PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Charley Casserley On Alabama Safety Mark Barron - 'Worth A Top Ten Pick'

Status
Not open for further replies.
What value? The value of having TWO picks, rather than ONE. Especially when there's a strong likelihood that one of those picks (27, 31) will probably be traded down for yet another free pick, and another 1st rounder next yr. That's one of the ways that Belichick continues to put this team in position to win not only now, but also in the future too.

You may agree or disagree, but at this point is seems pretty apparent that Belichick tends to see value in physically taking more players, thus increasing his odds at hitting on decent draft talent. It's particularly brilliant when you have several rebuilding needs all at once, as we did in the yrs of 2009-2010, when the front office took 24 picks in those two years. One could debate back and forth whether or not there is still any type of rebuilding phase going on at defense right now.

You may not agree with the 'front 7' mentality, but there are more holes at DT, DE, and OLB than there are at safety...especially if Belichick is planning on using one of Gregory, Moore, Allen, or McCourty (at times in subs) and/or drafting someone in the first 3-4 rounds. The safety position can be addressed much easier than the building of all 3 of those front seven positions that I listed.

It seems as though you really like Mark Barron, and although I don't necesarily agree due to the fact that he's the 'best' in a terribly weak draft class, you may very well be right. Maybe he is one of the high impact players of the draft, I am not questioning your talent assessments.

I do believe that Belichick would not trade 2 of our higher draft picks for the opportunity to draft Mark Barron, but of course that is just my opinion.

I take your point on having extra picks, particularly in respect of being able to trade them forward but as I see it, ultimately the draft is about putting together the best team possible, not about accumulating picks. Now BB has taken the view that trading forward is the best way to improve the team and I normally agree with this approach but there are times when that perfect player comes along and I see Barron in that way. and i'm not just talking about ability here. It's his intangibles that won me over. He directs the Alabama secondary and Nick Saban gave him the responsibility to do that which speaks volumes as far as I'm concerned. BB likes smart players and I believe Barron is the ideal BB guy.

Hopefully Curran and I are right but we shall see on the day. I think it's unlikely we'll trade up that far for him but I shall keep my fingers crossed nevertheless. One thing I'm sure of. If he is the pick, he'll win you round.

My final take on Barron before the draft. Best film of any safety in this draft,bar none. His run support is very good, his tackling is sure. He covers a lot of space for someone his size,not with his speed but with his instincts and angles. Some of his interceptions are off the charts athletic.

I don't see him as a free safety though. I see him as eventually taking over Chung's spot if drafted. My plan if drafted would be to see Barron for 2012 and then a true free safety like Lester, McDonald or whoever else emerges in 2013. I could also envision a double up this year of Barron and Trumaine Johnson which would make my day.

I'm open to a small trade up but not a large one like some have suggested. I see his value from 22 -27. 15 is just flat out insane and I would be upset because when it comes down to it, he is still a safety and a prospect. I want to keep the other first rounder or get nice value for it if traded.

My final take on Barron before the draft. Best film of any safety in this draft,bar none. His run support is very good, his tackling is sure. He covers a lot of space for someone his size,not with his speed but with his instincts and angles. Some of his interceptions are off the charts athletic.

I don't see him as a free safety though. I see him as eventually taking over Chung's spot if drafted. My plan if drafted would be to see Barron for 2012 and then a true free safety like Lester, McDonald or whoever else emerges in 2013. I could also envision a double up this year of Barron and Trumaine Johnson which would make my day.

I'm open to a small trade up but not a large one like some have suggested. I see his value from 22 -27. 15 is just flat out insane and I would be upset because when it comes down to it, he is still a safety and a prospect. I want to keep the other first rounder or get nice value for it if traded.

That sums up my opinion as well. Even Smith is more of a SS so while I think the Pats will draft a safety in the first 2 rounds it probably won't be those to guys. Unless of course BB thinks they can play both positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes