PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chandler Jones Is a Mediocre Player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chandler Jones is a JAG

Just A God.

That's why I like Collins to play on the outside, his stack and shed type skill is best in space or on the edge where he can use his strength length explosiveness and athleticism to shed and accelerate. Hightower doesn't have the explosiveness to sustain pressure on the QB off the edge,especially a mobile qb. He is more beat a block and set his edge. However as a 3-4 end he would be right near the ball. He had 2 sacks today but I don't see him sustaining it. That's why I like Hightower to fill out to about 290-300 and play 3-4 end where he can use his power and cunning moves to beat blocks and be right there at the football. He is 270-275 so it would only take another 15-20 lbs to get him to 290-295. His frame is massive, Easley looks like a kid next to his frame. His frame could easily hold 15-20 more lbs without losing much athleticism if any which would make him a near 300 lb freak. Much the same way Justin Smith who was a very strong 4-3 end with good moves and athleticism filled out from 270 to 285-290 and made the switch to a 3-4 end and has been all pro. Hightower I think compares to Justin Smith in size athleticism and style of play. Justin was a 4-3 end with great power and good athleticism for a power player with some cunning moves although not explosively quick like top edge rushers. He got his share of sacks but wasnt there with top explosive edge rusher 4-3 DEs and OLBs. He filled out another 15-20 lbs moved to 3-4 end and became multi time all pro and likely HOF candidate. High tower looks like a young Justin Smith 2.0

There are times I regret my lazy maturity. I wish I had written down the names of the posters that have been calling Jones over-hyped.

i thought he would be really good but never elite.....i hope im wrong.....it increasingly looks like i will be wrong.....if/when he is an AP first team all pro, ill admit i was completely wrong

i thought he would be really good but never elite.....i hope im wrong.....it increasingly looks like i will be wrong.....if/when he is an AP first team all pro, ill admit i was completely wrong

Oh...I get it, so RIGHT NOW you're like 10% wrong?...20%?...33 1/3%? 52 & 17/64ths% wrong?

I remember back when this board was completely different, about 1/100th the size it is now and there was a member (probably still here under a different nick) that had that same take about Willie McG...and then when Willie and the Pats hit some rough years, he pounded us all that we would experience devastating losses every time we made the playoffs because Willie was not living up to his draft status.

Sorta came back to bite him in his old azz, eh? Chandler Jones is a young, exciting defensive player for our team. I'm a fan of his just like I was always a fan of Willie. Grass is always greener syndrome is a suffocating way to be a fan IMO.

Oh...I get it, so RIGHT NOW you're like 10% wrong?...20%?...33 1/3%? 52 & 17/64ths% wrong?

I remember back when this board was completely different, about 1/100th the size it is now and there was a member (probably still here under a different nick) that had that same take about Willie McG...and then when Willie and the Pats hit some rough years, he pounded us all that we would experience devastating losses every time we made the playoffs because Willie was not living up to his draft status.

Sorta came back to bite him in his old azz, eh? Chandler Jones is a young, exciting defensive player for our team. I'm a fan of his just like I was always a fan of Willie. Grass is always greener syndrome is a suffocating way to be a fan IMO.

oh, please, lighten up.....i was just responding to the other poster in the most honest and forthright way possible.....i realize that the all pro team isnt everything.....but its a decent barometer

i could have pretended that i was one that thought he would be elite, since he is looking great right now......but i didnt......im honest and will admit when im wrong.....but its still a little early.....

OK, I've lightened up...your turn...:D

im good......i realize my poking fun at tom probably alienates some......but it gets boring.......

plus, hes rich......an all time great.......etc, etc.......i doubt im hurting his feelings

and i dont mean it in a bad way

he was my preseason pick for defensive player of the year, i have no proof of this but im just happy the jets didnt pick him, because a lot of people thought thats where he was going to go. jones was pretty raw coming out of college, im just happy to see hes finally coming a long, lets not forget htis guy had 10 or 11 sacks last year, but its not always about sacks. gotta get that consistent pressure

Everybody lighten up lol, this is just one game, last year he was defensive player of month then didn't get a sack the last 4-5 games of the season, then none in playoffs. Let's hope you stay wrong and he keeps up his dominant play. I don't think you will care being wrong about him. He does look noticeably more filled out yet lean and just as quick if not quicker.

I always said he has very very good burst but not elite rare explosion. However he can bend and flatten very well for over 6'5 and 266 lbs. And he has crazy long arms he is getting better at using to full potential. The little extra power he added will help him with bigger tackles he struggled with last year along with improved hand use. Playing out like I said it would. Chandler may not have elite rare explosiveness but if he gets stronger he can still be an elite pass rusher through a combination of all his talents including his not elite rare explosion but very very good burst, great bend,flexibility and athleticism for his size, 36" arms. He is getting better, elite actually at maximizing hand use through boxing and mma hand usage drills while working on pass rush moves. Filling out his frame and adding some strength. And he works hard to get quicker,stronger,more flexible as he plays with top level motor, endursnce and urgency. Through a combo of all those things I believed he could be top 5-8 putting pressure on the qb. Even though he doesn't have quite as much explosion as Con'vict miller,Quinn,Aldon Smith or Clowney Or his teammate Collins but has many tools working for him. I would guess 13-16 sacks for Chandler Jones.

Hightower doesn't have his burst or rush talent but he is very powerful with cunning moves, he is seriously reminding me of Justin Smith who was good as edge rusher then bulked up 15-20 lbs and moved inside to DE in a 3-4 and is a multi all pro. Hightower has a huge frame, Easley looks small next to him. Hightower could easily put 20 lbs on that big frame without losing much athleticism. He could be an elite freakish 3-4 end with similar size power and skill as Justin Smith. Hightower on inside at 3-4 end with Jones and Collins exploding off the edge would harass QBs. Interesting if Buchanan can step up and pressure QB as part time player.

Referring to Jones as a just a pass rusher is wrong. His first year he was solid in run stopping and setting the edge. Since then he has been very good and is approaching dominant at that role. Jones is a complete player, has a great attitude and works hard. If he stays healthy, he will be a perennial all-pro.

That was a textbook field goal block. It was beautiful a work of art.

Chandler is really beginning to round into one of the finer DE's in the league. It's been a pleasure to watch him mature. If he stays healthy, he's poised for an absolutely monster season. Like Watt, he effects most of the plays on the field. Either directly or indirectly.

Over on Twitter Bears fans are livid that their GM took Shea McClellin when They could have had Jones. :)

As they should be, even at the time that seemed like a bad call.

Chandler Jones has clearly filled out as he matured. Hopefully he has taken the next step to consistency as last year he struggled with some Tackles but he looks little stronger to go with his length and athleticism. High tower I'm still skeptical of him being somebody who can consistently get pressure on qb because he doesn't have burst and athleticism of Jones. This was a bad performance by vikings online and a terrible QB. I like Collins explosiveness better as rush olb. Besides Collins isn't an inside player, ilb does not play to his length explosion and athleticism. He isn't an inside banger at all. Collins can play rush OLB while Hightower moves inside and does a lot of blitzing from inside.

WILB doesn't need to be a banger: look at how Bruschi played in the dynasty years. I actually think putting Collins at OLB would play to his weaknesses, since he would be responsible for setting the edge and that's probably the weakest part of his game right now.

im still trying to figure out if I like Chandler better or McCourty. im going to wait to get the next jersey until one of these guys signs an extension

im still trying to figure out if I like Chandler better or McCourty. im going to wait to get the next jersey until one of these guys signs an extension
4021242-5893926616-BH8VO.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey