PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chargers focused on beating Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chargers are an uber talented team with a lot of good young players. I still think they go as LT does, and I am hoping LT has a down year and we start to see a dip in his production. They are a very dangerous team.

It's still all about the Pats, Colts and Chargers - the balance of power isn't changing anytime soon.

Last edited:
Let's be honest. These guys came real close to beating us last year without Rivers, Gates or Tomlinson anywhere near 100%. Damn gutsy performance by the Chargers.

Week 6 will probably be for HFA should they meet in the playoffs.

QB12

Don't forget Tommy rolled his ankle in the 3rd and was not 100% for most of the 2nd half as well.

Let's be honest. These guys came real close to beating us last year without Rivers, Gates or Tomlinson anywhere near 100%. Damn gutsy performance by the Chargers.

Week 6 will probably be for HFA should they meet in the playoffs.

QB12

Damn straight they did. But you have to remember that we play up (or down... see the Ravens game) to our competition. I still think we should have won even if they fielded their entire squad.

Chargers are an uber talented team with a lot of good young players. I still think they go as LT does, and I am hoping LT has a down year and we start to see a dip in his production. They are a very dangerous team.

It's still all about the Pats, Colts and Chargers - the balance of power isn't changing anytime soon.

If I was a Chargers fan I would be worried about:

1. LT's Knee
2. Rivers Knee
3. LT's Head and his inability to control his temper and that allows big games to destroy him.
4. Rivers Head and his inability to control his temper and that allows big games to destroy him.

Don't forget Tommy rolled his ankle in the 3rd and was not 100% for most of the 2nd half as well.

Good point. The NFL Network is rebroadcasting the conference championships Sunday. I'm going to watch the game real close to see why that game was so much tighter than the Sunday night game in Week 2.

QB12

If I was a Chargers fan I would be worried about:

1. LT's Knee
2. Rivers Knee
3. LT's Head and his inability to control his temper and that allows big games to destroy him.
4. Rivers Head and his inability to control his temper and that allows big games to destroy him.

They're not. I post at the Chargers forum on occasion and they all seem to think that Rivers is the second coming of Dan Marino.

They're not. I post at the Chargers forum on occasion and they all seem to think that Rivers is the second coming of Dan Marino.
You know I was poking around on the Chargers site and I saw you posting on a thread about the Chargers possibly leaving SD. The fans seemed resigned that the team is going to leave.

This is a no brainer for the front office. You need to aim your moves at your key competition. However, I wonder what the message to the players is on all of this. Sometimes when you concentrate solely on one team, the other 15 on your schedule come up to bite you more than they should. They could beat the Pats but end up losing two or three other games that they "should" win if beating the Patriots is what the players and coaching staff are fixated on.

Even if they come out in the media and say all of the right things, ie. "one game at a time", you have to wonder if they are not too caught up in the Patriots that they don't over look other opponents and pay for it down the line.

Good point. The NFL Network is rebroadcasting the conference championships Sunday. I'm going to watch the game real close to see why that game was so much tighter than the Sunday night game in Week 2.

QB12

It was so tight because Tommy threw 3 INTS.

He rolled the ankle on the 2nd Interception.

Here is the box score info, watch for the Play:

3rd and 12 at 50 (12:40, 3rd QTR) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short left intended for D.Stallworth INTERCEPTED by D.Florence at SD 44. D.Florence to NE 49 for 7 yards (W.Welker).

Wow, That's truly delusional.

However, They do have one thing in common........No Super Bowls. :singing:

San Diego should focus on their own. If they obsess with New England too much, someone like the Colts will actually knock them out. If AJ Smith were really smart, he'd take some of BB's best advice an concentrate on the little things and what you do best and the rest will take care of itself(or something to that affect).:D

I would be fine with Rivers as the second coming of Marino. One Superbowl appearance (a loss) in a 17 year career. A pile of choke playoff efforts.
That said, the Charges are a good football team. I don't see alot of slippage this year from LT. He's only 29 and has a couple of very good years still left in the tank.
The issues with this team are,

1) Norv Turner as a head coach. This ensures that the Chargers will pretty much always be outcoached in tight playoff games. This equels losses when there should be wins
2) Lt's head. His lack of discipline is really quite shocking. When a player consistantly looks around for others to blame and cannot face or deal with his own teams failings, it is a huge sign of immaturity. Can you imagine his antics playing out on a veteran Patriots team.
3) Rivers showed me something during the playoff loss last January. But, he still has not fully reigned in his tempor. Until he does, he is a playoff time bomb waiting to go off.
3) Perhaps most importantly, there is no high charachter, quality veteran leadership on this team. None. And this is a real kiss of death for playoff success. Has anyone on the Chargers stood up to LT's *****ing and complaining or stepped into to shut down the squabbling between LT and Rivers? These two are always saying or doing something stupid and there is no accountability. When your two biggest stars are also your two most undisciplined members of the team and no one can tell them to shut up and just do their jobs, it equates to more playoff losses, when these kinds of things are really magnified.
Seeing LT on the sidelines last year was hilarious. I can't stand the guy and it showed me that he has no heart. I don't know how badly he was injured and I don't know what kind of off season surgery he had as a result. What I do know is that he was not there for his team while Rivers was. LT was standing the whole time and the look of disgust on a couple of his teammates faces when they realized that he was not going back in, was wonderful.
I have no respect for LT.
I can't wait for football to start up as I'm getting pissed off just thinking about LT.

So you're saying they don't expect to win any superbowls with him? :D

You know I was poking around on the Chargers site and I saw you posting on a thread about the Chargers possibly leaving SD. The fans seemed resigned that the team is going to leave.

Yeah. I actually hope they stay in San Diego. I don't like the Chargers but no city deserves to lose it's team... especially not to a hellhole like L.A.

Chargers leavind SD would suck - original AFL team and all.

What would ever become of the song........I still think of the old Houston Oiler song.

Chargers have been good for a few years now, this may be a down year for them - only New England gets better and better every year.

As I recall the Chargers drafted Cason with their 1st rounder. Before the draft, there were a LOT of posters here that wanted the Pats to draft him. Just because he became another team's property, doesn't mean he suddenly became a garbage player. Like it or not the Chargers now have one of the most talented secondaries in the league with Cromartie, Cason, and Weddle. That secondary matches well to stopping the pass. I'm not saying they can single cover Moss and get away with it, but they are well equipped against the passing game.

I take the Chargers seriously, even though we have owned them in recent games, they have a good GM who continually restocks the fridge to keep that team a contender. I still think the Patriots have a better team/more overall talent, but as long as the Chargers have a guy called LT coming out of the backfield, you can't underestimate them.

Last edited:
I think Cason is a great pick for them, but assuming he can come in and shut down Wes Welker might be a stretch. It's all well and good that they're are building themselves to beat the Patriots but what happens if/when they have to play the Jags in the playoffs? People seem to be conveniently forgetting how pourous the Chargers Run D was last year. See Maroney's AFCCG-clinching drive... not to mention Adrian Peterson's performance...

As I recall the Chargers drafted Cason with their 1st rounder. Before the draft, there were a LOT of posters here that wanted the Pats to draft him. Just because he became another team's property, doesn't mean he suddenly became a garbage player. Like it or not the Chargers now have one of the most talented secondaries in the league with Cromartie, Cason, and Weddle. That secondary matches well to stopping the pass. I'm not saying they can single cover Moss and get away with it, but they are well equipped against the passing game.

I take the Chargers seriously, even though we have owned them in recent games, they have a good GM who continually restocks the fridge to keep that team a contender. I still think the Patriots have a better team/more overall talent, but as long as the Chargers have a guy called LT coming out of the backfield, you can't underestimate them.

Coaching and team culture is their problem. Both are unadressed. That said, I'll agree they're awash with talent and present a serious threat. I'm wondering if LTs best days are behind him? Probably has a few left.

I would be fine with Rivers as the second coming of Marino. One Superbowl appearance (a loss) in a 17 year career. A pile of choke playoff efforts.
That said, the Charges are a good football team. I don't see alot of slippage this year from LT. He's only 29 and has a couple of very good years still left in the tank.
The issues with this team are,

1) Norv Turner as a head coach. This ensures that the Chargers will pretty much always be outcoached in tight playoff games. This equels losses when there should be wins
2) Lt's head. His lack of discipline is really quite shocking. When a player consistantly looks around for others to blame and cannot face or deal with his own teams failings, it is a huge sign of immaturity. Can you imagine his antics playing out on a veteran Patriots team.
3) Rivers showed me something during the playoff loss last January. But, he still has not fully reigned in his tempor. Until he does, he is a playoff time bomb waiting to go off.
3) Perhaps most importantly, there is no high charachter, quality veteran leadership on this team. None. And this is a real kiss of death for playoff success. Has anyone on the Chargers stood up to LT's *****ing and complaining or stepped into to shut down the squabbling between LT and Rivers? These two are always saying or doing something stupid and there is no accountability. When your two biggest stars are also your two most undisciplined members of the team and no one can tell them to shut up and just do their jobs, it equates to more playoff losses, when these kinds of things are really magnified.
Seeing LT on the sidelines last year was hilarious. I can't stand the guy and it showed me that he has no heart. I don't know how badly he was injured and I don't know what kind of off season surgery he had as a result. What I do know is that he was not there for his team while Rivers was. LT was standing the whole time and the look of disgust on a couple of his teammates faces when they realized that he was not going back in, was wonderful.
I have no respect for LT.
I can't wait for football to start up as I'm getting pissed off just thinking about LT.

+1,000,000

chargers seem to have the colts number, so the pats are next. they are kind of like the colts of 03-04, a solid team but cant get past the patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back