PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chargers just aren't the same anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
you can look at the teams that san digeo has faced this year and all of them have better CB's then the pats and Philip Rivers, is averageing over 316 yerds a game.

the rams defense played great sunday sacking Rivers, 7 times and still gave up 250 yerds and only won by a FG at home... Rivers, could have he's 3rd 400 yerd passing game this season vs the pats on sunday it will not be a easy win the pats will have to play very good on both sides of the ball to come out with a win,

First, the other teams faced Malcolm Floyd and Antonio Gates and the Pats may not face either (definitely not Floyd).

Second, with Gates being the Chargers number one option, it isn't about CB play as much as safeties and LBs. In fact, two of the four leading receivers in the Chargers' offense are not WRs (Darren Sproles is fourth with 15 catches for 155 yards). The Chargers don't test the CBs outside as much as they test the middle part of the field.

Third, Philip Rivers has thrown for 12 TDs this season, ten of them were thrown to Gates and Floyd again both of whom may not play this weekend.

Fourth, the likely starting WRs for the Chargers are Patrick Crayton (who was traded from the Cowboys because he couldn't crack the top 3 WRs in that offense) and Buster Davis. Not exactly elite WRs even in the Chargers' offense.

Rivers vs. our secondary scares the crap out of me.

We may have another BIG special teams day with them, they've been terrible in that aspect.

Belichick is going to remind them all week that they are the #1 offense and defense (yardage) in the NFL. They still have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball.

Last edited:
I agree with what you say, but I have also read that the two Chargers home games have been blacked out locally for them this year for lack of ticket sales. Anyone know if this game is sold out? I think a fair amount of Pats fans usually go to the games too, even though it's a tough place to play.

The game could definitely go either way. They desperately need a win, but they are limping badly coming into this one. Anyone know if Gates can go? He usually gives us fits, but couldn't put weight on his ankle at the end of the last game.

This game will be sold out. And the crowd will be 25% Pats fans. And well probably give them a better HFA than Gillette. ;)

And their STs are not just putrid, but historically bad.

The Chargers Special Teams units are horrid this year, but they have not been "historically bad".

They consistently put ST's players in the pro bowl. Kaeding, Osgood, Scifries.

Kaeding is great in the regular season, sucks in the playoffs. Scifries has been hurt, so his placement inside the twenty has been way off. The player turnover on special teams has really killed them. Osgood was awesome at downing punts and also being the first guy to hit the fielder of the punt or kickoff. They also lost Tim Dobbins, who was a beast.

The reason the Chargers are first in offense and defense is that all of the blocked punts, blocked field goals, TD returns on punts and kickoffs have put the offense back on the field and kept the defense off of it.

The team is in a very bad place right now with injuries and no emotional leadership from the coaches or the defense. Rivers is the only player that looks like he gives a sh%# when he is playing.

I hope I am wrong, but I see NE winning this week, 27 to 24.

As I mentioned in another thread,Brady has thrown 3 picks in the 2 games he played in SD,While SD is not as great talent wise as they used to be they certainly have given Brady fits out there.

Brady has been horrid thus far in their stadium so I would not be too ****y about the Pats winning handily...or even winning the game for that matter.

No team has really stopped Rivers this year,He is playing at a very high level Pro Bowl style and will put up 350 yards passing this game
...Anyone who thinks the Pats walk in and devour the Chargers are in for a rude surprise,this game IMO for the Pats will either be a 1-3 point win AT BEST or a loss.

The Chargers with their stats could very well be 6-0 with the problem being the coaching staff making wrong moves at wrong times,this SD team might be the best looking 2-4 team in NFL history.

A win is imperitive here. If they let Rivers, who has been fantastic this season, roll us without assumed missing Gates and Floyd then it would be a huge step back imo. Even a close game to me would be disheartening. I keep waiting for this NE secondary to build off of something. If they can't build off of last weeks 4th quarter performance than I think it says a lot about the defense in general.

inspite of our 4-1 and record...rivers is the best QB we will face yet..so who we have faced so far
palmer,fitzpatrick,sanchez,henne,flacco...
so chargers havent faced anyone but our suspect D has yet to face someone who can really throw the ball well and they have struggled without that. we had the same comments after the first game and we saw what hapened in nyc. if someone like woodhead can come in and make plays for us iam sure someone on the chargers can too.

Last edited:
I remember back when the Chargers fired Marty and hired Norv, a fan of theirs wrote online, "Great, we traded a coach who can't win in the postseason for one can't win in the regular season!"

Until this year, however, that hadn't really been the case. Still, I wouldn't put this Sunday's game down as a lock either, especially being out in SD.

As I mentioned in another thread,Brady has thrown 3 picks in the 2 games he played in SD,While SD is not as great talent wise as they used to be they certainly have given Brady fits out there.

Brady has been horrid thus far in their stadium so I would not be too ****y about the Pats winning handily...or even winning the game for that matter.

No team has really stopped Rivers this year,He is playing at a very high level Pro Bowl style and will put up 350 yards passing this game
...Anyone who thinks the Pats walk in and devour the Chargers are in for a rude surprise,this game IMO for the Pats will either be a 1-3 point win AT BEST or a loss.

The Chargers with their stats could very well be 6-0 with the problem being the coaching staff making wrong moves at wrong times,this SD team might be the best looking 2-4 team in NFL history.

The last time Brady played in Qualcomm was the division round of the playoffs in the 2006 season. Prior to that, he played there in the 2002 season. That is his history at Qualcomm. Brady's stats in Qualcomm have about as much relevance as his record on October 24th historically. How many Chargers defenders from 2006 are still on the team? How many from 2002?

you can look at the teams that san digeo has faced this year and all of them have better CB's then the pats and Philip Rivers, is averageing over 316 yerds a game.

the rams defense played great sunday sacking Rivers, 7 times and still gave up 250 yerds and only won by a FG at home... Rivers, could have he's 3rd 400 yerd passing game this season vs the pats on sunday it will not be a easy win the pats will have to play very good on both sides of the ball to come out with a win,

That'd be good. I believe the statistic is if a QB throws over 400 yards, they only win 33% of the time.

inspite of our 4-1 and record...rivers is the best QB we will face yet..so who we have faced so far
palmer,fitzpatrick,sanchez,henne,flacco...
so chargers havent faced anyone but our suspect D has yet to face someone who can really throw the ball well and they have struggled without that. we had the same comments after the first game and we saw what hapened in nyc. if someone like woodhead can come in and make plays for us iam sure someone on the chargers can too.

Ok, SD has a better QB than the 5 teams we've played. But how about defense? WRs? RBs? etc...
We've played much better defenses, much better run games, covered much better receivers, and played much better special teams! Rivers is the only thing that gives them a chance and he was sacked what, 7 times last weekend? No reason we shouldn't be able to at least put *some* pressure on him this weekend.

I think we HANDILY beat them, >38 to <21

If you check out bodog.com, the Chargers are still favored to win the AFCW:

SD: -125 (down from -160 last week)
KC: +140 (up from +200 last week)
Den: +900 (up from +1000 last week)
Oak: +1400 (down from +1000 last week)

If you think about how ridiculous this is - SD and Denver have the same record, but SD is considered more than 11 times likely to win the division. And last week they were 16 times more likely. Yikes! If only I could make that bet.

That'd be good. I believe the statistic is if a QB throws over 400 yards, they only win 33% of the time.

Ok, SD has a better QB than the 5 teams we've played. But how about defense? WRs? RBs? etc...
We've played much better defenses, much better run games, covered much better receivers, and played much better special teams! Rivers is the only thing that gives them a chance and he was sacked what, 7 times last weekend? No reason we shouldn't be able to at least put *some* pressure on him this weekend.

I think we HANDILY beat them, >38 to <21

defenses we have played good ones. but rams defense is playing pretty good other than the one lions game and the chargers were on the road.
I hope you are right but IMO i would be very very surprised if we beat them 'handily' considering they are at home and desperate. it might be a close game or the pats might get it handed to them but a blowout for the pats will be very surprising.

The Chargers are a -3 in turnovers, they have 11 fumbles (8 lost)and 5 picks in six games. That fumbling number is terrible. The defense has caused 9 of of its turnovers in two games (Arizona (3) and Jacksonville (6)).

Their two wins have come at home against a struggling Arizona team that switched to Max Hall after Anderson threw two picks, and a jeckyl and hyde Jags team who combined to turn the ball over 9 times.

They like to put the ball on the ground, a lot! We should be able to destroy their ST's, and cause a few turnovers defensively. In the end, I think that will be to much for their depleted offense to overcome. *As long as we don't get sloppy with the football.

Pats: 37 (ST's TD)
SD: 17 (3 Turnovers)

The last time Brady played in Qualcomm was the division round of the playoffs in the 2006 season. Prior to that, he played there in the 2002 season. That is his history at Qualcomm. Brady's stats in Qualcomm have about as much relevance as his record on October 24th historically. How many Chargers defenders from 2006 are still on the team? How many from 2002?

You could say the same thing about the Pats playing down in Miami or at Pittsburgh in the regular season...for many years no matter how bad the Dolphins were they gave our QBs fits.....its a mystique or perhaps just a bad omen if anything

The Chargers are 2-4, tied for second in the division with the Chiefs leading at 3-2. As lousy as that record may be, the Bolts are exactly one win from the division lead.

They are, but have lost 2 in a row and you have to figure KC will beat Jacksonville this weekend at Arrowhead. Ill be very surprised if they dont.

2007: 1-3
AFC West Champions (End: AFC Championship)

2008: 2-3
AFC West Champions (End: AFC Divisional Round)

2009: 2-3

2010: 2-4

Just looks like the same ol', same ol' to me. Everyone says the Chargers are "done" then they will be in the playoffs again and will have a chance to beat anyone once there with Rivers.

Chargers will stretch Patriots' secondary to the limit

i guess a lot of people who dont like the 10 yard cushion or easy completions over the middle will see it this week...i remember in 2008 the D gave up pass plays over the top and BB wasnt to happy... their stats about receivers avg yards per catch is impressive.

Chargers will stretch Patriots' secondary to the limit

i guess a lot of people who dont like the 10 yard cushion or easy completions over the middle will see it this week...i remember in 2008 the D gave up pass plays over the top and BB wasnt to happy... their stats about receivers avg yards per catch is impressive.

Do people not realize that pretty much everyone who can catch on that team is hurt?

2007: 1-3
AFC West Champions (End: AFC Championship)

2008: 2-3

2009: 2-3

2010: 2-4

Just looks like the same ol', same ol' to me. Everyone says the Chargers are "done" then they will be in the playoffs again and will have a chance to beat anyone once there with Rivers.

Well, the biggest difference there, is they may actually have an NFL quality team in their division this year in the Chiefs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back