PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chargers sign UFA ILB Kevin Burnett

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledTunaFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
*Ouch* This is going to hurt our pass D-especially in the middle of the field!

Pt being that the Chargers' pass D, especially in their weakness middle of the field, has gotten a big improvement. Burnett was our best coverage LB...he will provide the same to the Chargers unit.

Chargers.com - News Headlines LB Burnett agrees to two-year deal

With one move, the Chargers strengthened their defense and special teams Tuesday as linebacker Kevin Burnett, who spent the first four seasons of his NFL career with the Dallas Cowboys, agreed to terms on a two-year contract with San Diego.

“We’re excited to have the opportunity to add an outstanding football player to our team,” General Manager A.J. Smith said. “Kevin has excelled in the kicking game throughout his career and has experience in a defensive system that is very similar to ours. We’re glad to have him aboard.”

Burnett (6-3, 242) met with Chargers officials last Wednesday and Thursday after visiting the Oakland Raiders earlier in the week. He also spent time in Houston over the weekend and was reportedly courted by the Green Bay Packers before he decided to come to San Diego. His conversations with Head Coach Norv Turner and Defensive Coordinator Ron Rivera helped convince him to don the Lightning Bolts.

“(Norv and I) sat down and talked about football and talked about how he runs things,” Burnett said. “I felt like we had a great conversation and San Diego was the best fit for me. Coach Rivera is a great coach as well. He took the time to explain things to me. We had great chemistry as far as a feel for what he was calling and why he was calling it. I can’t ask for a better situation.”

The past two seasons he’s played under former San Diego Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips, and the Chargers run a 3-4 defense similar to the one Phillips installed during his time with the Bolts and currently directs with the Cowboys.

“It’s very, very similar,” Burnett said. “It’s a lot of the same calls. Obviously people do things different from team to team, but it should be a pretty easy transition.”

Burnett tallied 38 tackles and two sacks in 2008, and his 19 special teams tackles were the second most on the squad. He also finished second on the team in special teams tackles in 2006 and tied for third in 2007. While Burnett hopes his move to San Diego gives him a chance to get more involved on defense, he’s also open to a role in the kicking game.

“If that’s what I’m called to do, that’s what I’ll go out there and do,” Burnett said.

Burnett grew up in the Los Angeles area and attended high school in Compton. He was a two-time All-Southeastern Conference performer at the University of Tennessee before the Cowboys drafted him in the second round in 2005. The opportunity to get within driving distance of his family was also a key factor in his signing with the Chargers.

“I’m close to my mother and my grandparents, everybody that I grew up around gets a chance to see me play in person,” Burnett said. “It’s a great situation and I’m happy to be a Charger.”

Linebacker Kevin Burnett (57) is the newest member of the Chargers organization.

So he made 19 tackles on defense for the whole year?

Like I was eluding too-his PASS DEFENSE is very valuable. He may not show it in the stats, but on passing downs in particular, he would come in and do a very good job. While Wade's schemes were completely different from Parcells', both utilized Burnett the same way.

With that being said, the Chargers pass D has gotten a nice improvement, assuming the Chargers coaches utilize him like we did.

and what effect does this have on our beloved patriots

and what effect does this have on our beloved patriots

Aren't the Chargers one of the Pats fiercest AFC rivals? Pt being that I'm surprised numerous Chargers news haven't been posted here this offseason, at least compared to previous years.

Last edited:
Like I was eluding too-his PASS DEFENSE is very valuable. He may not show it in the stats, but on passing downs in particular, he would come in and do a very good job. While Wade's schemes were completely different from Parcells', both utilized Burnett the same way.

With that being said, the Chargers pass D has gotten a nice improvement, assuming the Chargers coaches utilize him like we did.

I guess we'll have to take your word for it, then.

Aren't the Chargers one of the Pats fiercest AFC rivals? Pt being that I'm surprised numerous Chargers news haven't been posted here this offseason, at least compared to previous years.

Well, for better or worse, the Pats play the Donkeys this year, not the SuperClassers. :p

Thanks for the info. Yes, we would prefer to see the Chargers roster weakened, not strengthened. Even if they're not on the schedule they're considered to be one of the Pats biggest rivals, and are a team the Pats could see in the playoffs.

So in essence, the two teams made a trade: Olshansky for Burnett.

LT is staying with the Chargers, and I thought about posting that here, but then I was like, why would Pats fans care? And here I find a whole thread about Burnett posted by a Cowboys fan? LOL.

LT is staying with the Chargers, and I thought about posting that here, but then I was like, why would Pats fans care? And here I find a whole thread about Burnett posted by a Cowboys fan? LOL.

Pats fans are football fans, some of them might say they don't care, but they do, because it's football news.

The original post said 19 tackles on special teams. Does the 38 tackle number inlcude special teams tackles?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back