PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cheer up!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

allbosfan

On the Roster
Reaction score
A lot of posts are of Pat's fan saying how depressed they are. After the Sox lost to the Yankees in 2003, I was depressed for several weeks. It was devastating. Last year I was diagnosed with cancer and hopefully cured. It put a lot of things in perspective. One thing I know for sure, I will not let the outcome of a sporting event get me depressed again. I have enough issues to deal with. This last lost had the potential to repeat the depression I experienced in 2003. But, because of my recent experience, I did not let it. Sports that you have no control over should in no way effect your emotions in a negative way. I think it is ok to root for them and experience the high of a win. But, in no way should the low of a loss cause you to be depressed. I will miss going to the parade and the opening day ceremonies. However, that is the only way that I will let it effect me. That being said, I think it is tough to be a sports fan in Boston. The teams are good enough to give you high expectations. And, you have to expect that they will let you down now and again. Hopefully the Sox will have a repeat of last year. Otherwise, they will really be testing my new philosophy.

You have a achieved a perspective that a lot of us fail to grasp in times like these or don't have because we haven't experienced the same things. Thank you for your post and good luck to you my friend.

A lot of posts are of Pat's fan saying how depressed they are. After the Sox lost to the Yankees in 2003, I was depressed for several weeks. It was devastating. Last year I was diagnosed with cancer and hopefully cured. It put a lot of things in perspective. One thing I know for sure, I will not let the outcome of a sporting event get me depressed again. I have enough issues to deal with. This last lost had the potential to repeat the depression I experienced in 2003. But, because of my recent experience, I did not let it. Sports that you have no control over should in no way effect your emotions in a negative way. I think it is ok to root for them and experience the high of a win. But, in no way should the low of a loss cause you to be depressed. I will miss going to the parade and the opening day ceremonies. However, that is the only way that I will let it effect me. That being said, I think it is tough to be a sports fan in Boston. The teams are good enough to give you high expectations. And, you have to expect that they will let you down now and again. Hopefully the Sox will have a repeat of last year. Otherwise, they will really be testing my new philosophy.

Congrats on beating cancer, you are blessed. I have to take issue with your suggestion that getting depressed by a loss like yesterday's would vanish given proper "perspective." You can only feel the high of a great win through emotional investment that can't be turned on or off like a light switch. Getting bummed out by a loss of this magnitude (the chance to go 19-0) is only natural for a passionate fan. It's OK to feel the pain as a dedicated fan. It shows you're alive, that you care.

Good post.

I'm still depressed. It sucks.

...You can only feel the high of a great win through emotional investment that can't be turned on or off like a light switch. Getting bummed out by a loss of this magnitude (the chance to go 19-0) is only natural for a passionate fan. It's OK to feel the pain as a dedicated fan. It shows you're alive, that you care.

My feelings exactly.

Congrats on beating cancer, you are blessed. I have to take issue with your suggestion that getting depressed by a loss like yesterday's would vanish given proper "perspective." You can only feel the high of a great win through emotional investment that can't be turned on or off like a light switch. Getting bummed out by a loss of this magnitude (the chance to go 19-0) is only natural for a passionate fan. It's OK to feel the pain as a dedicated fan. It shows you're alive, that you care.
I know how I would of felt. I did feel deeply depressed in 2003. I am sure that this would have been similar. However, I now realize that the loss really shouldn't effect my quality of life. The thought of taking abuse from non Patriots fans does not thrill me. But so be it. But, don't get me wrong, I do care about the Pats. However, I care about having a healthy mind and body even more.

Thank you for this post. I'm trying to put things in perspective but it's tough when you live in Dallas with idiot Cowboy fans. :(

No offense but unless we have been through what you have its hard for us to relate. We can think about it and imagine, but unless we have stared down what you have we cannot truly understand.

So yes you have the right perspective and in some ways that is a gift. But you have to remember what it was like before facing something like that.

Everything is relative, you know the old saying "I complained because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet".

Congratulations and thanks for the perspective. It may just take a while for it to fully sink in. :D

Another thing to cheer up y'all:

Any time you hear someone talking about you 'choking' or your 'epic fail', remember that only the second one applies. Being literally within a minute of going 19-0 is epic, even in losing. No one else has been that close. Choking, as I reminded an Ohio State shirt wearing Pats hater down here, is being billed as an unstoppable juggernaut and then getting hammered 41-14 in a game that wasn't nearly that close. (I've never quite heard that sort of inchoate rage and hatred as the resulting sputtering against all things Florida, but at least it stopped the very tired 'cheaters' crap)

Also, I still think your team ranks as one of the best ever. I still consider the 15-1 Vikes squad one of the best ever; the fact that we managed to beat them in the regular season still seems unreal years after the fact. I have a similar level of disbelief that the Patriots didn't win last night.

No offense but unless we have been through what you have its hard for us to relate. We can think about it and imagine, but unless we have stared down what you have we cannot truly understand.

So yes you have the right perspective and in some ways that is a gift. But you have to remember what it was like before facing something like that.

Everything is relative, you know the old saying "I complained because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet".

Congratulations and thanks for the perspective. It may just take a while for it to fully sink in. :D
I definitely remember how it was before. As a Red Sox fan, 1986 and 2003 felt like death. I especially remember the day after Boone's homerun. I work in Boston and it was like someone close to everyone and myself just died. Hopefully, a sporting event will not make me feel that way again. However, the Red Sox season is coming up, so you never know. Also, I am not sure if any loss can ever compare to the pain of major Red Sox loss.

thanks for the post, and good luck

Excellent post.

Over it the next morning. I enjoyed much of the season. Here's hoping they will do things better this coming season.

Last edited:
Yeah, I had a similar (though not so severe) experience. My wife was as upset, if not more, then me at the..... umm happenings. But she works in a hospital, and yesterday morning she had to deliver some medicines to the emergency room and heard someone getting a grim diagnosis for a loved one. That snapped her out of her mood immediately.

We all love football, and this wasn't fun to experience. There are, however, things we should all be grateful for and remember that this is hardly the end of the world. This is gonna sound Hallmark movieish and cornbally, but I think doing something nice for someone in the next few days might help us feel better.

That or breaking the jaw of the nearest person with Giants paraphenalia on. Either way.

Cheer up all, at least your not in Afghanistan......like me.
We play for all the marbles every day here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back