PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chargers focused on beating Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love that they think Cromartie will be able to go man coverage on Moss...I hope to god that they do that....

I think Banks got that part wrong, we don't match our CBs with WRs...Cromartie is our RCB & Jammer is our LCB...doesn't Moss usually line up on the right (our left)? Regardless, we did a pretty good job of shutting Moss down in the AFCCG.

Indy is also focused on beating the Pats.
So is Jacksonville.

I think Jacksonville is much more focused on beating Indy than worrying about the Pats.

I think Banks got that part wrong, we don't match our CBs with WRs...Cromartie is our RCB & Jammer is our LCB...doesn't Moss usually line up on the right (our left)? Regardless, we did a pretty good job of shutting Moss down in the AFCCG.

Cornerbacks are overrated. I think both Pats fans and Charger fans are forgetting the (not so) Super Bowl. Pass rush is the key. See what the Jags did (drafted) in the offseason. See how much Jarred Allen (and the Chiefs) got from the Vikings .

Conventional football wisdom is that if you give a decent QB enough time in the pocket, he will find an open receiver as a WR will sooner or later break free. An Tommy Boy is one of the best (ever) in going through the progressions and finding the open man (TE or HB out of the backfield included).

Look at the Bronchos CB's - 2 of the best in the game: Champ Bailey and Dre Bly- how has that worked out for them? Not as they hoped as Bronchos have no pass rush.

If Tommy has time to throw and Pats can make a few decent runs to keep the Charger's defense honest, then its back to the Super Bowl as the Chargers won't be able to match the point total. Colts still scare me more as they seem to have more playoff poise and stronger team leadership (not to mention better coaching). Still the playoff wins last year for the Chargers should go along way to helping their confidence.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the Chargers this year. I'm curious about Rivers' performance as a QB this year. I'm also keenly interested in watching David Garrard run his offense this year.

If the Pat's have to get stopped on the way, I could live with the Chargers or Jags more than the Colts. Colts. Yucky. ;)

Last edited:
Cornerbacks are overrated. I think both Pats fans and Charger fans are forgetting the (not so) Super Bowl. Pass rush is the key. See what the Jags did (drafted) in the offseason. See how much Jarred Allen (and the Chiefs) got from the Vikings .

I don't know about overrated but CBs are definitely helped out by a great pass rush...and we have a couple of pretty good pass rushers too. Keep an eye out for Jyles Tucker, a UDFA from last year who showed some great pass rushing potential once he was activated from the PS. There's word that we'll try to incorporate him with Merriman & Phillips all in at the same time (kind of our version of Strahan, Osi, & Tuck).

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the Chargers this year. I'm curious about Rivers' performance as a QB this year. I'm also keenly interested in watching David Garrard run his offense this year.

If the Pat's have to get stopped on the way, I could live with the Chargers or Jags more than the Colts. Colts. Yucky. ;)

You sir can not be a Patriot fan!
I can't think of a lot of other things that would hurt me as much as the 19th game had.

No, I'm definitely a fan. But if the Pat's were ever looking Dolphinish, I'd need some reason to cheer.

The Chargers need to worry about finding a man that can coach his way out of a wet paper bag.
Also I'm gonna say it I think the Broncos and Raiders will surprise them.
If Jamarcus can get time from his line he has the arm to make all the throws does he have a top tier QB IQ?
Will find out. If Mcfaddden can do that run defense what Adrian Peterson did.
People forget the Raiders have a top 10 defense easily and at worst a top 5 pass defense.
As far as the Broncos my neighbor is a huge Donkey fan and he always reports on them. I think the Chargers should be concerned about them too.
Their tackle in the draft they took looks great, Cutler is positioned for a breakout year, Brandon Marshall a guy I really wanted the pats to draft is a absolute beast top 10 receiver in the game at worst.
Champ Bailey is suppose to be in the best shape of his life.
They have Boss Bailey as a pass rusher now a role he never understood he wasn't used as in Detroit.
Dumervill and Moss on the ends are fast as heck, all they need to do is find anybody at nose tackle and the line is solid.
John Lynch has supposedly looked alot better being threatened by Mcree taking his job and looks in the best shape.
Plus Shannahan is a top 5 coach, Norv Turner not so much?
So why don't you fans take our mantra one game at a time cause I'm concentrating on the Chiefs
as I believe all pats fans are.
Who If 30 percent of their rookies catch on and Brodie looks anything like he did in college.
The Chargers could have a interesting battle on their hands.

You guys are forgetting that Norv Turner did pretty damn good with that team last year. Granted, he'll probably screw it up over time but right now, he has a team loaded with talent. Give him at least two years before he royally screws the Chargers up.

The Chargers need to worry about finding a man that can coach his way out of a wet paper bag.
Also I'm gonna say it I think the Broncos and Raiders will surprise them.
If Jamarcus can get time from his line he has the arm to make all the throws does he have a top tier QB IQ?
Will find out. If Mcfaddden can do that run defense what Adrian Peterson did.
People forget the Raiders have a top 10 defense easily and at worst a top 5 pass defense.
As far as the Broncos my neighbor is a huge Donkey fan and he always reports on them. I think the Chargers should be concerned about them too.
Their tackle in the draft they took looks great, Cutler is positioned for a breakout year, Brandon Marshall a guy I really wanted the pats to draft is a absolute beast top 10 receiver in the game at worst.
Champ Bailey is suppose to be in the best shape of his life.
They have Boss Bailey as a pass rusher now a role he never understood he wasn't used as in Detroit.
Dumervill and Moss on the ends are fast as heck, all they need to do is find anybody at nose tackle and the line is solid.
John Lynch has supposedly looked alot better being threatened by Mcree taking his job and looks in the best shape.
Plus Shannahan is a top 5 coach, Norv Turner not so much?
So why don't you fans take our mantra one game at a time cause I'm concentrating on the Chiefs
as I believe all pats fans are.
Who If 30 percent of their rookies catch on and Brodie looks anything like he did in college.
The Chargers could have a interesting battle on their hands.

OK, by your logic, the Pats should be worried about the Phins and Bills. Both are building up talent and are on the upswing, right? The Broncs and Faiders have issues beyond plugging in a few draft picks. Champ Bailey had a terrible year and is on the quick decline. If Lynch is threatened by McCree, the've got real problems. McCree is horrible..we should know. As for the Raiders, their line will never give Russell time. Their front line has enough holes to satisfy Ron Jeremy. However, I think you're missing the point of the article. Our thorn of late has been the Pats. So, Smith works to that objective. Suffice it to say, if we can beat you guys, we should be able to handle the rest. Our division has hardly been threatening the last few years. You guys should know all about that.

let them, they wont succeeded, (i hope)

they pats need to worry about getting number 4

Solid article. Gave his reasoning per George Allen.

This was mentioned, but i thought it deserved a quote...
"For Christmas, I got 'The Blueprint: How the New England Patriots Beat the System to Create the Last Great NFL Super Power' by Christopher Price,'' Smith said.

Good, let them focus on the Patriots. Our boys need to focus on winning #4.

[/COLOR]

Brandon Marshall a guy I really wanted the pats to draft is a absolute beast top 10 receiver in the game at worst.

Brodie looks anything like he did in college.

Completely agree about turner. The bolts have alot of talent, but coaching is very suspect.
I don't think i'd say top 10 on marshall(yet), but I do think he'll be pretty good.
Now for Brodie. What did you see in his college performance that leads you to think that? My friend is a big bama fan, and forces me to watch their games. Granted, there's not much else to do down here.lol. anyway, everytime I watched croyle, He would overthrow a wide open receiver streaking down the middle of the field. Usually by 10 yards, or more. Keep in mind, im not a qb, but I would think that a good qb should be able to make that throw everytime. He has the arm, but his accuracy sucked. Tough kid though. He took some big hits, and came back for more. He just didnt have any consistency.
With that said, I the poster, know nothing, and only believe what B.B. says:D

This was the best part of the article:

Instead he talked about some key lessons he learned long ago, working around a couple of legendary playoff-winning coaches in George Allen and Marv Levy.

Good thinking: study a couple of coaches who never won the SB!!!

lol

As a Pats fan, I'm rather flattered by the the Chargers obsession.

But don't they have their own division to think about?:confused:

Normally I would agree, but considering the other teams they have to face in the AFC West - the Broncos, Chiefs and Raiders will probably all have losing records this year - I can understand why they're looking beyond the division. It's similar to the AFC East, where most Pats fans are more concerned with the Colts and Chargers than the Bills, Jets and Dolphins this year.

As somebody else mentiond, it's flattering. It is an indication that one of the top teams in the NFL considers the Pats to be the best team in the league. They realize that in order to become champions they need to figure out a way to get past the Pats.

Good insight.

SD is at the point where it's SB or bust. It's similiar to Tampa circa. 2002. The one issue I would raise is the current 2-3 year window concept. Overall, they are young but this is LT's 8th year. Quite old for a RB.

Can Rivers do it? Can the WR continue to show improvement?

Well, I think SD is our major competition for home field and the #1 seed simply because they play the afc east(besides the pats its the worst division in football)and play their west rivals twice each....which is the 2nd worst division in football. The Colts have to play the North and will get alot more beat up this year, they will be there but wont win 12 this year.
And watch out for Denver, they are about to implode! Shanny fired his GM and is full on THE MAN....about to meet his end. His QB has all kinds of problems relating to diabetes, Marshall is another wr diva, and his defense cant stop anyone, and they lost their RB mojo....they are my pick to be worst team in the AFC this year.....fighting it out with the Bungals for the #1 pick.

Yeah, what happens when LT goes *poof* and they can't count on him?

Just like "what happens when the Colts can't throw for 48 TDs in a season". Good teams do what they have to do to compete. Notice that they've been attempting to build their passing (/receiving) game the last couple years? Sure they're an easier win without LT on the field, or at least w/o LT dominating... but I hate this sort of messianic train of thought, where "the day will come when LT falters... and then, they go away."

This is a solid, solid football team, talent-wise.

The one thing missing from the AJ Smith article, in my mind, is BB's famous dictum that they weren't collecting talent, they were building a team. But then, all else being equal, I don't think BB runs around looking for less talented players ;)

PFnV

I never will worry about the Chargers for one reason, and one reason only: Norv Turner and his coaching staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back