Welcome to PatsFans.com

Changing Times Question

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +516 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Ok, I admit it - my sleuthing skills must be getting rusty because I can't find much information out there.

Does anyone here know if it is customary for professional football players to charge their fans for autographs and pictures (or autographed pictures for that matter?)

Reason I ask is because I don't want to be appalled at Tebow's first signing if I shouldn't be.

(I have, however, figured out how he planned on paying for that pricey Super Bowl commercial spot.)
  2. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Players have been charging for autogrpahs for many many years. Any card convention, or any other Setup" situation where athletes are signing things, it's almost always a charge.

Best place for free autographs is training camps.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +548 / 2 / -9

Thats a new one on me:
    It's time for me to hang it up and sit on my porch and just spit and whittle, anybody that would pay a Billionaire Jock real money to sign his name on a piece of paper belongs in a friggin Insane Asylum.
  4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +516 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

For me, too, Harry. Got room on that porch for a cranky lady?

Whatever happened to being grateful to the fans for making you the star you are today????

I thought people were nuts when they paid Sarah Palin for pictures and autographs - but TEBOW??? He's not even signed with anyone yet, has he? How does he fall into that "professional" catagory which allows sports figures to charge individuals for their autograph? From what I can find out on the internet only professional atheletes are allowed to do so. Does just proclaiming your intention qualify you to charge your fans $210.00 for your signature and a photo?
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +548 / 2 / -9

We live in a strange world Mrs, I'm with you on Palin also, I wonder if these people accept money from some 12 yr old who sees them as heros...

PS
    I like to hear Sarah say "you betcha" but she ain't getting any of my money.................:)
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +266 / 10 / -26

What is sicker is that there will be those who do it..

Courtesy of Robert Zimmerman..
  7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +516 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Now that I think about it - they're probably getting paid twice, aren't they? Once by whatever organization/place of business which pays them to show up and then again by the people who come to see them.

Fer instance, when my kids were younger the hospital where I worked had a Mke Ditka and bunch of The Super Bowl Bears attend the grand opening of our new oncology unit. They were paid, by the hospital, for their attendance.

They passed out pictures and signed autographs for hours. (I know, coz I stood in line with two little kids waiting.) The cost to us? Nada. Why should we have been required to pay for what the hospital had already paid for?

I wonder if Brady and Moss charge for autographs?

Ugh. This sucs.
  8. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Tebow is wildly famous here. a) Becuase he is a local high school star, then he goes to the local college team nad become a mega star and wins a few trophies.

People can sel anything they want.

There is no rule that prevents me from selling my autograph, the market isn't realy strong my my signature these days however...

Keep in mind that players only usually charge when in a set up environment, and they usually get around it by selling you the 30.00 football he's going to sign. I've never read an instance when a player refused an autograph when just out in public.

I remember when I was younger and at the pats training camp, Bledsoe didn't want to sign an autograph, and Coates was driving him in one of those golf carts, and it was just about 15 of us in the right spot and you could hear Dre say something like "Not now, I can't sign anything right now" then as they got a bit past us, Coates stopped the golf cart, and said something like, of your doing this... or something, in a jokingly way as to mess with Drew... and we all ran up and he signed everything.

I would say 90% of the time that atheletes are in positions to sell their autographs are when they are past their out of their careers and just travelling with the card conventions, and trying to make some extra money. The Promoters give them money to come sign autographs and the athelete gets more money for selling his autographs.
  9. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

You can make a lot of money selling autographs. Grab a couple of cute kids, go to spring training just about anywhere in central Florida or lots of places in Arizona and put the kids to work. You can sell them on Ebay or flea markets and lots of other places. The autograph business grew up a long time ago. I doubt the athletes paid much attention at first. It was likely the agents that started them on the path to charging.
  10. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

The second most famous resident of Hibbing,MN. Any true Celtics fan can tell you who is number one.
    Considering that many of these autographs are going to end up on EBay and make money for the recipient/seller, can you blame the players? I've never paid for an autograph or even asked for one and never understood the rationale but that's me. Several years ago I was on a cross country flight seated next to Bruce Jenner the decathlon champ from 1976. We made small talk and I didn't acknowledge that I knew who he was until midway through the flight I noticed a newspaper story about security at the upcoming Olympics. I asked him his opinion since he was an expert on Olympics. It was my way of saying "I know who you are but I respect your privacy". When I got home my wife asked if I got an autograph and I told her no, "guys don't do that".
  11. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +887 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

WHOAH!
    WAIT A SECOND!
    You all trying to tell me that the people who SIGN the autograph are the ones supposed to get paid? I've been doin it backwards all this time? Is that what I'm hearing?