PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chandler Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Many, many posters want to trade Chandler Jones. They would rather have a draft choice than to continue to have our combination of Ninkovich, Jones and Sheard.

The cost for Jones for 2016 is $7.8M. IMHO, he is well worth keeping.

Miguel has demonstrated that after a few cuts (Mayo, LaFell, Chandler and Cannon) we start the FA season with $15M with relatively few top needs. This presumes the signing of Brown, Ebner, the RFA's and the ERFA's.

We will other opportunities of saving cap money through possible restructures of Hightower, Sheard and even Brady.
=================
We were told by so many posters that 2016 would a cap disaster. Well, we're here. We haen't been in better cap shape for many years.
==================
MY BOTTOM LINE
We should consider an extension for Jones. If a reasonable deal can't be worked out, then Jones will play out his contract and be a free agent in 2017.

Many, many posters want to trade Chandler Jones. They would rather have a draft choice than to continue to have our combination of Ninkovich, Jones and Sheard.

Miguel has demonstrated that after a few cuts (Mayo, LaFell, Chandler and Cannon) we start the FA season with $15M with relatively few top needs. This presumes the signing of Brown, Ebner, the RFA's and the ERFA's.

We will other opportunities of saving cap money through possible restructures of Hightower, Sheard and even Brady.
=================
We were told by so many posters that 2016 would a cap disaster. Well, we're here. We haen't been in better cap shape for many years.
==================
MY BOTTOM LINE
We should consider an extension for Jones. If a reasonable deal can't be worked out, then Jones will play out his contract and be a free agent in 2017.

I tend to agree unless we can get a high second for him and Braxton Miller is available!

I think it's more about the cap space (cost/benefit) than the possible pick involved in a trade. Rounding this 7.8 to 8, with Miguel's projection that would be 23 Mi in cap space.

Is this projection counting the 2016 salary cap raise? If not then there still more money on the table to sign all the guys we need to sign/extend and bring some quality free agents.

=================
==================
MY BOTTOM LINE

Agree completely. The Patriots have a chance to go into 2016 with potentially their best defense ever and dealing away pieces for picks makes no sense right now. They can create enough cap space to address offensive issues and be one of the best teams in football in all 3 phases of the game. You could tell how excited Brady , Edelman and others were even shortly after their loss and its because they understand what they will have to work with next season.

He's under contract for 2016 and his hit is already accounted for in the cap figures.

I think it's more about the cap space (cost/benefit) than the possible pick involved in a trade. Rounding this 7.8 to 8, with Miguel's projection that would be 23 Mi in cap space.

Is this projection counting the 2016 salary cap raise? If not then there still more money on the table to sign all the guys we need to sign/extend and bring some quality free agents.

Jones cap hit is already figured in and the Patriots will have more than enough room to get everything they want done this off-season without touching his deal. If he wants too much they can let him walk after this coming season and still get a 3rd round comp pick for him.

Fully agree. I would rather him for one season and see him walk than have a draft pick no better than 29. I would really prefer we lock him up but understand we might not be able to keep all the young guys coming up soon.

I think hes as good as gone. Whether by FA and a 2017 comp pick in return or traded before the start of the 2016 season.

High, Collins DMC and eventually Malcolm will all be $10m AAV players on this defense

I've gone back and forth on what to do with Chandler Jones this year. It depends on us having a clear plan on what to do with the cap space + draft pick if we traded him + how the coaching staff feels about Trey Flowers.

Flowers wrecked the Packers and Giants starting LTs in the preseason. He was arguably our second best preseason player after Dion Lewis. If BB thinks he can be a starting caliber 3rd DE, then moving Jones makes some sense.

Sheard, Flowers, and Ninkovich could be just as good as Jones, Sheard, and Ninkovich. Then it becomes:

7.8 million in cap space + Braxton Miller (2nd round pick) vs. 1 year of Chandler Jones. If that cap space went to one of the top guards and a swing tackle on the market then a trade would be attractive.

I think I lean towards keeping Jones at the moment but I can see the argument for trading him.

It depends on what he thinks he's worth and what you can get. Cameron Jorden got 5/55 and Robert Quinn 4/57 as two DE examples. Sorry but no thanks. If he's thinking 5/40 then yes I would resign him even though he's been disappointing in the playoffs and not just this year. If he wants a huge contract like Quinn or Jorden and you can get a high second this year coupled with another second next year I would do it.

I think its pretty clear that we can keep him if we want to for this coming year. The dollars are there, the road to opening up cap space is not that difficult. The real question is whether maximizing his trade return is of high importance.

Some think a 1st this year, some think a 2nd this year, others a 1st next +. So you weigh that return with a 3rd rounder three drafts from now.

I understand peoples fears of giving up a probowl pass rusher in his prime, but we have some options on the team already (flowers, sheard, grissom) plus we could re-invest in the position, plus we will have those dollars to sign more depth at the position.

I have posted a general outline elsewhere, but what is better

keep the pieces together for one more year
+ 3rd rounder 2018

or
2016 Tennessee 2nd rounder
Taylor Lewan
and sign Chris Long

The second scenario is totally guesswork, but would fit my expectations for a trade. Chris long is an expected cap casualty who has been a player linked to the pats forever. Now, would that be enough to justify moving on from a double digit sack guy in his prime? That depends on the person, and I can understand the argument from both sides.

At the end of the day, this isnt really a question about Chandler jones and more personal ideas on how to build a franchise.

With Nink being up there in age I think his days as a starter are coming to an end, would love having him on the team just not as a full time player. Keep Jones this year and as others have stated sign him to a friendly deal.

It's ridiculous to trade a proven big, outside pass rusher for a lottery ticket.

People must have amnesia if they think we've had a proven young pass rusher in memory

There really isn't any reason to trade Chandler Jones. He's still under contract for another year and so we get his 12 random sacks for another year. If he walks at the end, he walks. Trey Flowers will be healthy next season so if he's good, he will replace Jones. If not, we draft a DE with our first round pick in 2017. Jones won't be able to net us a first round pick anyways, so really no point to trade him.

I've always liked Jones, and even though his production is incredibly inconsistent I'd like to see him stick around, maybe take a cheaper deal. 12 sacks no matter what is still difficult to replace unless we struck gold in the draft.

Jones is entering a "contract year" and that could lead to a monster year, if he remains healthy. This could mean he's worth more than his tag and we could keep him another year under the tag (in what would be a second "contract year"). If healthy all season, 20+ sacks and various other deeds would be likely. That would make the Defense very special.

Remember, we might not get a compensatory pick under the rules. We need more information but I suspect BB will keep him for at least another year. It will, as usual, come down to value.

It's ridiculous to trade a proven big, outside pass rusher for a lottery ticket.

People must have amnesia if they think we've had a proven young pass rusher in memory

I agree, and Jones has 4 years experience in this system, can play every position on the line, can run any stunts they use, and plays well against the run. At a certain point they need to just reap the reward of building a great defense and not just sell off the pieces for uncertain future gain.

The espn splits on Jones are very telling. All his sacks this year have come when the Pats have been winning or tied, he has 0 sacks when they have been trailing. In the last 6 games of the season he finished with 2 sack and both came against Tenn. Has zero sacks on grass and all of them have come on turf.

2 playoff games vs Denver and he has been shut out both times.

I could see him playing for a coach like Parcells and Parcells putting a gas can in his locker.

He's a 1st half player and fades mid year. The writing is on the wall when they drafted Flowers and Grissom.

Last edited:
On both of Collins' monster sacks of Peyton in the AFCCG, Jones was double-teamed, iirc.

This grass-is-greener attitude is ridiculous. The guy is a great DE for under 8million. And if someone would be better, like this Miller guy that keeps getting slobbered over, then why would he be there in the second round?

Yeesh.

Almost everybody is tradable, but the price for Jones right now should be very, very steep. the Pats aren't rebuilding a winner - they are one, right now, in a better position than any AFC team to make a Superbowl run next year.

=================
==================
MY BOTTOM LINE
Was the other Chandler Jones thread not functioning?

Are we about to embark on another offseason of you opening threads about topics that already have threads? Just use the threads that exist, your opinions however significant they may seem in your own mind do not actually require their very own thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes