PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chargers/Patriots...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pao

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I predict it's going to be Chargers/Patriots in the divisional round of the playoffs...again. Looks like NE will be #3 seed and they won't lose in the Wild Card round. Good luck and lets hope both teams get there healthy. The Pats are looking pretty dang good right now.

Why all the hoopla over San Diego? They have question marks on D - they can't cover TEs, their pass rush is kinda mediocre, and for that matter too, they're missing like 3 OL.

I know they've been playing well, but this could hurt them when they play big boys competition in the playoffs.

One aspect is the 3,000 mile flight. Ugh.

I think it will also play out that way. This time around it will be a lot more difficult for NE with LT and Gates healthy and Rivers having established a better chemistry with Floyd and Jackson.

Why all the hoopla over San Diego? They have question marks on D - they can't cover TEs, their pass rush is kinda mediocre, and for that matter too, they're missing like 3 OL.

I know they've been playing well, but this could hurt them when they play big boys competition in the playoffs.

Considering San Diego already IS in the divisionals, I don't understand your post.

The OP didn't mention anything about SD winning the game or anything like that.

Considering San Diego already IS in the divisionals, I don't understand your post.

The OP didn't mention anything about SD winning the game or anything like that.

I know - but was just pointing out that they're not exactly a dominant team like their record and everyone indicates.

IMHO - they're no different from the Vikings. Funny thing about this league is that when you win, no one cares about your weaknesses, it's only when you lose when they start jumping all over them. For example, the Vikings secondary hasn't been playing well all year. It's b/c of their recent losses that all of a sudden people are starting to notice.

I know - but was just pointing out that they're not exactly a dominant team like their record and everyone indicates.

IMHO - they're no different from the Vikings. Funny thing about this league is that when you win, no one cares about your weaknesses, it's only when you lose when they start jumping all over them. For example, the Vikings secondary hasn't been playing well all year. It's b/c of their recent losses that all of a sudden people are starting to notice.

They are actually very different from the Vikes on D. The Vikes have a good pass rush and clog the run well.

Your best bet against SD would be to run the ball like you did against JAX because their DL has taken a lot hits to FA and INJ. They are only mediocre at best at stopping the run. This could kill the Cheragers in the playoffs. They do have good CB's and LB's though, but Merriman doesn't get to the QB like he used to. And everyone knows that their offense can score, so keep them off the field.

Last edited:

Yes, it seems the media is going ga-ga, as the media will do, over the Chargers, and any hot team really, despite the problems you mention.

I think it will also play out that way. This time around it will be a lot more difficult for NE with LT and Gates healthy and Rivers having established a better chemistry with Floyd and Jackson.
And it will be a lot more difficult for the Chargers than '06/'07 because now the Patriots have Welker and Moss. And still the Patriots beat the Chargers! Brady is a God.

Yes, it seems the media is going ga-ga, as the media will do, over the Chargers, and any hot team really, despite the problems you mention.

They've won their last 10 in a row, no?

Plus, they blasted a hot Tennessee squad in Nasheville last week. I watched that game from beginning to end. I'm sold.

Last edited:

It's a different SD team now then 2006. Pluses and minuses on both sides....

Qb-Better now
RB- not as good now slightly, LT is not what he was however Sproles scares me to death

OL-not as good now
TE- better now
WR-better now

Dline- not as good
LB-not as good
Secondary- even IMO.

Plus, they blasted a hot Tennessee squad in Nasheville last week. I watched that game from beginning to end. I'm sold.
I think they are doing well and can be a factor in the playoffs. I agree with the poster though that they may be a bit overhyped right now. Some rankings, Peter King for example, have te Chargers as their #1 ranked NFL team right now. That, to me, is a bit high, especially when considering the Colts have won 14 out of 15. He had good points about the Chargers weaknesses too. As everyone knows, I am a Chargers fan. Still, objectively speaking I agree with him. That's not to say I don't think the Chargers can do well in the playoffs, I think they can. It's going to be a tough road though and it will be no surprise or shame if they lose to the Patriots in the divisional round. I don't see any team beating the Patriots in the Wild Card round at Gillette.

They have some holes. They're averaging 3.3 YPC running and their defense is allowing a higher QB rating than our seemingly sieve like pass defense. They're also being sacked on 5.3% of pass attempts whereas we are only sacked on 2.9%.

I don't want any part of them, believe me, but I'm not ready to crown them just yet either.

one thing everyone is forgetting. the chargers will resort to Turner Ball in the playoffs.

It's a different SD team now then 2006. Pluses and minuses on both sides....

Qb-Better now
RB- not as good now slightly, LT is not what he was however Sproles scares me to death

OL-not as good now
TE- better now
WR-better now

Dline- not as good
LB-not as good
Secondary- even IMO.
Now a breakdown of the Patriots now vs then...
QB- Just this side of God.
RB- Same?
OLine- not as good?
TE- Same?
WR- Now, All Pros. Then, below average. Way, way better.

Defense overall- Not as good. Still pretty decent?

Question marks are there because I have not seen the Patriots play as much as I would like. The only evals I am certain of are TB and the WRs. I'd like to see a Patriots' fan's opinion of the Patriots now vs then.

I think they are doing well and can be a factor in the playoffs. I agree with the poster though that they may be a bit overhyped right now. Some rankings, Peter King for example, have te Chargers as their #1 ranked NFL team right now. That, to me, is a bit high, especially when considering the Colts have won 14 out of 15. He had good points about the Chargers weaknesses too. As everyone knows, I am a Chargers fan. Still, objectively speaking I agree with him. That's not to say I don't think the Chargers can do well in the playoffs, I think they can. It's going to be a tough road though and it will be no surprise or shame if they lose to the Patriots in the divisional round. I don't see any team beating the Patriots in the Wild Card round at Gillette.

Quite frankly I think SDs best win of the year was vs TN. It seems to me that in their wins, they've come at a time where their opponents were not playing their best football or lousy football- with the exception of TN.

F The chargers

Now a breakdown of the Patriots now vs then...
QB- Just this side of God.
RB- Same?
OLine- not as good?
TE- Same?
WR- Now, All Pros. Then, below average. Way, way better.

Defense overall- Not as good. Still pretty decent?

Question marks are there because I have not seen the Patriots play as much as I would like. The only evals I am certain of are TB and the WRs. I'd like to see a Patriots' fan's opinion of the Patriots now vs then.

Hmmmm 2006 vs now?

QB- I think Brady is better now.
RB- Better now w/ Morris & Taylor
WR- Words can't describe it. :p
TE- not as good. I still think they miss Grahambo's blocking.
OL- Hmmm. Not sure about this one. I'll say slightly better now w/ Vollmer.

D
Dline- not a good
LB-not as good
Safeties- better now- No Rodney that game
CBs- Tough one...Asante had 10 ints, but WAY more depth this year at CB

Fans and sports media are funny animals. I was in a conference in SD a few months ago, and it was the day after the Broncos crushed SD, and I was driving in with my buddy (die hard Chargers fan) and up-and-down it was Fire Norv, AJ Must Go, etc. But I was talking to him about the SD schedule, and they easily could bounce back, which they did.

Just goes to show you it's a long season. :)

Looking forward to a potential SD/NEP showdown though. It really doesn't feel like a proper year until the Patriots end the Chargers season. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes