PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chatham's No Guts, No Glory: Inside the Pats Running Game Rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.
More great stuff from Chatham. I only wish it were longer. I do recommend watching it several times, and you will get more from it every time. For example I took these nuggets from it.

When David Andrews has no one on him in a 4-3 look he attacks the 2nd level and gets a great block on the LB. However when he has a big body directly on him, its another story. The best he can do is get position on him. While an asset when he's uncovered, he, as you would expect at his size, seems to become a liability when he is.

Julian Edelman is almost as good a blocker as he is a receiver as you will see on more than one occasion in this clip

Solder is a beast in the running game, and Tuney doesn't suck either. They don't just block people, they MOVE them.

There is a lot of other stuff, you just have to take the time to watch it over and over. BTW- remember this clip just show a few successful runs. There were about a dozen plays which netted nothing in this game. I would have loved to have seen a couple of those plays to see why the play failed. It would only be fair.

More great stuff from Chatham. I only wish it were longer. I do recommend watching it several times, and you will get more from it every time. For example I took these nuggets from it.

When David Andrews has no one on him in a 4-3 look he attacks the 2nd level and gets a great block on the LB. However when he has a big body directly on him, its another story. The best he can do is get position on him. While an asset when he's uncovered, he, as you would expect at his size, seems to become a liability when he is.

Julian Edelman is almost as good a blocker as he is a receiver as you will see on more than one occasion in this clip

Solder is a beast in the running game, and Tuney doesn't suck either. They don't just block people, they MOVE them.

There is a lot of other stuff, you just have to take the time to watch it over and over. BTW- remember this clip just show a few successful runs. There were about a dozen plays which netted nothing in this game. I would have loved to have seen a couple of those plays to see why the play failed. It would only be fair.

My football knowledge is minimal but still love these type videos.

Curious question for you though. What differences in line play do you see when comparing Scar to Dave DeGuglielmo?

My football knowledge is minimal but still love these type videos.

Curious question for you though. What differences in line play do you see when comparing Scar to Dave DeGuglielmo?
That's a tough one. I know everyone was pretty down on Googs because of the problems we had on the OL at the end of the year, but quickly forgot about a similar patchwork OL that he made work against an awesome front 7 of Seattle for a superbowl win. Think about it, the interior starting 3 of that team was Connolly Stork and Wendell. ALL three are currently out of the league. So if you are going to hammer him over the OL failures of 20015, you HAVE to give him credit for the successes of 2014.
'
So its safe to say that Guggs was a good NFL coach, and the 2015 OL injury situation has been well documented, as we all know so well. So I was surprised when they let him go. It's not like he had a lot to work with. So anything I say is purely supposition.

I can think of 2 reasons. I'm guess BB wasn't really happy with the development of the young guys like Mason, Jackson, and Stork. He also wasn't happy with the overall discipline of the group as well. Remember all BB had compare his OL's with was with Dante, and that's like trying to succeed BB as the next Pats HC, and you are NEVER going to look good in that comparison regardless of how well you do.

I'm guessing there might have been a conflict over basic philosophy in coaching the OL. Remember Googs was one of the rare guys who came from outside the system. Sometimes adding some new DNA improves the mix. Sometimes it doesn't.

But in my mind, I think the biggest reason is that Dante signaled the Pats that retirement got old pretty fast and wanted to come back. So why settled for the replacement when you can have the real thing. So if BB was anything less that 100% happy with Googs, he had to let him go. Googs certainly showed he was good enough, and while I forget exactly where he landed, I'm sure he got a great recommendation from BB, and landed on his feet a better coach than he was before he came.

Again those are my SPECULATIONS. In summary there might have some conflict over how to get thing done, like there was with Pees and the guy who is the DC in GB, but in this case I believe it was the simple fact that Dante wanted back in and BB would choose Dante over anyone.

I noticed that, during the highlights, Develin was nowhere to be found.

In last year's AFC Championship, the starting O-Line was Vollmer-Kline-Stork-Mason-Cannon. The whole left side of that line has changed. RT would be different if Vollmer was healthy, and who knows whether Mason would be the starter at RG this year if everyone had been healthy.

That's a tough one. I know everyone was pretty down on Googs because of the problems we had on the OL at the end of the year, but quickly forgot about a similar patchwork OL that he made work against an awesome front 7 of Seattle for a superbowl win. Think about it, the interior starting 3 of that team was Connolly Stork and Wendell. ALL three are currently out of the league. So if you are going to hammer him over the OL failures of 20015, you HAVE to give him credit for the successes of 2014.
'

I refuse to give Googs credit. He basically did every combination until one stuck. Basically one that had most of the previous starters under Dante. Wendell was always a starter and the line didn't improve until he came back. He thought Devey and Cannon were better options at guard smh. Connolly and Wendell were vets that played years together and Stork didn't have head issues at the time. Also, guys never improved under Goog. Look at Flemming/Cannon under Googs and now under Scar.

I noticed that, during the highlights, Develin was nowhere to be found.

He showed 5 plays. two of them were 3WR/1TE/1RB sets, two of them were 2WR/2TE/1RB sets. The other one was the 3rd one in the highlight reel -- a short yardage play, 1WR/3TE/1RB where Develin was the 3rd TE lined up to the left (all 3 were lined up left). He did a great job of sealing his blocker, but Blount ran through the hole created by Gronk (lined up closest to the middle) and Solder instead. Everyone on the line dominated on that particular play.

I think this is a good thing. In theory the Patriots should be able to win on the ground when the FB is on the field. The fact that they can run without him on the field allows them to be less predictable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes