Chatham disagrees with the Patricia haters

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuantumMechanic

Burn it all down!
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
"A guy that commands the respect of a diverse group of NFL defensive stars, from Wilfork to Revis. A guy that has just called a ridiculously impressive stretch of games over the past two months in stifling fashion over some of the best offenses in football. A guy that happens to be one of the best defensive coordinators in all of the NFL. "

http://www.footballbyfootball.com/column/matt-patricia-winning

Patricia had haters. Why? I have no idea. People either don't realize or conveniently forget that the defensive game plan is Belichick's. Patricia just calls the plays.

I didn't realize Patricia had haters. McDaniels -- sure. But not Patricia. I think he's done great things with this D.

Patricia has been a whipping boy for the perceived failures of the defense in the past, and has been variously labelled a BB lackey, in over his head, and other things. The general pattern is not that dissimilar from McDaniels - blame the coordinator when things don't work, laud BB when they do.

I think Patricia has "broken out" this year and showed the kind of creativity that we've craved. He seems to have established himself as a respected presence and moved out of BB's shadow a bit. I'm very pleased with what he's done this year, and largely agree with Chatham.

I didn't realize Patricia had haters. McDaniels -- sure. But not Patricia. I think he's done great things with this D.

Same here. Considering NE's been playing catchup for years on the defensive roster, I thought Patricia was doing a fine job. I guess his detractors have been less vocal or on my ignore list.

Matt Patricia was calling the defensive plays under DC Dean Pees as early as 2009, but came under lots of criticism here in 2012 when he took over as Defensive Coordinator because the defense was so bland and was continuing to get torched down the field. The 2012 defense was giving up 20 ppg (8th in the NFL) but almost 248 ypg passing, 22nd overall.

That 2012 defense was making mediocre quarterbacks look good.

Given the tools at all three levels, and Patricia is doing fine this year. Belichick wouldn't have a defensive coordinator who didn't have the respect of his players nor one who couldn't scheme to take away key strengths of an opponent.

Matt Chatham's piece is a good one. I especially like:

"Matt just does what he does. He works his ass off, comes up with unique weekly defensive approaches, and orchestrates Sundays with a balance of discipline and creativity. Most impressively, he hasn't been beholden to any particular approach. The public calls to just-have-Revis-do this, or MORE PASS RUSH, or whatever other distraction, but Matt understands that's not the best way to get the Patriots to where they want to go. There's a lot more to it than that. The opponents are wildly different, so the defensive approach has to be as well. The team has stocked the roster with versatile people, giving the coordinator license to be multiple in his own approach."

I think Patricia has "broken out" this year and showed the kind of creativity that we've craved.

It is interesting how we hear regularly now that NE is doing things the opposing coach/coordinator/QB hadn't seen on film. Not recently or even in the last year. Ever.

How much of that is natural development (reacting to league changes, implementing new ideas from the college game, etc) and how much is Patricia's doing? Or is it just that this is one of the most versatile rosters we've seen in a long time?

It is interesting how we hear regularly now that NE is doing things the opposing coach/coordinator/QB hadn't seen on film. Not recently or even in the last year. Ever.

How much of that is natural development (reacting to league changes, implementing new ideas from the college game, etc) and how much is Patricia's doing? Or is it just that this is one of the most versatile rosters we've seen in a long time?

Realistically, it's got to be a combination of the 3. The evolution of offenses drives things, but without the personnel to make things work or a creative defensive mind the options are limited.

Or is it just that this is one of the most versatile rosters we've seen in a long time?

Versatility AND talent along with Patricia's ability to call a good game is what really makes a difference this year.

Check this out. Player, draft position and production

Wilfork, PB, 1st rd
Chung, 2nd rd
Arrington, led league in INTs
McCourty, 1st rd
Revis, PB, 1st rd
Browner, PB
Ayers 2nd rd
Branch, 2nd rd 33rd pick
Collins, 2nd rd
Hightower, 1st rd
Chandler Jones, 1st rd
Easley 1st rd
Harmon,3rd rd
Mayo 1st rd
Wilson 2rd rd.
Nink- led team in sacks in 2012

My point: Almost 70% of the defense has been drafted in the 1st 3 rounds, has made the PB, or has led the league or team in a defensive category. A lot of talent and a lot of guys that produce at the NFL level on the defensive side of the ball.

Patricia haters?!?! I think Matt opened his Christmas present early.

image.jpg

:D (good article otherwise tho)

Denver: 43–21, average in other games: 29.7
Indy: 42–20, average: 31.1
Detroit: 34–9, average: 20.9
Green Bay: 21–26, average: 31.5
San Diego: 23–14, average: 22.2
Miami: 41–13, average: 24.2

In other words, by average, the Patriots should have given up 160 points over the last six games. They navigated that gauntlet giving up just 103, and 14 of those were garbage time against Denver.

I think Patricia has "broken out" this year and showed the kind of creativity that we've craved. He seems to have established himself as a respected presence and moved out of BB's shadow a bit.
Either that, or the team signed Darrelle Revis. ;)

Great insight from Chatham as always. Just hope that SpaceX doesn't steal Matt Patricia away. :)

This season BB & Co finally has the flex talent to implement the shape-shifter D they've always wanted to run.

Great insight from Chatham as always. Just hope that SpaceX doesn't steal Matt Patricia away. :)

This season BB & Co finally has the flex talent to implement the shape-shifter D they've always wanted to run.
I had no idea reusability was a defensive play.

Green Bay: 21–26, average: 31.5

I know fans felt (and I) that the Pats let one slip away, the fact that GB was averaging 43.8 ppg at home and NE allows 17 less than their average is pretty damn good.

Never read any Patricia hate because anyone with enough functioning braincells to post on the internet knows that Patricia is there to put Belichick's plan into place.

I love our defense as it is currently. I'm not 100% convinced that Belichick is the defensive genius that he was because I think in the hands of Rex Ryan this would be the #1 overall defense in the NFL. My rationale being that this is a more talented defense than anything Rex ever had in New York.

The dislike and disagree buttons are right over here: -------------------------------------------V

Looking for the deranged button in vain

JETS FAN!!!!

I've criticized Patricia in the past for obvious reasons but I have never hated him or called for him to be fired. I have seen too many bad defenses around the league and realized a long time ago to count our blessings.

Looking around the league, I am amazed that the Redskins still employ defensive coordinator Jim Haslett. I have seen some ridiculously bad defenses like Colts of past years and the Bears this year, but nobody has been consistently bad as what Haslett has put out there. They obviously have their moments and it is the reason they aren't ranked last but when it is bad it is some of the worst defensive football I have ever seen. We joke about guys like Bequette having pics, but Haslett trumps him. I used to feel this way about Cutler as well but the ax is finally falling on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots