PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Charlie Whitehurst in the 5th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzPatsFan

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I watched a couple of the college all star games including the Senior bowl.

Off of what I saw, I thinkthe Patriots might draft Charlie Whitehurst, QB, if he lasts until the fifth round. He seems to have the size, and poise that they desire and he has some mobility, too.

Like Schaub before him, he doesn't have the "big, super arm", that the scouts seem to drool over, nor the magic running ability of a Michael Vick for them to swoon at either. (Neither of which insure a QB's ability to play). He merely has a good arm, good size, good mobility, and mobility within the pocket, (like Brady), POISE, and One other thing the scouts don't measure.

He is smart. He played this year as a Graduate Student working on his Master's Degree since he graduated with a year of football eligibility remaining.

Surely that's something the scout's don't give a damn about but Belichick sure does...

What do you think?

Personally I like Whitehurst and wouldn't have any problem with this pick, except for one thing. I think we would be better off with one young backup and one veteran backup. Cassell is far from the veteran. Drafting Whitehurst would leave us with a second-year 7th rounder and a rookie 4th or 5th rounder for backups. If our worst nightmares came true and #12 had to miss time, I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with just those two. I'd rather us go after a veteran backup.

The knock on Whitehurst is inconsistency, you never know which one is showing up, the pro-caliber player or the screwball pitcher with trifocals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes