PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Charlie "The Jerk" Weiss On 60 Minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
edgecy said:
Eh... I have a question, why do so many people take cheap shots at Charlie? :confused: The guy that was responsible for grooming our HOFer QB and here he's being compared to a phone book?

That's low by any standard.

I've never understood that either. NEM's personality disorder aside. Charlie and RAC had the kind of forceful and passionate personalities that allowed BB to remain focused on the big picture. Their presence was crucial to not only winning but changing the culture here.

In his first stint with the team under Parcells he was first the TE's coach who developed Coates into a Pro Bowler, then the RB's coach who lobbied for Martin and developed him into a Pro Bowler and then the WR's coach who coaxed a thousand yard season out of a rookie WR Parcell's referred to as She.

The story behind his bond with Tommy is pretty special. It was the 2002 off season and most of the staff was out of town. He was the first one to the hospital when the news broke that Charlie's surgery had gone very wrong and he was in a coma fighting for his life and had received last rites. Remained there with Charlie's wife until he began to rally and come out of it two weeks later. The lingering effects of the ordeal included nerve damage effecting his legs - at the time they didn't know if he would walk again and he now has a permanent limp. He returned to coaching in a wheel chair that fall and was instrumental in our winning two more superbowls back to back.

Many opined that Charlie went through all of this to land a HC job. Actually as a father of two including a child with severe diability, he did it in hopes he would live longer than his own father who died in his mid fifties and from whom Charlie inherited a lifelong weight problem. Charlie turned 50 this year.

So the bashing as well as the assinine weight jokes are beneath low. I assume it comes from bandwaggon fans who missed the early years stories because they weren't all that enamored of the team before it became a dynasty. And those easily influenced by jealous, loudmouth, know-it-all coaching wannabe's like NEM.

Thank you MoLewisrocks very, very well said.

Sporin said:
I wish he hadn't pulled his punches with NEM though. A good read otherwise.

Sporin said:

Could not agree more, not sure how the negativity started, but have always liked Charlie and his work. When history is written about this team, there will be quite a bit said about his contribution.. particularly about Brady. BTW wonder if there is much about Weiss & Tom in "Moving the Chains", which will be released tommorrow.

One interesting factoid I heard on the radio broadcast of the game--Weis has essentially no fear of going for it on fourth down: ND has tried it 20 times this season, and converted 80% of the time.

MoLewisrocks said:
So the bashing as well as the assinine weight jokes are beneath low. I assume it comes from bandwaggon fans who missed the early years stories because they weren't all that enamored of the team before it became a dynasty. And those easily influenced by jealous, loudmouth, know-it-all coaching wannabe's like NEM.

You go, girl !

R

It always seemed to me that Weis was the perfect offensive complement to BB -- willing to try anything and mix in any kind of play or formation, and coaching up the guys to being able to deal with it.

But then, while NEM alone can generate a lot of noise, I don't recall all that many other fans taking the idiot-hate approach. Oh, ever team will have some jerks who blast the play-callers, in every sport, deserved or not. But I think the online fanbase as a whole has had a decent appreciation of Weis.

Fencer said:
It always seemed to me that Weis was the perfect offensive complement to BB -- willing to try anything and mix in any kind of play or formation, and coaching up the guys to being able to deal with it.

But then, while NEM alone can generate a lot of noise, I don't recall all that many other fans taking the idiot-hate approach. Oh, ever team will have some jerks who blast the play-callers, in every sport, deserved or not. But I think the online fanbase as a whole has had a decent appreciation of Weis.

Then you haven't been in the chat room - then or now. The Pats dare to run two running plays in a row and those morons freak out about replacing the OC. Gadget play doesn't work, and they want to hang him in effigy.

As for the treatment of Weiss, as I recall, back in those days, there were whole 15+ pages threads dedicated to playcalling on this board.

R

I like Charlie but I was disappointed to hear his whining about his poll and BCS position. If he wants a higher rating his team needs to play better. Quit whining Charlie, its not becoming.

Michigan Dave said:
He'll get his share. But ND is not on TV any more than the other top programs. The NBC deal covers their home games, which is huge, but they aren't even the most televised program in CFB history.

You're spinning here. The difference between ND's access to TV and let's say a program like Michigan is NBC broadcasts to the entire nation while ABC usually goes with regional coverage. Here in Texas we hardly ever get to see Michigan and I'm sure its the same for the SEC country, as well as the West. Michigan's only game on ABC that the entire nation will see is OSU-MICH. Even for low key games like ND-Stanford or ND-Navy, guess what, the whole country can watch it if they'd like. Michigan meanwhile probably won't even be on ABC when they play Northern Illinois or similar programs. Yes Michigan are on ESPN a lot but it's still cable and ND are usually on ABC or ESPN for basically every road game.

Seymour93 said:
You're spinning here. The difference between ND's access to TV and let's say a program like Michigan is NBC broadcasts to the entire nation while ABC usually goes with regional coverage. Here in Texas we hardly ever get to see Michigan and I'm sure its the same for the SEC country, as well as the West. Michigan's only game on ABC that the entire nation will see is OSU-MICH. Even for low key games like ND-Stanford or ND-Navy, guess what, the whole country can watch it if they'd like. Michigan meanwhile probably won't even be on ABC when they play Northern Illinois or similar programs. Yes Michigan are on ESPN a lot but it's still cable and ND are usually on ABC or ESPN for basically every road game.

True, it's national coverage, but it's not a huge recruiting advantage as one may think. These days ESPN/ESPN2 are just as national as NBC, since very few people don't have cable. While NBC is a guaranteed national audience, the fact of the matter is that recruits are watching the big games, and not ND/Army, etc. ND and Michigan are really the only true "national" recruiting schools (due mainly to the fact that Michigan has poor in-state talent), and the TV thing isn't the huge advantage that people think it is. A lot of Michigan fans flip out over ND's NBC deal, and it really has a minimal influence in today's game. Granted when I was involved in the college game, ND was down quite a bit, I still talk to plenty of players who really don't think of it as a huge deal. The bottom line is that if you want to get noticed, you'll get noticed at any top notch school. Michigan is the most televised program in history, and also has the longest streak of being on television in the nation. The NBC deal provides ND with money, which is the biggest advantage they have from it. The recruiting advantage Ohio State and Texas got from their game, and Michigan and Ohio State will get from that game is greater than any game on the ND schedule this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back