PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Charter Cable loses NFL Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Water Boy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Is anyone else affected by this? When I turn to the NFL channel the screen reads that the NFL channel is no longer offered due to poor viewer demand.

I have DirecTV but that message worries me, I hope the NFL Network gets enough ratings to stick around. What am I going to watch on a Wednesday night otherwise ? News ? :bricks:

Pats1 has been complaining about the same thing. I don't watch the NFL network all that much other then GOTW. They don't have a whole lot of content. It is basically two shows played every night repetitively.

kurtinelson said:
Is anyone else affected by this? When I turn to the NFL channel the screen reads that the NFL channel is no longer offered due to poor viewer demand.

This is not true, actually quite the opposite, the ratings are pretty good for NFL network so Charter is trying not to pay the price for the channel, and than they lie to their customers.

mgcolby said:
They don't have a whole lot of content. It is basically two shows played every night repetitively.
:confused:

Playbook. Coachspeak. NFL Total Access. Six Days to Sunday. GotW. In their Own Words. Sounds of the Game. Excellent stuff and lots of old historical stuff too.

Last edited:
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=27997&highlight=charter

I asked about NFL Network and she said Charter is trying to negotiate a price with them but there's a strong possibility it won't be back. The NFL Network charges very high costs to cable companies compared to other stations, and she claimed they are pricing out cable companies by charging fees that only DirecTV can afford because they pass the prices onto customers more than cable.

I asked them to log in a complaint that we want the station, she said to write to the NFL Network if we wanted them to negotiate a fair price with Charter:

NFL Network
12405 Powerscourt Dr
St. Louis, MO 63131
Corporate Customer Care
ATTN: Programming

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/timeline
Jan. '04: Signed first cable distribution deal with Charter Communications, the third largest cable operator in the country which reaches 25 of our 30 NFL team markets and 6.4 million homes.

Is Charter discontinuing it for all 25 of those regions?!?!?

I just talked to a rep throguh a support chat.

He didn't mention one thing about the "decline in demand" and said straight up that it was a contract renewal issue.

I stated that a phone rep last night told me (above) that we should complain to the NFL Network, but he thoroughly disagreed and said we should not be involved in contract discussions.

I also said that when there's a dispute like this, customers are left in the middle. The response, for whatever reason, was that he also is left in the middle.

The whole thing's a load of bull****. Downright.

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:
:confused:

Playbook. Coachspeak. NFL Total Access. Six Days to Sunday. GotW. In their Own Words. Sounds of the Game. Excellent stuff and lots of old historical stuff too.

Sounds of the Game is good, In their own words is decent. It is the delivery of the shows and those damn interview cameras they use are utterly annoying. I love GOTW that is by far the best show on the network. I don't think I have seen coach speak, I might have and just didn't know it. The old stuff gets alot of play on the ESPN channels so I have seen a lot of it before. I can do without total access and playbook. Total access has some decent interviews but as a whole I don't like the show. I find that I watch the channel much less then I thought I would. I was very excited when they launched it but I have been disapointed. It is essentially the ESPN Football network with less technology. Don't bash me for this post please.

I respect your enshrinement as the Remote God in your house as much as I would expect you to in mine. Just my 3 cents.

Or...

pats1 said:
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=27997&highlight=charter
I asked them to log in a complaint that we want the station, she said to write to the NFL Network if we wanted them to negotiate a fair price with Charter:
Or switch to satellite. I switched to Dish three years ago and I'm never going back. I get my locals and NFL plus a spectacular movie package in three rooms and a DVR for $80/mo.

It's never down and Dish owns everything ($5/mo of the $80) so I never worry about anything.

I do not believe that any serious NFL fan that cannot appreciate the channel. I find their content to be awesome. I enjoy everuy single show and I watch that channel every single day. I also watch ESPN and local stuff. Man, I have no life.

I live in WMass and have Charter unfortuneatly. Really liked the NFL Network, specially around draft time with their coverage of the combine. This really sucks time to get Direct TV or Satellite.

NOWAKJOE said:
I live in WMass and have Charter unfortuneatly. Really liked the NFL Network, specially around draft time with their coverage of the combine. This really sucks time to get Direct TV or Satellite.

Please express those feelings to Charter. Call them up and threaten to cancel.

I just turned on the TV again (the NFL Network is my start-up channel - still)

NFL Network Notice

The NFL Network will no longer be available.

The message has been shortened.

I should call Charter right now : "Hi, uh, I'd like to cancel my Digital Cable and move to the dish. The NFL Network was the sole reason for my purchase, besides the fact it's the only thing worthwhile watching on Digital Cable. You have lied to your customers about the "decline in demand," you have lied to your customers about the NFL and DirectTV, and you have given no discout or alternative for removing a channel. Your customers pay you to renew channel deals, not to scratch them.

In short, YOU SUCK.

Goodbye."

Last edited:
The politicos and the cable monopoly at work...

If you're a Patriots fan you should get Direct TV and the NFL package. And tell the cable company to .... Pound Sand!!

Incidently, if you are in Boston make sure you identify your zipcode as in Western Mass or CT. That way you won't suffer from the blackouts that happen with Sox, Celtics and Bruins games if you get the sports channel option as well a minimal cost package of sports specialty channels from around the country.

Direct TV will let you bill to one address, and "install" it at another for your "summer place" or for Junior at college. To prevent blackouts you need that longer distance zipcode.

Direct TV isn't too smart. They still force you to take the "local channnels" near where the zipcode is, and so you can't choose which local channels you'd like. I live in Phoenix and more than half the broadcast channels are now squeeling incessently in Spanish. And there is nothing you can do.

I'd take the Boston channnels if I could or even the national feeds, but once you select local channels your goose is cooked. There's no going back; so they say...some FCC folderol or other. (And I believe it. If they had the choice, I'm sure that's an option they could SELL. !)

Typical of getting more government than we want, or are willing to pay for, and can't even get rid of... Ah, marxist liberals at work, "helping " us!

NOWAKJOE said:

Good point about the Combine Coverage. The NFL channel is at its best during the off season. I don't really miss it right now, but I will come draft time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back