage with restrictions and the rest is just word play. Marriage for gays will neither increase or decrease the segment of our population that is gay. Marriage for gays will bring society down is the worst one. My wife and I are surrounded by gay households ... great neighbors and wonderfull people. Two of them are white gay females who adopt African-American children ... beat that anti gay marriage people.

5. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +130 / 20 / -16

Does that mean if we accept Gay Marriage, we can get rid of affirmative
    action?

6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,814 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

Well you have a point ... times have changed, modified at least to the present times.

that being said ... not happening anytime soon.

7. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Cheney's daughter is a lesbian.

8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +715 / 20 / -30

Guess you did not read the first post of this thread...

9. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

If I'm not mistaken he said as much in 2000 when he was running for VP under Bush. This is not particularly new news.

10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +715 / 20 / -30

Why has he been silent since then?? it certainly has created a shytstorm for most of the pols...

11. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +116 / 10 / -15

#37 Jersey

Not really a new position or different from what he has said before. If the will of the people in a state is to have gay marriage so be it, and if it is the will of the state not to have it than that is fine also. California did it the right way, not that a vocal minority got it's way or judicial law making, it was the will of the people. They are more than welcomed to go get married in Massachusetts or Iowa.

12. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Inalienable rights are rights that can't be taken away for any reason baring due process. IE my personal freedom or my right to own a gun can't be taken away without a trial. Public opinion is irrelevant. Now if some gay guy ran around and married a bunch of people, got convicted of Polygamy and his sentence said he can't marry anyone else, that'd be fine. Otherwise its none of society's business.

13. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +738 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

The "right" to a piece of paper saying you're married is wholly different from your right to be gay. You would have a strong argument if we were discussing banning the action of being gay.

14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +839 / 7 / -3

It's funny how Cheney is Darth Vader to just about everybdy, yet today he's everyone's binky. All cuz he's got a gay daughter, and is in favor of gay marriage. I find that funny.

So when can I marry my cousin, or my dad? At the very least, when will I be able to marry multiple women, cuz one simply isn't enough!

Last I checked Civil Unions provided all the legal rights of a marraige. This issue is about forcing a lifestyle the public accepts, but doesn't condone, down it's throat. Nothing more, nothing less.

Where's the amendment that guarantee's the "right to get married"? It doesn't exist. Even the 2nd Amendment, which protects the right to bear arms, comes with qualifiers, definitions, and restrictions. So the idea that society cannot define what a marraige is, is off base, especially when the basic legal rights afforded by one, are granted by CU's.

15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +715 / 20 / -30

Not quite sure he would be characterized as a binky, just an interesting perspective from an unexpected source.. just was not expecting him for be an advocate for gay marriage.. just seems something much different from his usual personna...