PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chandler Jones #5 on NFL.com's top 40 Players Making the Leap in 2013

On Reiss' blog, he says the Patriots website now has Jones listed as 6'5", 265 lbs. That's 5 lbs. more than last year. Hope the extra muscle translates to more sacks.

I like how the article uses, "He might end up like Richard Seymour" as some kind of downside. He doesn't have the size to be the same kind of player, but if he managed 8-9 sacks while being a disruptive force that allows other players to thrive, like Seymour used to do, I couldn't care less what his numbers are, that's a GREAT year.

I like how the article uses, "He might end up like Richard Seymour" as some kind of downside. He doesn't have the size to be the same kind of player, but if he managed 8-9 sacks while being a disruptive force that allows other players to thrive, like Seymour used to do, I couldn't care less what his numbers are, that's a GREAT year.

Yeah, being the next Richard Seymour is definitely no knock. I'll take Jones as a Seymour 2.0.

But I wonder if he isn't an OLB in the 3-4 more. I mean Willie Mac was bigger than Jones. And I think 265LBs is too light for a DE in the 3-4.

I haven't been at practice. So I don't know where he has been lining up in the 3-4 when they have been running it.

Yeah, being the next Richard Seymour is definitely no knock. I'll take Jones as a Seymour 2.0.

But I wonder if he isn't an OLB in the 3-4 more. I mean Willie Mac was bigger than Jones. And I think 265LBs is too light for a DE in the 3-4.

I haven't been at practice. So I don't know where he has been lining up in the 3-4 when they have been running it.

Adalius was about that size too, and even though he didn't work out long term, he was effective for the first year and a half. I could see that role for Chandler as well.

He doesn't look all that much bigger than last year. :coffee:

Chandler Jone #5 on NFL.com's top 40 Players Making the Leap in 2013

On Reiss' blog, he says the Patriots website now has Jones listed as 6'5", 265 lbs. That's 5 lbs. more than last year. Hope the extra muscle translates to more sacks.

He was 266 pounds at the combine, I'd say he is between 280-285 pounds currently.

He's still too small for a 3-4 DE. He'd be more ideally suited in the "elephant" role.

So what fronts are the Pats running in TC? All I know is that BB is no dummy and he will find a way to use Jones in situations where he can make the quarterback very uncomfortable.

He has the body type and build of Jason Pierre-Paul. I've seen him affect games last year without a single sack because of his push, leverage and athleticism. And he has also said to bulk up this off season. Last year, without being hurt he could have and was well on his way to being the Defensive Rookie of the Year and racking up double digit sacks. Not only that, he does a signature that Bill Belichick likes to preach and that's the strip sack seen by Mike Vrabel, Rob Ninkovich and many others in NE. I think that this year he rises up to elite status and will be forced to be double teamed and even triple teamed. He has that type of ability. That should also create for others, like Jamie Collins, Benard, or Hightower, or Ninkovich coming off the edge.

Chandler will be a big problem for OL's this year.
He's a freak and will actually improve as the season rolls on:cool:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Back