PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Change in draft order coming in 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

muslimman

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
NFL owners pass change on playoff teams draft order - ESPN

Didn't see this posted anywhere on here so I thought I would...

Basically what the owners passed was a change where draft order will not be strictly based on regular season record: Wild card losers will be assigned picks between 21 and 24. Divisional round winners will pick from in between 25 and 28. Conference game losers get picks 29 and 30. The order within these picks will then be based off records. Of course Super Bowl winner picks at 32 while loser picks at 31.

I really like this change especially coming off a year where we will be draft 7 spots behind the Chargers who made it to the AFC Divisional Game. Just to add perspective if these changes were in effect this year we would be picking at #20.

Also two other rules changes were passed:

• If a fumble or backward pass goes out of bounds, the game clock will start when the official places the ball in play.

• The NFL eliminated a second onside kick chance if the first onside kick goes out of bounds. The competition committee believed that bad onside kicks should not be rewarded with a second opportunity.

Last edited:
One year too late.

Nice to see the owners use some common sense though.

For the onside kick change... what? If the onside kick goes out of bounds, isn't it just a penalty like a normal kickoff out of bounds?

For the onside kick change... what? If the onside kick goes out of bounds, isn't it just a penalty like a normal kickoff out of bounds?
A good question? Apparently not....I would have also thought it miht matter whether the kick went out of bounds after 10 yards or before that...If it was less I would have assumed a penalty that the ball did go the required distance. Not a bad rule though..you have one shot and kicking out of bounds not helpful.

Yeah that one kinda surprised me... I wasn't at all aware that you got a second chance if the ball went out of bounds on an onside kick. I think we might be missing something and there was more to the rule than just a free second chance.

NFL owners pass change on playoff teams draft order - ESPN

Didn't see this posted anywhere on here so I thought I would...
Basically what the owners passed was a change where draft order will not be strictly based on regular season record: Wild card losers will be assigned picks between 21 and 24. Divisional round winners will pick from in between 25 and 28. Conference game losers get picks 29 and 30. The order within these picks will then be based off records. Of course Super Bowl winner picks at 32 while loser picks at 31.
I really like this change especially coming off a year where we will be draft 7 spots behind the Chargers who made it to the AFC Divisional Game. Just to add perspective if these changes were in effect this year we would be picking at #20.
I heard this being talked about earlier this week and seemed that it was ONLY in the first round when this new change would apply and that the old draft order would be in the later rounds. Is that the case or is that draft order in ALL rounds?? Just looking for a clarification.

Yeah I was hearing rumors that they would change it so the teams with like the 10 worst records could choose where they picked because of all the huge contracts that come with 1-10 overall picks, eg maybe the Lions dont want to pick first and give the guy a huge contract. Obviously that didnt happen and it wouldve only applied to the first round.

But as for these new rules I have no idea if its just for the first round. My guess is it would be for all the rounds simply because it would complicate things to change the draft order after the first and having each team essentially have two different draft spots.

Last edited:
One year too late.

Nice to see the owners use some common sense though.

It's actually many years late, how many NFC teams have made the playoffs the past 6-8 years who ended up getting better draft picks then teams in the AFC who had better records but didn't make the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes