Welcome to PatsFans.com

Charles Whitman - If it Happened Today

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Dec 20, 2012.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +596 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

If this happened today ... what would we be blaming or would his case make a bit more sense from the man just snapped point of view - total irrational behavior.

Father was abusive - parents demanded exceptional everything from Charles - he had an IQ of 172.

too much to copy and paste ... one really has to read the entire entry.

Charles Whitman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +283 / 4 / -9

the news would bang on it for a week........then everyone would be talking about justin bieber again
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +190 / 7 / -23

I remember it well, it was the first incident of that magnitude that comes to memory..

Not sure how long it lasted, but it did not go right away.. at that time there was only news twice a day.. morning paper and evening newscast.. there was no talk radio..no five minute cycling. Things were different..
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  4. Hamar

Hamar Rookie

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -1

The good old days when the news did not put out wrong information every 10 minutes and so confuse and muddle what really happened so that it took weeks to get to the real story.

And now-a-days not only do they put out misinformation but depending on the network it is also politically motivated, sad.
  5. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Not that you're necessarily wrong on that last part... But, can you cite an example? ...
  6. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Posting a picture of Adam Lanza's brother and claiming he was the shooter immediately after the shooting.....
  7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +193 / 3 / -10

My heart is no longer heavy over the Newtown incident. I don't think it's wise to allow such tragedies to bring us down for long periods...at least that's what I believe.

So I'm not walking/sitting around trying to figure anything out any longer.
  8. Hebeill

Hebeill Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It wouldn't be as widely covered as 20 first graders being systematically slaughtered. Which brings me to something i wanted to post last week. IMO ALL media is culpable, it back backhandedly glorifies these tragedies. If you want to be famous or infamous all you have to do is kill enough people and your name will be plastered all over tv, the net, radio, newspapers, and magazines. Last sat. i went to CNN and read a headline "Horrific new details" ''read more",this was a tragedy, its not reality TV, twenty kids weren't slaughtered for our entertainment, or to make money. These are copy cat crimes, people just don't come up with the idea of killing dozens of people all on their own. Maybe once like whitman, but after that its just to common for individuals to come up with the same thing repeatedly. I remember in the early sixties someone hijacked a plane to Cuba, it was a big story on the nightly news. A few weeks or months later someone else did the same thing, pretty soon it was a common occurance until Cuba started sending the hijackers back to the US.Like those hijackings these shootings need to down played, by that i mean the constant minute to minute coverage sensationalizing a crime.
  9. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What is your definition of "misinformation" then?

Seems more like an over-eager mistake than purposeful deceit.
  10. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Misinformation are mistakes made without ensuring that the facts are correct. When you post a picture and name a person who you accuse of murdering 27 people, you have an obligation to be correct before you report it or don't report it....
    Misinformation is also when press has an agenda, like NBC doctoring car crashes, Duke Lacrosse case or Richard Jewell the wrongfully accused Olympic bomber.