PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chat Room Breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFan37

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread for this, since there are disparate comments here and there on how a few trolls made it unusable for everyone else.

It's not a huge deal for me, because I won't use the chat room normally anyway, but I was watching the game alone last night, so I signed in. Ugghhh, what a horrible experience. Trolls were filling it up with trash and as soon as they could be /ignore'd, they'd sign in with another user name.

I could PM Ian with this, but enough people were annoyed, I thought I should go public. Is there anyway to have /ignore work against an IP address? If not, can the bulletin board software company get that as a feature request (it shouldn't be hard for them to implement). Otherwise, the chat room might need to be moderated, assuming mods have the ability to ban an IP.

Another possibility is to link the chat room to the main board and only allow registered users with X posts to use it, and they have to sign in with their board moniker, and the mods could take away their chatroom authority if they started trolling. That's probably a much bigger software change, but again it's worth suggesting.

I know there are several users who don't get the games on TV, who use the chat room as their only means of finding out what is happening live. This is for them.

BTW, by 'moderating the chat room' I don't mean saying yes/no on each message. I mean have the ability to kill trolls.

Last edited:
Thought I'd start a thread for this, since there are disparate comments here and there on how a few trolls made it unusable for everyone else.

It's not a huge deal for me, because I won't use the chat room normally anyway, but I was watching the game alone last night, so I signed in. Ugghhh, what a horrible experience. Trolls were filling it up with trash and as soon as they could be /ignore'd, they'd sign in with another user name.

I could PM Ian with this, but enough people were annoyed, I thought I should go public. Is there anyway to have /ignore work against an IP address? If not, can the bulletin board software company get that as a feature request (it shouldn't be hard for them to implement). Otherwise, the chat room might need to be moderated, assuming mods have the ability to ban an IP.

Another possibility is to link the chat room to the main board and only allow registered users with X posts to use it, and they have to sign in with their board moniker, and the mods could take away their chatroom authority if they started trolling. That's probably a much bigger software change, but again it's worth suggesting.

I know there are several users who don't get the games on TV, who use the chat room as their only means of finding out what is happening live. This is for them.

I agree, it was a pain.

However, on the flip side of that pats1 did an amazing job of updating the chat and basically covering each play on the chat - Thanks, pats1!!

I agree, it was a pain.

However, on the flip side of that pats1 did an amazing job of updating the chat and basically covering each play on the chat - Thanks, pats1!!
He always does. I admit I didn't stick around for that, but I've seen it before and he does a terrific job.

I don't disagree. Not sure how complicated some of what you suggest may be, however. I have to say, the old chat room was much easier in terms of IGNORING people, changing your color, etc... Any way to work that out, as well?

This website uses GTChat.

From the website (http://www.scripts.com/perl-scripts/chat-scripts/gtchat/)

Gtchat is Unix compatible. GTChat is a fast, user-friendly Web-chat application that works in both server-push and client-pull mode. The configuration possibilities are enormous. Feature list includes emoticons, private rooms and advanced administrator functions like kicking oder banning forever disturbing visitors. English, French, Swedish and other language packs available. Low resource usage, no database needed, Perl 5.005 or higher is enough.

Seems like the functionality is there, somebody just needs to go do it.

-Mark

yeah, it was ugly. I couldn't keep up with the /ignore

I think admins can ban by IP - the solution here is to have Ian make pats1 (and a select few others) admins on the board, so they can do that. Otherwise, the chat will be mostly useless, unfortunately.

I don't understand why they changed from the old chat room, which was actually useful during the game because it was much more fully featured. I wasn't aware of any complaints with it, except for the periodic trolls.

I don't understand why they changed from the old chat room, which was actually useful during the game because it was much more fully featured. I wasn't aware of any complaints with it, except for the periodic trolls.

+1. The new chat room is really, really bad. I am not a fan at all. Why the switch?

(Note -- I've been a gametime chat room participant for years, since the Globe chat room days, and the change really bummed me out.

Ian is going to try and fix some of the problems before next week's game.

I like the idea of having to use you username/login from the main board, to filter the trolls.

I don't use the chat room. I don't even post on the game threads. It's too distracting from the game.

But, this will be resolved. It's pre-season. Coaches, players ,ref's, and message board admin's use the pre-season to work on things so there is a flawless regular season.:rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes