PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chargers/Patriots...

Status
Not open for further replies.
That kind of stuff really p*sses me off. I had some friends that went to the World Series when the Padres played the Yankees. People did all kinds of stuff to them including smearing mustard on their seats and pouring beer on them. Pretty pathetic, there's no place for that kind of crap.

I went to the Chargers Pats game last year and I heard horror stories of how the Patriots Fans were treated but I had no problems and actually had a really nice Chargers fan sit behind me. The guy got into it with me in friendly fashion pregame and than after the game instead of giving me more of it he just said good luck and something to the effect that the game wasn't the same without Brady.

I lived in SD for about 8 years, and they are generally some of the nicest fans to those rooting against their team. They'll get into it with you, but I always had good experiences.

I also rooted for the Chargers once, when they played the Raiders in SD and my wife got free tickets from Children's Hospital.

SD is legit. They throw the ball well, they run the ball well, they get after the passer, and are sound on ST's. If they don't play the Pats, they will cruise to Miami. I say this because there isn't a squad in football that matches them up like the Pats do.

Defensively, the patriots present problems for SD. Bodden is a dream matchup against the x (Jackson). He's tough enough to play Jackson's game better than him. They'll take away Gates, Bodden will remove Jackson, and SD will be offf their game. The alleged resurgance of quitter Tomlinson is due to coverage. Teams are gameplanning against Rivers, and Tomlinson is reaping the statistical rewards. Good luck doing work against the NE D-Line.

Offensively, they gotta drop it like it's hot. That scrub 34 they play leaves a lot of opportunity for the slots. Welker should see doubles, Edelman should exploit LB mismatches. Moss should be there on the inside stuff in order to get the big play. If Watson shows up, it will get ugly as the SS creeps on Welker. The pass will set up the run. Taylor should have a big game exploiting that upfield game with his veteran vision and ankle snapping cutting.

Out of all AFC teams, SD concerns me the least for this team. It's a matchup and exploition game. The Pats have demonstrated the ability to outcoach SD when they didn't matchup. Now that they do, it's a certain W for the Pats.

SD is legit. They throw the ball well, they run the ball well, they get after the passer, and are sound on ST's. If they don't play the Pats, they will cruise to Miami. I say this because there isn't a squad in football that matches them up like the Pats do.

Defensively, the patriots present problems for SD. Bodden is a dream matchup against the x (Jackson). He's tough enough to play Jackson's game better than him. They'll take away Gates, Bodden will remove Jackson, and SD will be offf their game. The alleged resurgance of quitter Tomlinson is due to coverage. Teams are gameplanning against Rivers, and Tomlinson is reaping the statistical rewards. Good luck doing work against the NE D-Line.

Offensively, they gotta drop it like it's hot. That scrub 34 they play leaves a lot of opportunity for the slots. Welker should see doubles, Edelman should exploit LB mismatches. Moss should be there on the inside stuff in order to get the big play. If Watson shows up, it will get ugly as the SS creeps on Welker. The pass will set up the run. Taylor should have a big game exploiting that upfield game with his veteran vision and ankle snapping cutting.

Out of all AFC teams, SD concerns me the least for this team. It's a matchup and exploition game. The Pats have demonstrated the ability to outcoach SD when they didn't matchup. Now that they do, it's a certain W for the Pats.

That's a pretty optimistic view, and I hope you're right, as you often are.

If we match up as well as you feel, then I'd imagine BB will certainly feel the same way, and would think he'd prefer to go to SD, and therefore want the #3 seed--which would also mean they'll play HOU as well as possible.

I often appreciate your intricate views on playcalling, schemes, etc, and feel somewhat better about a tough SD team now.

Looking at the game cautiously, I see a tougher matchup for our CB's, as Jackson, Floyd, and Gates are all 6'4"/6'5". Even Nanee is tall at 6'2". I also see SD's secondary potentially posing certain problems with Cromartie and Jammer, who are formidable at the least. Do either of these matchups concern you as much as they do me?

That being said, Sproles is going to give us nightmares because we have difficulty sealing the edges on the smaller/faster RB hybrids, and if he gets loose up the sidelines it makes for a lot of problems especially if the kick out block gets there early. Like MJD he is small, fast, low center of gravity, hard to tackle. However SD are not the Jaguars, they have multiple options out of the X and Y and cover the flats well, so I see the NE defense quickly stretched if they ever choose to play on their heels.

Last edited:
If we match up as well as you feel, then I'd imagine BB will certainly feel the same way, and would think he'd prefer to go to SD, and therefore want the #3 seed--which would also mean they'll play HOU as well as possible.
We really do need to try to get that, if we were to beat SD all it takes is for a Cincy upset at Indy and we'd be hosting the AFCCG.

Regarding SD, Tomlinson is averaging 3.3 YPC, imagine if Maroney were averaging that; and Tomlinson has only averaged over 3.7 YPC in three games all season.

How did SD fans treat you? I remember the week before that game. There was an Italian fair here in SD I went to and there were a lot of Patriot fans walking around in Patriot gear (some in retro, very cool). I was wearing Charger gear and got in a few conversations with Pat fans. Very nice and knowledgeable. Hope your experience was a good one.

I attended that game as well. Fans were very mouthy but for the most part didn't cross any lines. They were calling us "Chowds" which we got a kick out of; they also kept telling us that the Patriots were through, a team of the past and that the Chargers were the future. :rolleyes:

So some good natured back and forth for the most part. And then...

A group of about 12 guys of Mexican descent approached us and the ring leader got in my brother's face and said "F*** you, white boy" completely unprovoked. Now my brother is 6'3" and pretty jacked (not to mention an Iraq infantry vet) but we were outnumbered so he said "Hey man, we don't want any trouble. We're just here to watch football". They then threatened to shoot us. Eventually it seemed like they decided to leave us alone until all of a sudden the ring leader was like, "The next time one of you goes to take a piss, we're gonna knock over the porto-potty". What they really ended up doing was running by the porto-potty when we got in and jump kicking it, while my friends and I tried to block them.

So there were a couple a-holes but for the most part people were just semi-respectfully smack talking. All that said, I've also been to Heinz Field and Ralph Wilson stadium and the Bills fans were by far the nuttiest. That story about the Bills fan defacing McKelvin's lawn after the fumble in the season opener doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Last edited:
1.) Brady's inconsistent play, and Moss' as well

2.) Lack of a WR3

3.) Mankins/Koppen against a strong push up the middle

4.) Neal's health

5.) Lack of a fullback

6.) Questionable game planning and play calling on offense

7.) Poor usage of the running backs

8.) D-line play against good opponents

9.) Inability to get consistent pressure against decent offenses

10.) Guyton against the run

11.) CB play when left in single coverage

12.) Inconsistent safety play prior to the re-insertion of Sanders as starter

All of which can be fixed or overcome, as long as item #1 becomes a non-issue
That's a fair summation of the core issues the Patriots have had this season Deus.

As for the Chargers, they are playing some very good ball at the moment, but like the Colts, I have absolutely zero fear playing them, as they are imminently beatably every time the Patriots take the turf.

I predict it's going to be Chargers/Patriots in the divisional round of the playoffs...again. Looks like NE will be #3 seed and they won't lose in the Wild Card round. Good luck and lets hope both teams get there healthy. The Pats are looking pretty dang good right now.
the way i see it

pats beat ravens to go to sd, bengals beat jets to go to indy

i think i'm probably the only person on earth outside of the bengals fanbase who thinks cincy has a decent shot at beating indy (bengals have good cbs and a good running game)

so if my chargers can't take care of business, which i fully expect them to be able to take care of business, but if the unthinkable for me happens, it would be cincy at NE in the afccg

but we're getting ahead of ourselves, could be sd at indy, could be cin at sd, who knows....

the playoffs is crazy!

Why all the hoopla over San Diego? They have question marks on D - they can't cover TEs, their pass rush is kinda mediocre, and for that matter too, they're missing like 3 OL.

I know they've been playing well, but this could hurt them when they play big boys competition in the playoffs.
ugh your pass D looked alot worse than ours at times this year, and your pass rush is worse than ours

so that logic kinda applies to NE as well

but NE can't win on the road this year....that is a head scratcher

brady on the road is 11 tds and 9 ints, at home 17/3

and brady's actually having one of his best years ever , his best if you take out 07

but on the road....yikes

Actually I think you may be right. Funny though, at the time mediots were saying it would be tough on the Chargers because those team's backs were against the wall. Whatever, the Chargers beat the teams they played. Most they handled pretty easily, including the close game against the Bengals.
you know teams are 9-1 after they play us this year (not counting the afc west who we demoralize lol)

The San Diego Chagers are a better team than the New England Patriots at this point in time

Thier record is better,they have been more consistent and have beaten a team twice that we lost to,the Broncos

Injuries or not the Chargers have won 10 in a row and are far more consistent than this years Patriots after a rough start.

Its if or when the SDC play the NEP whoever plays better that day will win but lets get real about who is better right now an put the homer glasses off for a minute.
we only beat denver once

we lost to denver by 11 in sd, and beat them by 29 in denver

our 3 losses this season were by 26 points total

in the past 2 seasons we've lost 11 games by a total of 60 points

that's insane

we're in every game at the least, we just don't get blown out, i think that's a testament to rivers, and norv's play calling

even if i wasn't a chargers fan, i'd want to see norv get that ring just to get everyone off his back

They barely beat cincy, nyg, philly, dallas...lost to denver, pitt, balt...

they are really no different than this patriots team. I think the patriots are better than all those teams they barely beat -- cincy, nyg, philly, dallas -- and so that gives New England a great chance to beat them.

I don't think any team is above another team, which is why the pats have as good of a shot as they did in 01 and 03 to win it all.
again....you're 2-5 on the road

the game won't be played in NE

you barely beat the buffalo bills twice......

you lost to the jesters

you're 2-4 vs playoff teams assuming the ravens make it in

we're 4-2 vs playoff teams assuming the ravens make it in

you lost to the fn jets ...... did i already say that?

but all that aside, NE's always dangerous sure, i don't get the chest thumping though from a 2-5 road team, especially after what happened to you in new orleans

again....you're 2-5 on the road

the game won't be played in NE

you barely beat the buffalo bills twice......

you lost to the jesters

you're 2-4 vs playoff teams assuming the ravens make it in

we're 4-2 vs playoff teams assuming the ravens make it in

you lost to the fn jets ...... did i already say that?

but all that aside, NE's always dangerous sure, i don't get the chest thumping though from a 2-5 road team, especially after what happened to you in new orleans
"as good of a shot as they did" is chest thumping?

"as good of a shot as they did" is chest thumping?
yeah it seems like there is some chest thumping knowing you're going to need to go on the road for at least one game, and you're 2-5 on the road

i saw alot of this in 07 but at that time you guys were awesome, seeing it now i don't get it , especially looking at that road record

yeah it seems like there is some chest thumping knowing you're going to need to go on the road for at least one game, and you're 2-5 on the road

i saw alot of this in 07 but at that time you guys were awesome, seeing it now i don't get it , especially looking at that road record

its because you're reading posts from people who are most likely 15....that includes 'PatJew'. We all know he's really faking that whole China thing. He's really 12. :D

its because you're reading posts from people who are most likely 15....that includes 'PatJew'. We all know he's really faking that whole China thing. He's really 12. :D

Stop interrupting my Bar Mitzvah studies!

I'd say there's probably more negativity about the Pats here than anywhere in the universe outside of Mike Felger's mouth. We're just a little excited about finally seeing a good, complete game.

I'd say there's probably more negativity about the Pats here than anywhere in the universe outside of Mike Felger's mouth. We're just a little excited about finally seeing a good, complete game.

speaking of felger :eek: I just got back from a Boston vaca, and i decided to listen to him on the radio. He really doesnt like anyone, huh? lol

speaking of felger :eek: I just got back from a Boston vaca, and i decided to listen to him on the radio. He really doesnt like anyone, huh? lol

I try to ignore him when I'm back home. He gets me so mad... :mad::mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back