PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Change that the competition committee SHOULD consider

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's just look at your scenario and play it out.

Brady drops back from the NE 40 and airs one out to Moss down the right sideline. There's contact as the DB hits Moss and a flag is thrown. New England fans are thrilled because it will now be 1st and goal at the 5.

WAIT... the official is ruling that it was only a 15 yard 'contact' foul. This changes everything.

Oh, no.... it doesn't.

New England now has 1st and 10 at the defending team's 45 yard line. Both teams are now completely livid.

THAT is the coward's way out of that call.

And, for the record, your scenario does not "happen almost this severely all the time" by any stretch of the imagination.

How about, Peyton airs one out in the direction of Harrison. It's a little off and heading towards the defender. Harrison, realizing this jumps into the defender and slaps the ball away, drops to the ground writhing and waits for the flag.

Over nachos and Coronas later, tells Peyton he couldn't have caught it with a butterfly net.

Hey, sixty yards is 60 yards.

How about, Peyton airs one out in the direction of Harrison. It's a little off and heading towards the defender. Harrison, realizing this jumps into the defender and slaps the ball away, drops to the ground writhing and waits for the flag.

Over nachos and Coronas later, tells Peyton he couldn't have caught it with a butterfly net.

Hey, sixty yards is 60 yards.

1.) Trying to find a scenario that works for your argument being inherently superior when I've already given a scenario that shows your desired remedy producing an outcome no better than the current system is a bit like locking the barn door when the horses have already gotten away.

2.) Again, your problem isn't with the P.I. call, it's with the way it's called. That call made properly is offensive pass interference. However, how do you go from "a little off and heading towards the defender" so that Harrison has to make a play by slapping it to the ground to claiming that Harrison couldn't have caught it with a butterfly net? You realize the complete lack of logic in your example, right?

Last edited:

I find it disappointing, albeit humorous, that some people complaining about a judgment call are putting forth a solution that adds yet another judgment call to the play. ...

I agree. The rule is not the problem as much as the enforcement. Giving more "judgement" power to the ref is asking for disaster. We seriously need to go back to the pre-1978 rule, or a version thereof.

We've all seen enough football over the years to know that there is no way a Referee should be put in the position where if he calls a PI it'll be a 50 yard game changing play. Those calls are always too close.

I think the worst rule is the spot foul on all PI's. It should be 15 and the first.

Considering the Watson injury, stiffer penalties for the horsecollar tackle.

Every team should have cameras!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes