Welcome to PatsFans.com

Charitable giving

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +569 / 22 / -19

While charitable giving is important regardless of what services the government provides, we should always investigate the charities we're giving to. The return on the contribution is in many cases far less than the return on contribution we make in the form of tax dollars. (And the dollar amount of contributions to charities I suspect is far less than the dollar amount from tax dollars, as well.)

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2007/11/failing-to-serv.html

In the last two years, generous Americans answering appeals to help wounded and paralyzed veterans have given more than $464 million to charities that have been given an F in a new report card from a leading charity watchdog group.

Those failing charities include the National Veterans Services Fund, of Darien, Conn., which took in more than $6 million in contributions last year supposedly to help veterans' families. It got a report grade of F from the American Institute of Philanthropy, which says the charity gave out only two percent of its money for charity.

Of the 27 military and veterans' charities reviewed by Borochoff's group, 13 were rated F, including the Amvets National Service Foundation, the Army Emergency Relief Fund, Freedom Alliance, the National Veterans Services Fund, the Military Order of the Purple Heart Services Foundation and the Paralyzed Veterans of America.

But according to their analysis, the American Institute of Philanthropy says of the $70 million Help Hospitalized Veterans took in last year, only 31 percent went to the actual charitable cause. The rest was mainly overhead and fundraising costs, meaning a grade of F.

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,123 / 3 / -10

Give To The Salvation Army:

The rest of them are all "Big Business" with slimey crooked CEO's the Red Cross is the worst.
    :bricks:

3. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Patters, are you saying the US Government will do a better job managing all that money?

Personally I contribute to one big charities and some local ones. The big one is perhaps what I consider to be the most important one, the Dana Farber Institute in Boston. If anyone has ever seen what those people do with those kids, it cant possibly not touch your heart.

4. Patters

Ratings:
    +569 / 22 / -19

No, I'm not saying that, but given the fact that many businesses are dishonest, and they are not subject to the scrutiny that government is subject to, I really don't think the government does a worse job. They all do roughly the same job.

5. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Unfortunately that "same job" is what I would label "crappy." :mad:

6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

This is Patters' way of showing us how wonderful government forced charity is. See, there were some bad charities out there, so we should let the government do it. :rolleyes: The beauty of a failing charity is that once exposed, those people who chose to donate their own money, can give it to another who's results were much, much better. When the government robs you at gunpoint, and pisses it down the toilet, there is no option that permits you to give that money to somebody else.

7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

We're all indirectly forced into charitable giving due to the tax deductability. I am against that. Make everything taxable and lower basic tax rates so we'd all have more money to do with as we wish. First to go should be church donations. Why the government indirectly forces me to give to churches is beyond me.

8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +816 / 26 / -33

Habitat for Humanity, where I work, is pretty good..

9. Patters

Ratings:
    +569 / 22 / -19

I could be persuaded to have the government do less if private corporations were subject to the same kind of scrutiny that public ones are. For good reason, though, that's not the case because private corporations don't want to reveal their workings for competitive reasons.

10. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

11. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

I was disapointed, my favorite charity, Bat Conservation International, only got a B+ :)