Welcome to PatsFans.com

Charging for Internet content?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patsfanin Philly, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +221 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Edit- I missed this on the main page. Mods feel free to delete or merge......

With Rupert Murdoch’s NewsCorp planning to charge for Internet news (e.g. foxnews.com) and the Boston Globe planning the same at the other end of the political spectrum, I’m sure the thought has crossed our minds as well if the sites we take for granted will charge like ATMs did . They were free in the beginning and once they sucked us in, they charged

Sign me up when the time comes. This site and maybe one or two others (profootballtalk.com and realclearpolitics.com) are the only ones worth paying for…………And I’m sure many others feel that way……
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Globe says readers to pay for Web site - BostonHerald.com

Globe says readers to pay for Web site

By Christine McConville
    Friday, August 7, 2009 - Updated 7h ago

!
    The Boston Globe will soon begin charging for its Web site, publisher P. Steven Ainsley told the paper’s union bosses yesterday as the Globe’s parent New York Times [NYT] Co. confirmed in a regulatory filing that the money-losing Hub broadsheet is for sale.
    News of the Globe’s intention to charge for Boston.com came a day after News Corp. [NWS] Chairman Rupert Murdoch announced his company would start charging for content at all of its news Web sites, including the New York Post, The Times of London and The Sun, a popular British tabloid. News Corp. already charges for some access to The Wall Street Journal’s Web site.
    Globe spokesman Bob Powers said charging for Boston.com appears inevitable.

News Corp tests charge-for-content policy at Sunday Times: report
    [/IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +569 / 22 / -19

I think it's an interesting and complex issue. The fact is that newspapers provide vastly more info than any other media. I've said this before, but I think it's important: People read at least 3x as fast as they hear. Consider further that tv is filled with fluff, and its clear that 10 minutes with a newspaper exceeds 30 minutes of tv news in terms of amount of information.

Also consider that local newspapers, whether the Herald or the Globe, are the only real checks on state and local government. Whatever one may think of the Globe, the fact is they've uncovered a slew of pension, spending, and other problems that Patrick and his successors were forced to address. And I'm sure the Herald has a good track record in this regard, too.

3. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They will see a backlash...just another step down the wrong direction for them.

4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +816 / 27 / -33

This has been coming for a while, some of the newspapers will give you a tease.. and then when you try to open a link it tells you that it is reserved for premium subscribers..

5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I ain't gunna pay for it....

they will lose clicks, and ad revenue will go down. meaning the priice to the consumer will go up.

WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE?????

Why aren't there protesters at the globe shouting and causing a disruption about this?

6. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Funny thing is the bulk of the news there...AP stories. They have the blogs and their daily and weekly articles and columns but the bulk of their new news and breaking news is AP stories that you can get anywhere else for no charge.

7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

so true...but I think MOST go to the globe fo rthe local slant, especially the sports section.

too bad.