PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chargers take Oliver, Ravens choose Gaither

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainefan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
NEW YORK (AP) -- The San Diego Chargers selected Paul Oliver and the Baltimore Ravens chose Jared Gaither in the supplemental draft on Thursday.

Oliver, a Georgia cornerback, was picked 28th in the fourth round. The Ravens selected Gaither, a Maryland tackle, 31st in the fifth round. It marks the first time since 1998 that two players were taken in the supplemental draft.

Oliver was among Georgia's leaders with 57 tackles last season. Gaither started in 17 of Maryland's last 21 games. With the selections, San Diego and Baltimore will forgo the corresponding picks in the 2008 draft.

I've heard Oliver is kinda slow, but I wonder if we were trying to get him in the fifth round or later.

Two of our biggest rivals picked up good players --- hopefully not too good --- for good prices.

Two of our biggest rivals picked up good players --- hopefully not too good --- for good prices.

The Ravens are a rival? Did they find a QB when I was on vacation?

Given that we passed on them for 3 and 4 rounds respectively I don't think Belioli is all that concerned about it.

He, Oliver sounded like a good prospect,but I figured we wouldn't take him. When was the last time Beolie picked in the supplamental draft....J Cherry ?

He, Oliver sounded like a good prospect,but I figured we wouldn't take him. When was the last time Beolie picked in the supplamental draft....J Cherry ?
Cherry was before Belioli . . . the answer is never.

I thought that Oliver was a pretty good deal for a 4th round pick.

Lacking the superior insight of team Belioli, I would be trying to trade Asante for a 1st. Picking up an extra CB with starting potential would help mitigate the loss. (We lose at least two secondary starters to injury each year, right?).

Still, in BB I trust.

(Does anyone know if we picked ahead of the Chargers? I'm under the impression that all 12 playoff teams from last year are assigned supplementary draft spots based on a lottery)

Any of the supp. players that don't get selected become UDFA. San Fran signed that Washington kid, does anyone know if Chris patrick got signed by anyone? Patriots showed some interest, I believe???

Cherry was before Belioli . . . the answer is never.

The WEEI folks were making a big deal of this: "forget the supp draft, Belichick never does that, look at the past." But how many teams have used a supplemental draft pick since 2000? Only a small fraction, surely. It's simply rare across the board, there's no way to read a Pats-specific trend -- especially since we have no idea whether BB/SP have ever offered a pick but been outbid. But just to contradict myself, many of the players in the supplemental draft are "damaged goods" in precisely the ways the Pats tend to avoid...work ethic problems, conflicts with coaches, etc. So maybe there is a trend. There, was that nice and decisive of me? :)

BTW anybody been able to find out what the draft order was today?

The WEEI folks were making a big deal of this: "forget the supp draft, Belichick never does that, look at the past." But how many teams have used a supplemental draft pick since 2000? Only a small fraction, surely.
Yeah, I don't think it's much of a point, the number of supplemental draft picks is statistically insignificant when trying to establish an organizational trend.

Any of the supp. players that don't get selected become UDFA. San Fran signed that Washington kid, does anyone know if Chris patrick got signed by anyone? Patriots showed some interest, I believe???

Nothing yet...
from draftdaddy.com blog:

University of Nebraska lineman Chris Patrick hoping to catch on with a team after not being picked in the Supplemental draft.

DD.Comment: The article mentions 3 unidentified teams have set up work outs with Patrick....A reliable source we know claims both New York teams -- the Jets & Giants -- head the list of teams interested in him.

Given that we passed on them for 3 and 4 rounds respectively I don't think Belioli is all that concerned about it.

Not necessarily true. We may have put in a 4th round bid as well, but the Chargers pick was before ours so they got him. Weird how the supplemental draft order is different from the 2007 draft order. In the '07 draft, we were 28 and San Diego was 30. In the supplemental, San Diego got 28 and we got shifted down to 29.

The Ravens are a rival? Did they find a QB when I was on vacation?

Yes, if you spent the whole 2006 season on vacation. This QB led them to a better record, better division record, better conference record, and better point differential than the Patriots. And in the offseason, the Ravens have added a very good RB and drafted some O-line talent (which will hopefully take a year or two to develop). ESPN rates their WRs top-10 in the NFL, plus they have Heap at TE. And the defense we know about. They could be our biggest rival this year on paper, and we play them in December.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back